Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

subs cutting out help me

whoisdabomb86
11-01-2004, 10:55 PM
ok now i dont know anything about amps or subwoofers cuz i put money into engines so i bought a car and it had all the wiring so i said what the hell spent 200$ at wal mart and got their sony subs 10's with the 500w sony amp i got a free sealed box so thats cool i wired it up it seems right but then again first time. i wired it one sub on each side of amp so it was like 125 rms it sounded like shit so i said fuck it wired it mono and they hit really hard now but the amp shows red if its going too hard, its not hot just shows red and shuts off, and when i turn them on they dont thump to turn on they just take like 4 seconds and then turn on which they have been doing since i got amp..any ideas could it be lacking power cuz of the power wire size i think its 2 gauge, does the power wire work like fuel and when its not thick enough it gets choked??? any ideas, i know ppl have heard of this mostly ppl that dont know what the fuck their talking about.... hellpp

TFFantasy44
11-02-2004, 11:04 PM
How do you have the subs wired? I bet if you are bridging them, the impedence is too low. And 2 guage is way more than enough (and it wouldn't "choke," it'd burn up and melt and probably cause a fire). Also, set your gain right, I'm guessing thats jacked all the way up too.

whoisdabomb86
11-02-2004, 11:29 PM
i actually looked at it closely its 8 gauge wire im rewiring it to 2 guage and changing my remote wire, yes its jacked all the way up like the dials and all the way to right so i should i turn it down?? im gonna change the fuses to higher amps, change my battery wire to 2 guage..i just did my ground to 2 and it doesnt cut out as much but still does a bit, the requires me to turn off deck and restart... also i have a kenwood tape player so im gonna get a good deck thatll probly help too. any other ideas???

sr20de4evr
11-03-2004, 12:43 AM
do not change the fuses in the amp

your amp is probably cutting out because your impedance is too low, either that or it's going into thermal protection because of your ridiculously high gain setting, go turn that down immediately. Why do people always crank the gain all the way up? It never says to do that in any instruction manual ever created....ever, but if it makes it louder it must be the right way to set it, right? :disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!