Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

****2004 AFMOTY Contest Is On !!****

Pages : [1] 2

primera man
11-03-2004, 03:54 AM
Its that time of the year again !!! :grinno: :grinno:
The 3rd annual AFMOTY CONTEST :grinyes: :naughty: :grinyes: :naughty:

PLEASE READ THE RULES SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION IF YOU HAVE ONE.

"AF's 2004 MODEL OF THE YEAR"

The rules ARE

*Only open to AF members who have joined AF BEFORE the 1st December 2004
*Must be a model built this year (2004) by a AF member before the 31st December 2004.
*Entry will open on the 1st December and close on 31st December 2004...NO models will be accepted before this date
*One photo only will be posted...so make it a good one.
*The photo MUST be uploaded from AF….no other site allowed to host your photo.
*Only ONE model per person.
*The contest will be open to the FIRST 50 MODELS I RECEIVE This is due to the large amount of people that are members on AF. So you will need to be quick if you want to enter. (This may change if we get flooded with entries)
*Open to cars and bikes only....any scale.
*The Modeling Mods decision will be FINAL.
*This is run as a Peoples Choice contest.....no category for different models

HOW TO ENTER.

*Two photos to be sent by Private Message to .....Me, "Primera Man"
*ONE photo for the contest…the SECOND photo to show that the model is yours. Take a photo of the model with you’re A.F name on a piece of paper with the model to prove it’s yours
*Photo's only...no text

HOW TO VOTE.

*Once all the cars have been intered I will make a thread at the start of the year.
*Each model will have a number to vote beside it, and the person who built the kit.
*To vote, simply send a PM to me with your vote....NO OTHER VOTES WILL BE ALLOWED
*You can vote for THREE (3) MODELS
1st=3pts
2nd=2pts
3rd=1pt

*Only AF members can vote that are members BEFORE the 31st December 2004. This will also stop people logging on with different names to vote again. If a vote is suspect, I can check it out and it will be deleted along with the entry of the model.
*You CAN NOT vote for your own model
*The thread will be locked so you can view it only.
*My idea of doing this is that it willl ONLY have the pics of the models.
*Stop's any AF Mod from deleting or changing the votes. This way if the poll is changed in any way I will know as I will have all the votes.
*The judges vote will be FINAL.
*In the event of a tie...i will go through the votes to see who had the most 3pt votes to get a winner.
*The updates of voting will be posted every 1-2 days
*Voting will finish on the 31st January 2005 and the winner can then show off as much as they like !!!

I will enter the contest, but in the event of myself coming first, the runner up will receive the prize

I will give a prize out to the winner.

I'll buy a kit of some kind for the winner (A new Tamiya/Revell/Fujimi)

If any body else wishes to add a prize…..let us know so it can be added to the winners list !!

So stay tuned for the kit i get !!

Remember....this is just abit of FUN.....Don’t flame me or others if things don’t go your way. I'm doing this for SOMETHING THAT I HOPE YOU WILL ALL ENJOY AGAIN.
As I said before...you guys will have to trust me on this one with the voting. The only person that will see the voting will be Myself or the other modeling mods if I decide I need a hand with a decision. All I ask is for you all to be honest and help out our own little "AF Model Club"
You can help out by adding the contest into all of your sigs to remind people :naughty:

Goodluck to all of you that enter.

Cheers
PMan

primera man
11-03-2004, 04:04 AM
I'll make this thread a sticky later on in the week after its been viewed in the forum several times :naughty:

GvEman
11-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Awesome! This year I will try to make a entery in this. I guess that I don’t have a chance against al the master modellers here on AF. But it is just a bit of fun I guess;)

RallyRaider
11-03-2004, 04:53 AM
Cool Warren. Can I suggest two things:

1. We add links to completed/progress threads so that voters can do some research on each entry and make a solid decision.

2. We don't do a forum wide announcement. It could limit the number of voters, which is a good thing if you're the one tallying. But hopefully they will be modeling forum regulars and more likely to know what constitutes an expertly built model.

RallyRaider
11-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Just thought of another idea. As a prize could we arrange for the winner to be given a custom title - "AFMOTY Winner 2004" or something?

ozstrider
11-03-2004, 05:04 AM
Awesome, hopefully i can get something done now school is finished. Maybe get my Turbo Altezza done. As for the one pic, are we allowed to make a chopped pic with lots of angles? Or just one straight up shot, unedited? Sorry if thats already been answered in the main post, i kinda skimmed over it.

ales
11-03-2004, 05:41 AM
Just thought of another idea. As a prize could we arrange for the winner to be given a custom title - "AFMOTY Winner 2004" or something?

