Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 LeSabre Power Lock Relay

OldsBuickGuy82
11-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Power Locks have stopped working all together, at the same time. Someone told me I should check the relay. Anyone know where it is located?...

Thanks

buickmastermind
11-04-2004, 05:46 PM
The relay for the locks is located next to the fuses. It is the larger silver colored one. It should be listed on the fuse list. You have one for the power windows, and one for the locks.

11-04-2004, 06:23 PM
On my 1995, the power lock relay located behind the glove box only controls the keyless entry portion of the power locks. There is a relay to unlock the driver door before the others when using keyless entry, and a power trunk unlock relay. The relay that actually controls the power locks is a large black relay located under the drivers power seat under the carpet. How do I know this? I got the floor wet and shorted it out, which completely killed my power locks.

OldsBuickGuy82
11-04-2004, 08:29 PM
The relay for the locks is located next to the fuses. It is the larger silver colored one. It should be listed on the fuse list. You have one for the power windows, and one for the locks.

I had a feeling it was in there. Guess I should have looked first...I'll look now:)

On my 1995, the power lock relay located behind the glove box only controls the keyless entry portion of the power locks. There is a relay to unlock the driver door before the others when using keyless entry, and a power trunk unlock relay. The relay that actually controls the power locks is a large black relay located under the drivers power seat under the carpet. How do I know this? I got the floor wet and shorted it out, which completely killed my power locks.

Hope the 1987 isn't that complicated...And why put it under the carpet under the seat?...Was it meant to be a mystery?

11-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Why did they put the air bag DERM/SDM/computer under the carpet below the passenger seat? It's mounted under the dash in most other models, including all other 1995s body styles. I guess so that it too would short out and make my freaking air bag light stay on all the time!

Another interesting note on the Power Lock relay. On another GM body style.... the 1995 C-body I believe (Park Ave), they placed the relay in the drivers wheel well. Where it also got wet, shorted out, and started fires. There was a recall issued on that nice feature.

My power lock relay is now located on top of the carpet under the drivers seat. The carpet already has a wire slot for the power seats, so I wrapped the harness in electrical tape and pushed it up through the hole. That way if it ever gets wet again, it won't sit in water while the carpet dries, and I'll be able to easily lift it out of the water if need be.

Anyway... if your 87 doesn't have the added feature of unlocking the drivers' door first (when using the keyless entry), your wiring and relays shouldn't be near as confusing.

buickmastermind
11-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Thankfully, the older cars were simple. Just a single relay. Methinks that I will be holding on to mine for as long as I can. No airbags, no computer controller tranny, no fancy abs or tcs, simple electronics, and a kick--- motor. Simple cars = lotsa fun. That, and the '86 has the coolest Buick grille ever.

OldsBuickGuy82
11-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Ok, so I looked and it is in with the fuses. When I get a replacement and put it in, should the locks just work again?...If that is the problem of course...

buickmastermind
11-05-2004, 10:59 AM
They should, but before you buy the replacement, try pulling it out and putting it back in. See if the locks work then. Then try switching it with the other one. If the locks work, then just go buy a new one.

11-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Note that the "other one" you are switching it with could be your power windows... or it might be your fuel pump... (I know those three are the same on my 95 Buick... which is a completely different car, yes.)

Still, I mention this fact so you'll be aware. Just in case you can't get your car doesn't start afterwards. I.e. Fuel pump.

buickmastermind
11-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Yes, thank you for saying something. The other relay is for the power windows. The fuel pump relay is under the hood, so you should still be able to start the car. Oh, and if you switch them, and the suspect relay begins to work, then you don't need to worry about it for a while.

OldsBuickGuy82
11-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Thanks all...

:)

Add your comment to this topic!