Accidentally ran out of gas, and now wont start after refill?

ryanbailor
11-04-2004, 07:07 AM
I was on the freeway, and it felt like I was running out of gas... I got off, and luckily made it to the gas station. I filled up, and she started right up like normal, but i pushed on the gas pedal and it stalled. this kept happening for abut 5 minutes until it decided to not start up at all anymore... Can anyone help me, it's my only mode of transportation right now.

izzybay74
11-04-2004, 02:31 PM
I pulled into the grocery store, needle was on empty, and it started sounding like it was out of gas, then when I put gas in it wouldnt start! Could it be the fuel pump?

boschmann
11-04-2004, 04:15 PM
'86 Golf? Can you hear the main pump (by the right rear wheel) run for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to on position? If not suspect it's died. If it hums there is also a transfer pump in the tank that would need to be checked.

edspecR
11-04-2004, 09:26 PM
this is why i never run on empty. running on empty exposes the internal fuel tank fuel pump, which can cause damage. maybe this is what happened to you.

take it as a good lesson in taking care of your car... or treating it nicely :)

ryanbailor
11-07-2004, 04:02 PM
'86 Golf? Can you hear the main pump (by the right rear wheel) run for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to on position? If not suspect it's died. If it hums there is also a transfer pump in the tank that would need to be checked.

Hey thanks, I cant hear a thing when i turn the key on, so I'm changing out the external fuel pump. Can you help me with some breif basic instructions? Or tell me anything I should know NOT to do?

boschmann
11-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Try this first. Locate the fuel pump relay, it is on the main relay panel, upper row, last on the right. When you pull it out you will notice two larger pins that are perpendicular to each other. Get a jumper wire or paper clip & connect these pins on the relay panel (key on). If the fuel pumps run then it may only be the relay.

ryanbailor
11-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Try this first. Locate the fuel pump relay, it is on the main relay panel, upper row, last on the right. When you pull it out you will notice two larger pins that are perpendicular to each other. Get a jumper wire or paper clip & connect these pins on the relay panel (key on). If the fuel pumps run then it may only be the relay.

Okay I tried it and it's not the relay. Should I just do the fuel pump now?

boschmann
11-10-2004, 03:32 PM
If you jumpered those two pins & the pumps didn't run (& you checked the FP fuse, #10 I beleive) then it's back to the main pump first. You should check for power there before replacing. When the key is turned to on position there should be 12V for a couple of seconds.

kmohr3
11-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Usually the transfer pump in the tank will fail before the main pump.

Add your comment to this topic!