Excellent idea! I also think that the previous winners should be given this title for their respective years! If they choose to have it, of course.

JTRACING
11-03-2004, 06:40 AM
Great idea.

Hiroboy
11-03-2004, 06:43 AM
Nice to see AFMOY back again, i'll donate some prizes for the winners, I'll sort out what soon.

mike@af
11-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Um...I had a comment, but forgot. Oh yea, I agree with Phil.

pettercardoso
11-03-2004, 08:27 AM
I've read the rules a couple of times, and yes, I saw the People's choice part. But I have one question that I think it seems valid: If I enter a motorcycle, how can it be fair, competing with mostly cars?
I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about this :)

Oh, and apart from that, I agree with everything else. I think this year will be even better than last year's AFMOTY :)

Best Regards,
Pedro.

SupaMan89T
11-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Uh i have a qustion i didnt get answered or i did and didnt understand the answer if the model is already in progress can we still enter it.If so the toyota powered BMW is goin it! :)

white97ex
11-03-2004, 10:01 AM
i've got the same question as ozstrider. i dont feel that one single picture is able to capture the detail and work put into a model.

Spitfire7
11-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Hope i can enter my LM contest entry in thisthis contest too when i've finished it.

ImolaEK
11-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Awesome, i am defenitely entering this just for fun! I can almost guess who the winners will be, judging from the awesome models they have built this year. :iceslolan

mike@af
11-03-2004, 11:44 AM
I've read the rules a couple of times, and yes, I saw the People's choice part. But I have one question that I think it seems valid: If I enter a motorcycle, how can it be fair, competing with mostly cars?

Oh, and apart from that, I agree with everything else. I think this year will be even better than last year's AFMOTY :)

Best Regards,
Pedro.

Its not neccesarily the best looking model, but the best built model.

RallyRaider
11-03-2004, 03:59 PM

Best Regards,
Pedro.

Hey Pedro. Since this thing is people's choice and there will be many different types of model entered then it can never be 100% fair. In fact if you enter a motorcycle then you may get an advantage since anybody who favours bikes might tend to vote your way. It commonly happens with dioramas I've noticed. At any rate this is not deadly serious stuff but simply a bit of fun.

Judging by past results the winner will be a dark coloured car, because that shows off the shine better. Also make sure your photography skills are up to scratch because thee internet comps are as much a photography contest as anything.

Another question PMan: are you going to set a max resolution of the comp photos? 640x480 was it last year?

Bas Carwash
11-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Its not neccesarily the best looking model, but the best built model.

Yes you're right about that, but I still think you'll have less chance to win when you participate with a motorcycle. As you might understand I'm thinking of the same as Pedro :D Maybe the contest can be split up, or only open to cars...??? :rolleyes:

primera man
11-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Just to answer a couple of questions........

You can enter a bike if you wish.

Photos to be 640X480...(no bigger)

You can do a collage in a single photo. You have to remember if we allow more then 1-2 pics of each model it will take forever to open up for those people on dial-up.

I like the idea of the winner having the title added for a custom title.

I'll think about the link to the build.... :sunglasse

pettercardoso
11-03-2004, 05:52 PM
In fact if you enter a motorcycle then you may get an advantage since anybody who favours bikes might tend to vote your way.
Thank you, Phil. I guess I never tought of that point of view :)

Bas...I guess we can compete against each other :D

mike@af
11-03-2004, 05:59 PM
I'll think about the link to the build.... :sunglasse

I for one agree that a link would be good. Thus we, the contestant, can show more pictures without killing 56k'ers in one thread. Plus you get to see the true craftsmanship. :smile:

primera man
11-03-2004, 06:01 PM
I for one agree that a link would be good. Thus we, the contestant, can show more pictures without killing 56k'ers in one thread. Plus you get to see the true craftsmanship. :smile:

you are just trying to make more work for me!!!

willimo
11-03-2004, 06:19 PM
I don't think that the link to the progress thread is that necessary. I think most modellers here can tell build quality. I think it would be more important to not invite the whole of the AF community here to vote. Not that I don't like them, but it seemed like it allowed some even unfinished models earn an inflated score last year.

nis.k.a.
11-03-2004, 07:02 PM
I kind of like the idea of the "link to progress".

