Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with deciding on a welder

want2twinturbo
11-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Ok. Im looking to make a turbo kit for my car when I get it. And I know that the best types of turbo flanges are 1/2 in. I am trying to decide on which type of welder to buy in order to give me the compacity to weld 1/2 in. to 1/4 in. stainless, normal steel, cast iron and aluminum. Is there a welder that can do this? If so what are your suggestions for a welder to start with on this stuff?
Thanks.

TheSilentChamber
11-04-2004, 05:53 AM
If you want all of that your going to need a TIG. Unless your going to be doing alot of metal work its probably not feaseable for you to buy a welder just to weld up and turbo flange and inercooler piping. It would probably be better to just get it all mocked up then take it to a welding shop. You would you have to buy the TIG, the tank to go with it, spend a long time learning how to use it, it wouold be easyer and cheeper just to take it to someone else.

mike@af
11-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Have you ever welded before? Its not the equipment that makes a good weld, its the operator that makes a good weld.

Turbo's need withstand a great deal of heat and pressure. If your welds dont have enough penetration, and are not a good fission of the two plates everything will just fall apart.

I would suggest you do what TSC said, take it to a welding shop for them to do it for you.

want2twinturbo
11-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Well i still want to be able to do any projects i have for my car after i am done building the turbo kit and i figured buying a welder would be more cost-effictive in the long run. And no i have never welded in my life except on a stick welder in my friends garage using old crappy rod.

mike@af
11-04-2004, 03:11 PM
BTW, why are you building a turbo? Its going to cost you much more to build one instead of buying?

Never welded in your life...well good luck.You will need it. TIG welding is what you will probably need to do. TIG welding is the hardest form of welding to learn. Not to mention welding two different thicknesses of metal is a pain in the ass to do.

A good TIG welder will set you back about $1000 used, $1500-$3000 new.

I suggest you go to school if you are going to weld up a turbo kit, and then try to get your certification.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

want2twinturbo
11-04-2004, 03:12 PM
wow thanks..didnt know there was so much to this. Im building the turbo kit because it is almost impossible to find one for a 3.8l mustang and even if i find one it will cost more than i can hope to have right now. So i figure if i can find two realitivly cheap turbos and some other slightly in-expensive things i can make one for my self. I also figure i can use the welder to help out with any other fabrication things i need in the future.

mike@af
11-04-2004, 03:17 PM
I am curious though. Who's machining all you stuff? Like the turbine, bearings, housing and stuff?

want2twinturbo
11-04-2004, 03:22 PM
I meant the system not the actual turbos themselves.. you know like exhaust manifolds, intercooler piping and other stuff..

mike@af
11-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Ah. That makes more sense. lf you need any help with welding, post up. We'll be glad to help.

want2twinturbo
11-04-2004, 03:32 PM
I will. and thanks for the advise. oh one more question: What type of brand do you think would work best to suit my needs? i dont need the specific model just a good brand.

mike@af
11-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Good brands... My favorites are Ol' Blue (Miller Electric), Good Old Red (Lincoln Electric), and Hobart, which is technically Miller Electrics stuff. With Miller, you can usually get the same thing made by Hobart for less, you're just paying an extra few hundred for Miller's name.

want2twinturbo
11-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks

TheSilentChamber
11-04-2004, 05:09 PM
yeah, millers are great. Probably fixing to buy me a new lincoln though

Add your comment to this topic!