Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

is a 510 a safe car

3.1zxt
11-02-2004, 05:37 PM
They are pretty small and look like they could get crushed. if they are unsafe what could I do to make it safer like a roll cage but I dont want to make it heaver. Is 4 door safer than 2 door thanks.

Toyrolla
11-11-2004, 09:21 AM
The sheetmetal from the 68-73 510 is not like the lighter sheet metal of today's cars. A rollcage is more protection, but I think it depends on what you are using the car for (daily driving, drag, autocross, etc...). What are you using the car for?

dimefury
09-29-2005, 06:47 PM
the stock steel on these cars is strong
my first 510 was my daily driver until an 82 year old lady ran a red light and plowed into the passenger side of my little 2 door. The damage was mostly in the rear quarterpanel, totaling the unibody, but the passenger compartment inside was still in good shape. i was fine except for some back pain caused by having just lap belts. her insurance paid triple what i paid for the car and i was able to keep it and strip it of all re-usable parts. the cars engine (and other parts) were transplanted into another unibody that i still own today.

72 dime
L20b
dual DHLA 40's

Xander_42
10-13-2005, 11:43 PM
I think that the 510 is a very safe car, assuming its not too rusted out, and that your seats and seatbelts are mounted well. since the 510 is a small nimble car that (with a little help) can brake very quickly it can help get you out of sticky situasions, just remember that that big whatever can't stop as fast as you, so make sure that they leave you plenty of follong distance, yeah, like that's gonna happen. Other than that avoid wrecks involving SUVs as they will take your head off.

carbuzzard
10-29-2005, 08:28 AM
What do you mean by "safe"? There's no way a 510 will provide the same amount of crash protection (if that's what you mean) as a 2006 car. Forget for the moment that we're talking about a machine with 30-plus years of metal fatigue, etc., the science of crash protection then is nowhere where it is today and, with all due respect, it wasn't the priority then as it is today. Today's cars have crush zones, side impact protection, etc., etc., beyond what was thought possible back then.

Don't get me wrong. I'm an original owner of a '72 510 two-door, BRE Mulholland suspension (2.5-inch lower), Bob Sharp spook and flared fiberglass fenders, etc, long since gone to iron oxide (did I mention that the steel just looooved to combine with O2?). A great car, tons o' fun, but when the '75 Civic tail ended me, his 5 mph bumper sunk into the trunk all the way to the rear wheel arches. True, the "frame" wasn't bent, but I'm sure glad he didn't hit me from the side!

paulsfab
11-01-2005, 01:24 PM
They are pretty small and look like they could get crushed. if they are unsafe what could I do to make it safer like a roll cage but I dont want to make it heaver. Is 4 door safer than 2 door thanks. Hello there, 510 is a decent build car, but you can add a lot if you put a roll cage into it...if your concerned about weight dont be, you wont feel the difference in that way...a properly built roll cage will add stiffness to the body so the car will handle better in performance appilcations, and also add a great deal of safety in a crash...it should be built out of D.O.M. tubing and I recommend .120 wall and it should only weigh in about 100 lbs or less, I hope you will feel like this has helped see you later...Paul

Toyrolla
11-28-2005, 10:30 AM
What do you mean by "safe"? There's no way a 510 will provide the same amount of crash protection (if that's what you mean) as a 2006 car. Forget for the moment that we're talking about a machine with 30-plus years of metal fatigue, etc., the science of crash protection then is nowhere where it is today and, with all due respect, it wasn't the priority then as it is today. Today's cars have crush zones, side impact protection, etc., etc., beyond what was thought possible back then.

Don't get me wrong. I'm an original owner of a '72 510 two-door, BRE Mulholland suspension (2.5-inch lower), Bob Sharp spook and flared fiberglass fenders, etc, long since gone to iron oxide (did I mention that the steel just looooved to combine with O2?). A great car, tons o' fun, but when the '75 Civic tail ended me, his 5 mph bumper sunk into the trunk all the way to the rear wheel arches. True, the "frame" wasn't bent, but I'm sure glad he didn't hit me from the side!

While riding shotgun in my friend's 510, he was #3 in a 5 car collision on the highway in his '71 510...

Someone in front of him had a car with no working taillights and they slammed on their brakes. He slammed on his and luckily just tapped the car in front of him....

...then the person behind us slammed into us and sent the car spinning around into the left lane, allowing a minivan to slam into my side of the car, then another car slammed into the nose as we stopped spinning...

End result:

A truly f***ed up '71 510....

He was able to get out on his side.
I had to get out of my side through the window like the "Dukes Of Hazzard"...

.....but we were both Ok.....not a scratch.... :thumbsup:

Amazingly....no frame damage....

He won his insurance suit, got a check, and fixed the car....

3-4 years later.....the car was back on the road....

odogg
11-29-2005, 07:06 PM
shit man the cars safe i mean now adays cars are built flimsy as shit a little bump and the fuckin bumber is totaled i used to have a 71 datsun 2 door with a 4 speed that muthafucka was fast and light not to mention rear wheel drive!! fuck hondas and new shit like that trick that baby out!! with a 2.0 liter 240 sx engine and watch out!!

Add your comment to this topic!