Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 gt air blows through all vents all the time

dakotaisthedog
11-04-2004, 09:13 PM
It's getting colder out now...and all the heat in the car is on the ceiling. My feet are freezing!!

The heater blows through all the vents, including floor and upper vents. The vent and bi-level are just the same. Nothing is directed to one specific place anymore.

I've checked the vacuum under the glove box. It has good suction. I found 3 "actuators" ? and I watched them work as I turned the knob. They appear to be working.

Does anybody have any ideas on this one? Is there another actuator located somewhere I can't see?

Help!!

JonJon68
11-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Check the vacuum under the hood near the battery and up under the plastic engine cover.

richtazz
11-05-2004, 03:04 PM
does your car have climate control or manual air?
IF it has climate control, your mode actuator is located on the driver's side of the console, up high under the dash. just above the temp actuator for the drivers side control.
The manual air is located on the driver's side also, just above the single temp actuator motor . The other two actuators you found operate the fresh air/recirculate door (high on pasenger side, straight above the blower)and the other is the defroster valve actuator (passenger side of center console).

dakotaisthedog
11-05-2004, 05:18 PM
It has manual air. So do you think the single temp actuator might be bad?

It's a difficult bugger to see, but getting clear down by the gas pedal, I could look up and see the actuator working when I turn the air from floor to vent. Is that the actuator that directs the air to the floor?

dakotaisthedog
11-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Or are you talking about the mode actuator being faulty?

richtazz
11-06-2004, 11:16 AM
It's the mode actuator, not the temp actuator. The mode actuator is responsible for changing from vent to floor etc... The temp actuator just regulates the temperature of the air. I had mentioned the other actuators just so you would be clear as to which actuator did what and their general position in the vehicle. That way, you wouldn't accidentally replace the temp actuator when you meant to change the mode valve.

dakotaisthedog
11-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I appreciate the info! I took a second look at the mode actuator and found out that it is working, but it's slipping off of the clamp that holds it. When I hold it in place, I can feel the air blowing full force on the floor again. So now all I've gotta do is get a good strong glue to hold the actuator onto the plastic clamp, unless anybody can think of a better idea than glue.

Thanks,
Bryan

Add your comment to this topic!