Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel pump troubleshooting questions

oxymoron
11-02-2004, 12:17 PM
I have an 88 Ram PU and suspect the fuel pump has died. I have read through many entries in the forum and gotten some good ideas. I replaced the fuel filter and while I had it off, I cranked over the engine to see if the pump would spew out any gas. No gas. I read in the forum that someone was looking for a fuse to the fuel pump. Is there a fuse? Sure would like to check that before pulling the fuel pump. Is there any way to do an electrical check of the fuel pump without pulling it out? Has anyone really tried removing the bed instead of dropping the fuel tank?

rwood13
11-02-2004, 01:25 PM
fuse on the front drivers is in a fuse box under the hood, get a wiring diagram, pull the electrical conector closest to the tank, apply 12v to the pump, works or not, alternate method, have an assistant cycle the key on for a count of ten then back of then back on, when the key first is on the pup should run for a few seconds, put your ear to the tank while assistant is working the key, would think it would be easier to lower the tank than raise the bed

fredjacksonsan
11-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Your p/u is throttle body injected, right? (If carb, fuel pump is mechanical and on the block)

Rwood is 100% on listening for the fuel pump.

Dropping tank definitely easier, usually 2 bands go around the tank, air ratchet works great but you've got to remove the filler first.

oxymoron
11-05-2004, 06:14 PM
First let me thank rwood13 and fredjacksonsan, then let me nominate myself for the dumbass award. I took the filler tube off so I could get by the antisyphon ball and syphon off the 3/4 tank of gas. I pumped and pumped on the syphon and nothing. Pulling the end out of the tank I noticed it was dry. Yes, you guessed it....out of gas. Apparently 3/4 now equals empty on my gas gauge. So learn from my stupidity (KISS)...check the obvious first. It's the first time I ever got 28 gallons in this tank.
:loser:

fredjacksonsan
11-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I bet the factory says it's a 26 gal tank, right? So rather than the expensive fuel delivery problem, we have a sending unit problem. Glad it was that easy (If slightly embarrassing) for you.....

Add your comment to this topic!