Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

modding a 91 740 turbo

eclipseracer92
11-02-2004, 10:56 AM
is it easily possible to mod a 91 740 turbo. I have a boost controller laying around i was wondering if it would work and what i could turn the boost up to safley i do also have a autometer boost gauge to properly measure boost levels. please help

NRVate
01-18-2005, 03:38 PM
is it easily possible to mod a 91 740 turbo. I have a boost controller laying around i was wondering if it would work and what i could turn the boost up to safley i do also have a autometer boost gauge to properly measure boost levels. please help

Yes, you can use your boost controller on the 740. Your 740 has TD04 (probably a -12 or -13, little td04 that is..) with a standard non-adjustable wastegate. you'll have to use a boost controller to adjust the pressure.

your stock fuel system can handle only a few more PSI. once you get past 10 or 11 psi, your going to be reaching the point of needing some more fuel. your best option is a rising rate FPR unless you want to go custom injection.

aside from turning up the pressure.. opening up the intake and exhaust do help on these cars.

the stock cam is also junk, you can upgrade to one of a number of volvo cams that are used in european and canadian vehicles, or go with iPD's aftermarket "turbo performance" cam like I did... the iPD cam is great. gives you alot of top end without hurting your bottom end torque much, and its perfectly streetable even with an auto tranny.

if your going to jack the boost up... i'd set it to 10psi with a reliable boost controller, install a boost gauge, and a AF ratio meter to watch the O2 sensor. listen for pinging, run high octane fuel, and give it extra time to cool down especially in the summer. i cooked a turbo after last summer, from it not cooling down enough.. whole center section was caked with coked oil.

otherwise.. check www.turbobricks.com -- great site.

Add your comment to this topic!