Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Bonnville SSEi Radio/Oil/Headlights/SC Upgrade

silverws6ta
11-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Hello everyone - new to being a Bonneville owner and have a few questions.

I just acquired my mom's old car (She bought an '05 Cadillac STS V8 w/ 1SG Luxury Perf. package - WHAT a car) and its nice to not have to shift gears for a change and I really have always liked this car since she bought it. It now has 60k miles on it.

The car is in great condition, oil changed every 3K miles, serviced at a reputable GM dealer. Its had some minor issues, 1 plug wire out of resistance, tie rod ends had to be replaced and right now the Magnasteer is lurching and jerking. Pontiac has agreed to cover the part if we pay to have it replaced. I put a new S/C tensioner pulley and belt on it last weekend thanks to the bearings in the plastic pulley going bad and melting the pulley. I think that GM has changed this design on newer models since the Carquest pulley I purchased to replace it was steel -- GM wanted $180 locally for the entire tensioner assembly.

My questions are
1) Part of the radio display backlighting is not working. I can see everything that is being shown but it has about 1/3 that is not illuminated. Is this just a bulb? How do I get the dash apart on this thing! I took part of the console apart to clean in there and it looks like everything connected to each other
2) I am a firm believer in Mobil 1, that is all I have ran in my WS6 since day 1 and still change at 3000 miles. Would it be ok to convert this car over since its been on DINO oil since bought new?
3) I want an HID look does anybody have any reccomendations on bulbs? Maybe Nokya 9006 and 9005's? Any other suggestions so I don't fry the wiring etc?
4) Does anybody rec'd a particular size pulley to put on the SC? I was thinking about a 3.25in for about 11lbs boost. Also does anybody make a cold air intake for these cars to get rid of that enlarged muffled factory airbox?

Thanks for everybodys input. If anybody has any other questions comments please let me know or if there any anything questions I can answer

billrenn
03-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi silverws6ta,

Just discovered & joined this forum.

My 2000 SSEi just blew part of its radio display like yours... the right half (equalizer) is barely visible. I was driving when it blew, and the shifter bulb went at the same time.

This was within a week after I'd had the starter lock cylinder replaced because of a theft system lockout problem I was having. The dealer said that the radio/CD unit is a one-piece deal, w/no bulbs to replace. In other words, to get the display to light up, you have to buy a new radio (~350).

Hopefully you've resolved your other questions by now.

-Bill

Hello everyone - new to being a Bonneville owner and have a few questions.

I just acquired my mom's old car (She bought an '05 Cadillac STS V8 w/ 1SG Luxury Perf. package - WHAT a car) and its nice to not have to shift gears for a change and I really have always liked this car since she bought it. It now has 60k miles on it.

The car is in great condition, oil changed every 3K miles, serviced at a reputable GM dealer. Its had some minor issues, 1 plug wire out of resistance, tie rod ends had to be replaced and right now the Magnasteer is lurching and jerking. Pontiac has agreed to cover the part if we pay to have it replaced. I put a new S/C tensioner pulley and belt on it last weekend thanks to the bearings in the plastic pulley going bad and melting the pulley. I think that GM has changed this design on newer models since the Carquest pulley I purchased to replace it was steel -- GM wanted $180 locally for the entire tensioner assembly.

My questions are
1) Part of the radio display backlighting is not working. I can see everything that is being shown but it has about 1/3 that is not illuminated. Is this just a bulb? How do I get the dash apart on this thing! I took part of the console apart to clean in there and it looks like everything connected to each other
2) I am a firm believer in Mobil 1, that is all I have ran in my WS6 since day 1 and still change at 3000 miles. Would it be ok to convert this car over since its been on DINO oil since bought new?
3) I want an HID look does anybody have any reccomendations on bulbs? Maybe Nokya 9006 and 9005's? Any other suggestions so I don't fry the wiring etc?
4) Does anybody rec'd a particular size pulley to put on the SC? I was thinking about a 3.25in for about 11lbs boost. Also does anybody make a cold air intake for these cars to get rid of that enlarged muffled factory airbox?

Thanks for everybodys input. If anybody has any other questions comments please let me know or if there any anything questions I can answer

silverws6ta
03-09-2005, 06:47 PM
I found a company that was selling the identical radios brand new off of eBay and bought two of them a couple of months ago - i wasn't positive it would work since the P/N numbers were different so I just moved the entire face from the radio I bought to mine. Worked like a charm -- all the lights are working now. I still have one of them brand new in the box I haven't used but haven't decided if I want to part with it yet. I paid $50/ea for them because I didn't know if I would ever run across another offer like that. Only difference was the AM/FM button says 'BAND' now.. I think since the radio was an 2002+ radio.

Hi silverws6ta,

Just discovered & joined this forum.

My 2000 SSEi just blew part of its radio display like yours... the right half (equalizer) is barely visible. I was driving when it blew, and the shifter bulb went at the same time.

This was within a week after I'd had the starter lock cylinder replaced because of a theft system lockout problem I was having. The dealer said that the radio/CD unit is a one-piece deal, w/no bulbs to replace. In other words, to get the display to light up, you have to buy a new radio (~350).

Hopefully you've resolved your other questions by now.

-Bill

BIG-L
03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Does anybody rec'd a particular size pulley to put on the SC? I was thinking about a 3.25in for about 11lbs boost. Also does anybody make a cold air intake for these cars to get rid of that enlarged muffled factory airbox?

That size of pulley (3.25) with out the correct supporting mods,can hurt the motor.You are best to stick with either a 3.5/3.4 pulley

For every person the SC pulley swap should be the first thing considered. It offers the largest HP/dollar value of any mod. You will need a special tool to do the install which can be bought or rented. Install time is about 1 hour. If this is the only mod you plan on doing then the 3.5” pulley should be used. It looks close to stock, the stock belt can still be used and most dealers won't notice this change. The 3.5” pulley swap will give you ~20 additional HP.
If you plan on doing other modifications as well then the 3.4” pulley is a better choice. It requires a smaller belt or an oversized tensioner pulley. The 3.4 will give ~25 additional HP. Supporting mods include colder Tstat, colder spark plugs, cold air intake, TB spacer and any form of exhaust modifications.

Available octane plays a part as well. If you live in a state with only 91 octane available you will need to do additional mods to run a 3.4” pulley without KR. You might want to consider the 3.5. If you live in Indiana or parts of the country with 94 or 95 octane available, it will be very easy to run the smaller pulley w/o KR. Keep in mind that a larger pulley with no KR will make more HP than a smaller with less timing (more KR).

~Larry~

BIG-L
03-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Also does anybody make a cold air intake for these cars to get rid of that enlarged muffled factory airbox?

Here you go.Just go to either Lowes or Home Deopt and make you own fenderwell intake.....here are a few links that should help you out.

Fenderwell Air Intake by Drew Blanchard
http://tacgp.clubgp.com/custom_mods...take/index.html

Fenderwell Intake by Big L
http://tacgp.clubgp.com/custom_mods...take/index.html

Fenderwell Intake by John Vegas
http://www.johnvegas.com/Fwi.htm

Fenderwell Intake by Ryan Martinez
http://home.centurytel.net/grandprix/fwi

Add your comment to this topic!