I agree the Will that most modelers can tell build quality but IMO that doesn't showcase the true build. I appreciate the end result but also the sweat, sleepless hours and dedication.

white97ex
11-03-2004, 07:33 PM
i agree with the link to the progress. it allows for a better idea of the work that went into the build, how the kit was modified and where the end result came from. there are a couple of downsides. it allows voters and mods to see who's model it is, that could allow some favoratism. but i believe as a whole, it would allow for a better contest, making it less of a show and shine competition, and more of a well rounded build competition! cause i was worried, i had big plans for my entry but if i was only allowed one picture, then that would have taken away from the details of the build.

EDIT: if you dont want to allow a progress thread, you might want to think about letting contestants enter the two required photographs, and then a link to a photo album, or a thread containing more detailed pictures of the build. possibly a locked thread? the feedback left within the thread could sway people's votes, making it more of a popularity contest,

StephenDeli
11-03-2004, 07:55 PM
I like the link to a progress idea because it gives the voter a sense of the build. No one can see all the detail put into a model with just one picture.

CamaroSSBoy346
11-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I don't think that the link to the progress thread is that necessary. I think most modellers here can tell build quality. I think it would be more important to not invite the whole of the AF community here to vote. Not that I don't like them, but it seemed like it allowed some even unfinished models earn an inflated score last year.

:iagree:

I dont know about anyone else, but I use CarDomain to host most of my pics. After time, my CarDomain site becomes painfully slow (I have DIALUP!), so I have to delete some of my pics, leaving a bunch of red X's on my old threads.

Maybe make it optional.

Hawk312
11-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Excellent idea! I also think that the previous winners should be given this title for their respective years! If they choose to have it, of course.

I think it would be an honor. This was one of the most difficult contests I have entered because anyone of the entries could have been a first place finish.
I am soooo looking forward to seeing this year`s entries!

CamaroSSBoy346
11-03-2004, 08:32 PM
yep. Expecting some STIFF compitition this year..

JTRACING
11-03-2004, 08:49 PM
I dont think a link is nessecary, not everybody takes in progress pictrures.

nismo man
11-03-2004, 08:59 PM
It's on yeah :grinyes: The progress link is a good idea but not needed.

white97ex
11-03-2004, 09:15 PM
not necessarily a progress thread, but maybe a completed thread, with more pictures of the detail work put into the kit. undercarriage, interior, engine and exterior

SupaMan89T
11-03-2004, 09:20 PM
I have no thought in my mind i will get close to winning with all the awsome models that will be entered but im going to enter for fun! :)

white97ex
11-03-2004, 09:57 PM
i have a feeling you might end up with more than 50 models...lol

SupaMan89T
11-03-2004, 11:06 PM
i have a feeling you might end up with more than 50 models...lol
no doubt im gonna have 2 enter right after i finish paint lol

willimo
11-03-2004, 11:28 PM
no doubt im gonna have 2 enter right after i finish paint lol

*Only ONE model per person.

Whoops.

ales
11-04-2004, 12:27 AM
This is what you get for using digits instead of prepositions. He meant "to enter"...

RallyRaider
11-04-2004, 01:58 AM
Yeah Willimo I have no idea what SupaMan89T says 90% of the time either! :)

Bas Carwash
11-04-2004, 02:24 AM
Thank you, Phil. I guess I never tought of that point of view :)

Bas...I guess we can compete against each other :D

Well Pedro, that's set then :D Your R1 against mine :D Not to win the contest, but just for fun :D So are then any more motorcycle guys with us?

I like the progress idea. At least a finished thread would be needed. Just one pic doesn't tell me a lot about a car or bike. I say post that links!

SupaMan89T
11-04-2004, 02:46 AM
Ahhh bugger sorry willmo i forgot my typing. I did mean i will have to enter my car fresh out of the paint box. :)

primera man
11-04-2004, 06:08 AM
Looks like links well be the go then.

Keep the feedback coming.

mike@af
11-04-2004, 06:59 AM
Looks like links well be the go then.

Keep the feedback coming.

W00T Go Warren!

IImportSupra
11-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Im entering, for fun i guess. Lets just say its a supra (hint hint Sig :naughty: )

SupaMan89T
11-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Im entering, for fun i guess. Lets just say its a supra (hint hint Sig :naughty: )
AHHHH I loose :grinyes:

mike@af
11-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Warren, can we still disqualify Steve? or, go ahead an qualify my hot rod for 2005AFMOTY? :evillol:

mstngcobrasvt98
11-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, its that time again. I cant believe it. I can't wait to see what some of you have been hiding or building. As for me, I'll try my best again, too bad my S2K isn't done yet. Good luck to everyone.

tonioseven
11-04-2004, 05:18 PM
I'll donate something as usual:)

11-04-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm sort of busting my rear to finish something by NNL West, January 31, but now I have to move even faster.

