Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 eclipse gsx or srt-4?

CrzyMR2T
11-06-2004, 02:11 AM
just wondering what you guys would get. the eclipse has 75k miles with a lot of mods, selling for 10k. like t3/t4 turbo, fmic, 550cc injectors, shocks, brakes, viper alarm, electronic boost control, turbo timer. or a brand new srt-4? insurance is also higher on the srt-4.

k3smostwanted
11-06-2004, 02:36 AM
i would get the eclipse just solely based on looks. eclipse looks nice in my eyes but the SRT-4 just doesnt spark my interest. but the warranty and bran newness of the SRT-4 would also be real nice to have.

NISSANSPDR
11-06-2004, 11:36 AM
SRT4...the 2nd gen Eclipse AWD is heavier and not as good as the 1st gen AWD...

With the SRT4 you get the warranty, Mopar at your fingertips, and dont have to worry about DSM reliability that is like a monkey on your shoulder just waiting to bite you in your ear!

CrzyMR2T
11-06-2004, 11:56 AM
SRT4...the 2nd gen Eclipse AWD is heavier and not as good as the 1st gen AWD...

With the SRT4 you get the warranty, Mopar at your fingertips, and dont have to worry about DSM reliability that is like a monkey on your shoulder just waiting to bite you in your ear!

well the 2g eclips gsx isnt that heavy though, its about as heavy as a wrx. its curb weight is around 3150 lbs.

whats better in the 1g than the 2g besides weight?

kman10587
11-06-2004, 12:30 PM
As long as you know how to work on one, go with the DSM. The SRT-4's front-wheel-drive really becomes a pain in the ass once you hit about 400 wheel horsepower.

pitbullgst
11-09-2004, 06:13 PM
1g dsm = 14b turbo capable of putting dsm in the 11 second 1/4 mile
and also oil cooled instead of the 2g dsm which has a water cooled t25 turbo that would be luck to get a 13second car from because they do not hold boost at high rpm. 1g throttle body is 60mm compared to 52 or 54 mm 2g throttle body. intake mani on a 1g has larger ports and better flowing. 1g heads have larger ports intake and exhaust and slightly better cams. pre 92 engines had the 6 bolt flywheel that does not suffer from crankwalk like the later 7 bolt flywheel. also the 1g is way lighter. i had a 2g and the only thing they had on a 1g was a better exhaust manifold. the srt 4 has a bigger engine, fmic, and bigger turbo and is easy to upgrade because you just get stage upgrades from mopar. dodge was also pressed for time in development and ended up using high quality parts. if you can find a suspension and slicks to get it to hook to the ground i would take the srt 4 over a 2g dsm but not a 1g dsm awd. my meager .02 cents.

CrzyMR2T
11-09-2004, 07:45 PM
1g dsm = 14b turbo capable of putting dsm in the 11 second 1/4 mile
and also oil cooled instead of the 2g dsm which has a water cooled t25 turbo that would be luck to get a 13second car from because they do not hold boost at high rpm. 1g throttle body is 60mm compared to 52 or 54 mm 2g throttle body. intake mani on a 1g has larger ports and better flowing. 1g heads have larger ports intake and exhaust and slightly better cams. pre 92 engines had the 6 bolt flywheel that does not suffer from crankwalk like the later 7 bolt flywheel. also the 1g is way lighter. i had a 2g and the only thing they had on a 1g was a better exhaust manifold. the srt 4 has a bigger engine, fmic, and bigger turbo and is easy to upgrade because you just get stage upgrades from mopar. dodge was also pressed for time in development and ended up using high quality parts. if you can find a suspension and slicks to get it to hook to the ground i would take the srt 4 over a 2g dsm but not a 1g dsm awd. my meager .02 cents.

i heard about that crank walk, or thrust bearing failure issue, its not all that bad. i heard the 95-97 yr got the most of it though. i also heard that its the 7 bolt engine combined with 7 bolt tranny that causes crank walk.

drdisque
11-09-2004, 09:35 PM
the transmission has nothing to do with crankwalk, you just notice less 99's with crankwalk because less 99's were made than any other year

sivic02
11-09-2004, 09:44 PM
For the price its hard to beat the performance potential of an srt-4 out of the box. But you also have to sit down and ask yourself if you really want to drive a neon.

thecackster
11-10-2004, 10:35 AM
I am quoting the FAQ from the eclipse/talon/laser forum. Personally I would go with the eclipse
Now, don't close the window and run to your nearest Honda dealership just yet...thrust bearing failure can happen to ANY vehicle. And in all honesty, it only happens to DSM's very rarely. If you choose to buy an Eclipse or Talon, and you shop around well enough to find one that looks to be well-maintained, you can minimize your chances of getting crankwalk. WORST case scenario: the used car you buy has crankwalk, and you have to get a 6-bolt engine put into it for $2000 or so. But, in all likelihood your car will be good to go for many years. I would not recommend buying a DSM without being willing to spend this money if your car gets crankwalk. Allow me to stress again that it is very rare, and the pleasures of owning a DSM far outweigh the risk or even cost of crankwalk, in the rare event that it occurs!
4) What to Look For: Just like any other used car, you're going to want to look for a DSM that appears to be well-cared for are in good condition. Check the oil to see if it is filthy...observe the tread left on the tires...see if the interior is in good condition. Often, people who are nit-picky about maintaining their interior also care for the mechanics of the car well. Buying any used car is a risk, but you can maximize your chances of having a good experience if you get the vehicle inspected by a trusted mechanic. Ideally, you want a family mechanic who will put the car up on a rack for you and examine everything. If this is not available to you (you're buying on ebay, etc.), Pep Boys has a used car inspection service for $30. Take the car to Pep Boys, and they will do a comprehensive inspection, fill out a checklist of interior, exterior, and mechanical ratings, and test drive the car for you. Either way you go, it is far better to spend $150 having several cars inspected than getting stuck needing new brakes, a new clutch, and/or a new engine.

NerveAgent
11-13-2004, 01:13 PM
eclipse gsx 1st gen

3000ways
11-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Eclipse! SRT-4 is not a bad choice either, but FWD vs. AWD, I'm always gonna pick AWD.

Add your comment to this topic!