Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

No power to Code Scanner

ProbeKiller
11-03-2004, 04:46 PM
1997 Cav has been doing some weird electrical things lately. Dying when turning on AC, Hazard lights coming on sporadically, and now this morning Engine Check Light and ETS off light comes on and stays on. First thing I did was take it to Auto Zone.

Auto Zone plugs in Scanning Tool and gets not power from connector?! Weird!! Checked for obvious loose or disconnected wires. Also pulled&checked every single Fuse and Relay under hood and inside door panel. What the heck. Our Chevy dealer around here is shady so I prefer not to take it there. Any ideas?

P.S. dealership replaced battery and Altenator 1yr ago.

richtazz
11-03-2004, 05:26 PM
check for loose battery cables or bad grounds. most oddball electrical gremlins can be traced to bad conections at the battery or chassis grounds.

ProbeKiller
11-04-2004, 10:42 AM
The connections are good, but puzzles me is why there is no power to the scanner when it's plugged in?

loccusst
11-28-2004, 01:00 PM
My wifes car that she just bought...96 cavalier z24, did the exact same thing and we are trying to figure out whats going on too. No power to the diagnostic scanner and the check engine light and ets light is on. I know that the ets light comes on when the check engine light comes on so I am not sure what's going on. Have you found out the problem yet?

ProbeKiller
11-28-2004, 05:11 PM
So guess what!!! turns out it's just a stupid fuse. Same fuse that goes with horn, cigarette lighter. called "CIG" (I believe) on the fuse panel diagram.

ProbeKiller
11-28-2004, 05:12 PM
If I'm wrong just look it up in the index of your owners manual under fuses.

Add your comment to this topic!