Bloodhound
11-05-2004, 05:19 AM
I wonder which model to enter? I've only built one this year I think, but I have a few on the way...

1986Z28
11-05-2004, 11:16 PM
id love to enter my vette in this but i dont think im going to be good enough to compete with you guys and chances are it wont even be finished by then

Samurai75007
11-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Aww crud I wont have enough time, no airbrush... arrr anyway actually not finishing one model since I joined this site I will be saving up for an air brush and a pump... Woot although I plan on some umm shale we call it full carbon cars? I will post more when I get all my stuff... umm think Enzo, Carrera GT, Murciélago, and Gallardo

Bloodhound
11-06-2004, 11:34 PM
blownalcoholboy, don't worry, I entered my mustang last year and it received a fair amount of votes even though it was only slightly detailed and basically all it had going for it was some nice paint. All I can say is it doesn't have to be a huge project to take votes, just something simple.

tazdev
11-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Would my R32 1:12TH scale fit into this judging criteria as it was finished this year?????

Honoturtle
11-07-2004, 03:11 AM
I'll hopefully get something turned in.

primera man
11-07-2004, 05:20 AM
Taz...yes.

Remember...it dont matter how good or bad your model is you want to enter....its about being part of the contest!!

Zturbo
11-09-2004, 04:36 AM
"progress thread" allowed or not?

Murco
11-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Remember...it dont matter how good or bad your model is you want to enter....its about being part of the contest!!
P-man is right on the money! Participation is the key to making better models. My models made major improvements once I started competing and getting feedback from the judges. If you don't win, ask for pointers. Most contests, live or online, are judged by builders with a lot of experience and that knowledge is there for the asking. Competition isn't my main reason for building, I do it as a creative outlet and it allows me to challenge myself. Competition, to me, is simply a means of getting more knowledge and inspiration while getting the occassional complement from others in the hobby who admire my work.
If you want to get serious about competing here are a few pointers given to me by master builders over the years who have tons of trophy hardware on their shelves.
1- Colors - Red, Blue, Yellow, or Black are the best colors on a table
2- Subject - Build what you love, it will be better if you're passionate about the car.
3- Play to the crowd - Who's judging the contest? Are they older guys who prefer '32 Fords, or kids who like Hondas? Know your audience!
4- Cleanliness is key - It doesn't matter how much time, sweat, or money goes into a car if the end result is sloppy. Clean paint lines, crisp details, and NO DUST make a huge difference.
5- Presence - This is big! The car just has to look "right" at first glance. If the car is either too high or low, or wheels are cocked, or 3-wheeling, or anything wrong strikes you immediately, you lose....
6- You cannot buy trophies - The point being, if you spend $200.00 on detail parts for a car those details will absolutely kill you if the execution is wrong, sloppy, or out-of-scale.
7- Be willing to fail - This is as true in modeling as it is in life. My first models built after returning to the hobby were good, but not contest quality. I didn't even place in my first 6 contests, but I did learn!
8- Have fun - Don't ever let the pressure of competition ruin your hobby. It happens to far too many good builders and I am just coming back after a 2 year break. Not from competition, but building professionally killed my interest off. I'll never sell a model again!
9- Do not get bummed - At the GSL in 2001 a modeler came out of nowhere with a fantastic scratchbuilt Duesenberg and swept the show! This pissed-off a lot of "big-name" builders as he had dramatically raised the bar for competition. The whining was amazing and many said they were done with competing. They forgot lesson 8, but they'll be back!
10- Be willing to accept criticism - Don't get pissed if someone says something negative about your build, it's a learning tool. Sometimes the delivery may be rough (artists aren't always socially polished) but if they have good advice, take it! If they are just hatin', they are jealous and not worth listening to!
I'll put my soapbox away now... :iceslolan

Layla's Keeper
11-19-2004, 09:27 PM
I remember that Duesenburg. Guy learned a lot of his techniques from model car god Gerald Wingrove.

Hell, I might toss a few of mine into the competition just for ghits and shiggles. Always a fun time.

snk33y
11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Holy crap! is it that time of year again? doesnt seem that long ago, where has the year gone, im sure that its going to be another cracking comp! better get off my butt and build something.

RyanGiorgio
11-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Wow, seemed just like yesterday. Just stopping in to say hi to all, and that I'm really impressed with the work I'm seeing in this forum nowadays. Peace.

~Ryan

Add your comment to this topic!