Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Acceleration

explorerfriendly
11-04-2004, 05:05 PM
I have a brother with a 95 ford explorer V6 OHC 2wd with 5sp. manual transmission. I have just got my liscense and i learned on his car. I am looking for another explorer or maybe a cherokee with a manual b/c i feel that they have soooo much better power< but everyone else thinks im crazy to get a manual in an suv and that there is no performance difference. IS THIS TRUE??? This suv seems to have the best acceleration when paired with the manual, and its so much fun to drive, but it is hard to find any manuals any more, will there be a noticable acceleration difference in the explorer if i get the more popular auto V6 SOCH engine?????

dxrflyboy
11-06-2004, 05:12 PM
If you have your heart set on a 4.0L SOHC and a 5-speed, you may want to consider a Ranger pickup if you can't find an Exploder equipped that way.

geoffapril
11-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Although manuals may be fun to drive, on an explorer, I would think it would be a different story. I have a 2000 with the 4.0 SOCH...I love the engine. The only times where I think the power is not up to par is passing above 80 mph. If you slap on a cold air intake, there is a little improvement and a much deeper sound. You can also chip it, however, you then have to use premium gas. My brother had a 98 sport with the OHC and acceleration was not better than mine. (both were auto) Regardless, I think you should go out and test drive an explorer with a 4.0 SOCH auto and see what you think. It doesnt quite have the torque of the V8, but it has only 5 hp less than it. I think you will be impressed.

parkstriton
01-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Ive got a 1991 ex for sale 5- speed runs strong.It has the 4.0 . Its in pretty good shape. let me know if your inerested. 1800 firm can deliver within reason area (located near GGreensboro NC)

parkstriton
01-13-2005, 11:11 PM
oh by the way it is 2 WD

explorerfriendly
01-14-2005, 06:04 PM
thanks for the offer but my dad got a new job and for my birthday drove up with a his old 2004 Range rover with a big bow on it, scince his company gave him a nice new bimmer. And i must say it has even better acceleration than my brother's explorer, so i am happy!
thanks anyway!

Add your comment to this topic!