Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Excursion

mom30075
11-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Considering purchasing a 2000 Excursion. Any feedback would be appreciated. Any known problems w/ the 2000 model? Anything to specifically look for? THANKS

dougger222
11-05-2004, 07:22 PM
There are so many variables to that question!

What motor option you looking at? The V8 is under powered, the V10 is a good strong running motor that drinks a lot of fuel, the V8 Powerstroke is a proven motor that will get you 350K+ miles. The fuel mileage will be best with the diesel too. The only problem is finding a good used 2000 diesel X, one in ten were diesels.

Are you looking at 4X4 or 4X2? The 4X4's are prone to ball joint and hub assembly failure. If I were you I'd lift up the wheels on the ones your looking to buy and check for wheel play. If there's wheel play hopfully the dealership will pay for repairs.

The Limited is a nice trim package as is the XLT which both will hold up for many years of use.

leowolf
03-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Go Diesel! you can find em on ebay 4x4, quite a list. paid $22,000 for mine with 88000 miles.

2000Excursion7.3TD
10-31-2005, 12:30 PM
By my user name you can see I own a 2000 Excurison 7.3 Turbo Diesel...My suggestion is buy a Chevrolet. I have had to replace 3 locking hubs for the four wheel drive every winter (needless to say you have to get out in the -30 degrees to lock them. At least in a Chevrolet your inside roasty toasty warm and just have to hit a button. I have had over $3,000 worth of front end work done, ball joints (you cant grease Fords externally, you have to replace them). Also have had numerous electrical problems. I have been through 2 Cam Position Sensors. Flashing lights on and off an a lot of stalling problems (which is great when your doing 65 on the highway and have no steering or brakes). My light switch knob broke off, I now use a pliars to turn them on. It's $200.00 for the whole assembly, they don't sell the knob separately. (There is a recall for that but Ford tells me not at the factory where mine was built). Tires were recalled (I had replaced the bubbeling babies before the recall and Ford would not re-imburse me. I have 159,000 miles on my truck it has always been maintained by the dealer and is always coming up with something new going wrong. My boyfriend owns a chevrolet with about the same miles, and is same year. He has replaced tires that's all. Mom beware, you have to have deep pockets to maintain this rig.

dougger222
11-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Sounds like you picked up a lemon 00 PSD Excursion. What Chevy suv compares to an Excursion? A 6.5 TD Berb? The X has it's orginal hubs (Minnesota). As a matter of fact the 205K mile Ford has had the hubs replaced at 150K miles which was the first time work was done to the truck prior to brakes. The truck at 185K miles had a shorted wire which after the CPS and three other relays, sensors replaced cost me $600. With the rebuilt turbo at 55K miles I'm happy to say the work truck has only needed $700 into the motor and tows up to 20K lbs. and plows snow with 205,000 miles.

My wifes 00 X has 150K miles and had the head light knob break, $70 from Ford for the whole assembly, bought one off Ebay for $20 shipped, perfect fit. The only other problem with her truck was a alternator this summer and two CPS, $95, second one was covered by the International warranty program.

JackBauer
11-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Got ten kids? Otherwise why would you want and need something that big and sucks up gas. Get an Expedition that will do you just fine. Excursions were made for big families and limo companies. It sucks gas, has a terrible turning radius and not very luxurious inside.

dougger222
11-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Got ten kids? Otherwise why would you want and need something that big and sucks up gas. Get an Expedition that will do you just fine. Excursions were made for big families and limo companies. It sucks gas, has a terrible turning radius and not very luxurious inside.

Obviously by your post you know nothing about Ford Excursions. If you had 10 kids an Excursion would be too small a Ford E350 with the Powerstroke would be best.

Gas mileage? Do you mean 20 mpg diesel fuel mileage with a Ford Excursion? Find another SUV that gets that kind of mileage that can two up to 12K lbs and haul up to 9 people? None out there sorry kid!

