Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stock ex clutch questions...

sircivic
02-21-2002, 06:05 PM
my friend just bought a supercharged ex motor off line(ebay), with the stock tranny, but he has the dyno sheets for the motor at like 215hp...could he use the stock clutch, and if not, what is the horsepower rating on the stock clutches? thanks

jOYRiDe
02-21-2002, 09:00 PM
im guessing u can drive with the stock clutch but it also depends on your friends driving ability...does he thrash the car at every light? if yes, upgrade it before it goes pop

sircivic
02-21-2002, 10:33 PM
daily driver by day/ rice rocket by night...he's gonna romp on it...he's a good driver, but he's gonna take it out all the time to race it....he's a product of street racing- so, yes he's gonna beat it. but what clutch do you recomend? he has a JRSC with cam, cam gear, nology wires, injectors, fuel pump/regulator, light weight pullys, all those goodies...so, he's curious about the clutch, but he's too stubborn to ask for himself. i'm trying to save him some money....

Self
02-23-2002, 01:34 AM
I say use it until it goes. Killing a clutch isn't usually an "explosive" event, instead you'll just start to notice slippage, which, if uncorrected will get worse and worse until the clutch won't engage at all. I say drive it until you start to notice it slipping and then buy an upgrade. With that kind of power, it's not going to last long. But either way, have the money set-aside and ready for the new clutch. Also, I know of one good clutch that would work. http://www.turboclutch.com/retail-MAX.htm Check out there Street Disc clutch for the Civic. I had their solid hub turbo clutch for my Turbo Mx-6 a while back, absolutely loved it!

white97ex
02-23-2002, 09:10 AM
is the motor in the car yet? if not is he putting it in himself or will he be taking it to a shop. if he doesn't have the tools knowledge or facilities to replace the clutch his-self, and the motor is not already in the car, i would go ahead and replace it. it will keep him from getting stranded somewhere if the stock clutch does let go. plus it will save labor costs, it is NOT cheap to have a civic clutch replaced

sircivic
02-23-2002, 09:14 AM
him, myself, and about two more of the guys in my car club are going to do it in our shop at my house...we know how to do it, he just want to know which wat to go, but i guess since it's out, might as well put it in....

Add your comment to this topic!