Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Blazer; Securing Spare Tire Against Theft

hunter01
11-06-2004, 11:49 AM
I have an 02 Blazer with the spare tire mounted underneath the back of the vehicle. It's the type that is lowered by way of a cable using the end of the lug wrench as a handle. Does anyone know of an easy way to put a lock on the spare tire to guard it against theft. I know someone who had his spare stolen, then didn't even realize it was gone untill he got a flat and it wasn't there.

OverBoardProject
11-07-2004, 01:38 PM
I'd get a nice piece of chain around 18", and get any welder to burn a hole through a piece of scrap metel around 5"x5" that will let the chain easily slide through... but not big enough for a pad lock to slide through.

Then I'd lower the tire, bolt the chain to the frame above, grease the tire lowering system, raise the tire with the chain through the big hole... slip the steel plate over the chain, and secure the lock to the chain.

Try getting 1 of those locks that is waterproof... or put duct tape over the key hole.

duct tape the key to your tire iron.

Don't you hate it when you have to chain up everything to prevent it from walking away

movin2stereo
11-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Good idea.

hunter01
11-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Thanks, that's what I'm going to do.

BlazerLT
11-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Bro, no one is going to steal your spare.

Just relax. I have never had any steal mine and it has been 10 years.

OverBoardProject
11-08-2004, 10:57 PM
I agree with you BlazerLT, unless you have a nice mag mounted on the back.. but just for peace of mind it's well worth the few bux, and 1/2 hour work.

Then you know that you won't get stranded because of a petty thief like hunter01's friend did

chcknugget
11-08-2004, 11:04 PM
My dad had his stolen in a KODAK parking lot. Full sized tires are sell for a lot on the underground I guess... It was stolen and the jerk slashed his tire the same day, and It's not like my dad just didn't notice it was gone before it was slashed, it was done in one day. The spare tire cable was dragging on the ground and the vehicle was only a couple months old. Dealers sell spare tire locks if you'd like that.

Unfortunately these things just happen in the states, though it was like someone was out to get him...

OverBoardProject
11-08-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm lucky I live in a small canadian town where would be theives usually get frightened when they realize that there are lots of lost mine shafts, and most people are hunters.

BlazerLT
11-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Were do you live, Sudbury or something?

OverBoardProject
11-09-2004, 01:18 AM
I live 1 hour north of Spokane, Wa... in the Okanagan Desert

rustbucket
11-09-2004, 07:41 AM
I bought a NEW 93 and I had the spare wheel stolen the DAY after I picked it up. I bitched to the dealer saying I had no idea it was so easy to steal, and he sold me a lock made for it.

movin2stereo
11-10-2004, 09:32 PM
I heard of people getting new wheels and tires by stealing spares at car lots.Midnight shopping as I heard it called.

OverBoardProject
11-10-2004, 09:42 PM
I forget where I read it at but I recently read an article where some gut had a notice placed in all his tires asking any tire store to call him collect if they repaired the tires, and weren't on his car

Aparently all his wheels, and tires were stolen a week later... 6 months or so he got a collect call from across the country, and got his wheels back with fried tires

Add your comment to this topic!