My wife daily drives the Excursion, we have no kids just two labs. When I parked her 10-12 mpg Bronco and finally found a reasonable priced diesel Excursion I jumped on the chance to pick one up. At 97K miles a 5.8 motor had been replaced in the Bronco, I wanted a vehicle that I could run as long as I wanted without ever thinking about a motor replacement. Owning a F250 and Excursion my first impression was how much smaller the Excursion seemed than the F250 while driving it. To date the X has 151K miles with it's original tranny and the motor has had a CPS ($95) and glow plugs ($65).

Turning radius? Not sure why or how but the Excursion turns much much tighter than the F250. I've had factory wheels on both and 33's and it don't matter which combination is on either vehicle the X always turns tighter.

Call me crazy but my third (work) vehicle will either be a 1 ton dually Powerstroke Ford (99+) or a 99+ E350 Powerstroke for work.

An Expedition? Gas guzzler 4.6 or 5.4 independent front and now independent rear axle, not my forte.

Excursion may have been made for larger families but limo companies? When was the last time you saw a factory sized Excursion used by a limo company?

Not luxurious inside? My wifes Excursion has three rows of leather, heated front seats, auto dim mirror, heated mirrors, 7 disc cd changer, a pretty nice factory sound system. The only thing it could have is GPS and separate climate control which the newer X's have.

JackBauer
12-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Good Point hadn't heard about the Diesel Model. Still why on earth does your wife need anything that big? I mean dude, it's enormous. Also can she even handle the thing? I mean most women I see driving these things can't, they back into things, all because their husbands don't want to be seen driving minivans. 99% of them it's to much truck anything bigger than an Explorer. I have a big greyhound and haul servers and a Denali is more then enough for that.

dougger222
12-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Good Point hadn't heard about the Diesel Model. Still why on earth does your wife need anything that big? I mean dude, it's enormous. Also can she even handle the thing? I mean most women I see driving these things can't, they back into things, all because their husbands don't want to be seen driving minivans. 99% of them it's to much truck anything bigger than an Explorer. I have a big greyhound and haul servers and a Denali is more then enough for that.

The diesel Ford E350 vans are out there but very hard to find used.
My wife loves the Excursion, she went from a 95 Bronco 5.8 V8 to the Excursion and never drives the Bronco anymore. Compared to the F250 I drive the Excursion has the exact same frame under it. For some reason driving the Excursion it seems so much smaller than the F250, this could be due to the fact that it's much more refined than the pick up. The turning radius on the Excursion is better than the pick up and it's much more quiet. We've owned the Excursion of two years now and we would never be without one. There is no other suv on the planet than compares to the Excursion. I think the Excursion is more like a CUV for commercial utility vehicle since it's more truck like than any other suv on the market.
I spent three months finding the Excursion we bought, I could have found any other suv in a day. Thinking about putting the triple pillar guage mod and a snow plow mount on the Excursion with a set of rear air bags, then it will be no different then the truck minus the box of course.

BTW, I do use the Excursion for fishing trips towing 5K pounds and use it for work a few times a month.

markmaura
12-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Considering purchasing a 2000 Excursion. Any feedback would be appreciated. Any known problems w/ the 2000 model? Anything to specifically look for? THANKS

i have a 2000 excursion diesel. i have 5 children so i have always had a larger vehicle. i do like it, i like the fuel milage 13 around town and i actually got 22 on the highway keeping it at 55. if you need a larger vichle i guess i would recomend it. but if you don't need something this big i presonnaly would buy a toyota. i have a 96 camry with 128000miles on it and stuck less money in that ( like struts and spark plugs and that is it) than the excursion. good luck mark

dougger222
01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Mark, you have to remember if your Excursion is 4 wheel drive it weighs without people or gear close to 8,000 lbs. This is no passenger car!!! Bigger things mean bigger bills and more wear and tear.

For repairs you have to realize an Excursion is more like a F350 than a F150 when it comes to brakes, pads, rotors, rotors, axles, springs, etc. the parts will cost you a lot more than a half ton vehicle.

Add your comment to this topic!