Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Corvette people hating the 350z--Poor Generalization

navybluevette
10-31-2004, 01:47 AM
I saw a thread here from some time ago that went Corvette bashing because supposedly, Vette owners are hatin' on the Z. I mostly saw Z owners bashing the Vette... sad. Guys (and girls), I'm 28, Asian and I own a Vette. I bought it used about a year and a half ago--an '01 that had 24K miles on the clock and I was heavily considering a 350Z. I decided on the Vette cause the extra power was something that was cool to have right out of the box. Handling seems to be great with the Z's I've run against but for you Z owners who don't know, Vettes have several different suspension models that go from "I'm a grandma cruisin' and enjoying a Cadillac ride" to "I got a Z06 that'll out handle most sports cars" with everything in between. If you're hatin' on Vettes, go drive one with the Z51 suspension or a Z06. Its sick. And yes, you can have Z06 power in your Z if you add turbo or supercharge it but a naturally aspirated car producing 405 hp will be more reliable--its meant to have that power from the factory--that's hard to beat... And anyone can outmod anyone... My old '90 Integra will beat your Zs if I put enough money into it!

I've run with many Zs on the freeway here on the freeways of LA and since my car is stock, I can tell you that a stock Z will not beat a stock Vette 97-04 model from a stop up to 100 mph, from 80-140 mph and from 55-100 mph. These are my experiences. But most importantly, every time I do a little spirited driving, its always in good fun and I've never had folks hate like I've seen on the previous thread. I've actually said wassup to almost every person I've ever raced--even slowed down/stopped and talked to a few. And almost everyone one of the Zs I've raced has said wassup and appreciates being able to measure his Z against my car to see how well he can keep up. Thats a racer to racer bond... not lame a$$ hatin'.

Yes, there are lame individuals on the corvetteforum who'll hate on your Z but if you take a closer look, there's folks on that forum who own a Vette and a Z.

Looks? I like the front end of the Z better than my Vette but I like the back end of my Vette better than the Z with its tail lights coming around the side but THAT'S JUST MY OPINION!

Yeah, I wrote an essay but I hope that some of ya hataz can learn to appreciate sports cars in all their flavors. I mean, if you're going to hate on price, then you might want to compare an AWD Sti which arguably would have better handling and power for just about the same price. I've raced a few STis and they actually run even with my car...

Oh yeah, one last thing. Most of the "old men" you see driving Vettes are lookin' for a softer ride cause, well, they're old men! And, if you say "wassup" to them, they'll probably say wave "hi" back. A lot of 'em probably also know a lot about cars AND driving. They've come from the days when cars didn't have traction control and all the safety features that keep us planted--they had to be better drivers cause their cars didn't handle as well. Talk to them with respect like you do older folks and they might be able to teach you a thing or two.

k3smostwanted
10-31-2004, 02:26 AM
all the old men in my area with nice cars are stuck up. they act like they better than me because i am younger. i dont know about other young people but that is how it is here.

i dont really know why this is in this forum, but i understand what your saying. alot of car bashing goes on and sometimes it gets out of hand. for the most part you cannot compare a 350z to a vette. they are made for 2 different reasons. nissan designed the 350z to be a performance car but keep the price as low as possible to keep sales on the rise unlike the sales mistake they made with the z32TT. so they were playing it safe for the most part. and the vette, that is chevy's trademark car. they can put whatever price tag on it that they want and old men are gonna buy it because that is the car they always said "im going to have one of these days". both are very nice cars but serve 2 diffferent purposes. if nissan wanted to, they could make the car cost 50k+ and add a turbocharged system but thto it they didnt want to do that. the 350z was made to contend with the s2000 and the evo and sti, not the corvette. i think all in all, companies have learned not to expect huge sales with a vette rival because they usually dont win because of the past that the corvette has. just my opinion.

navybluevette
10-31-2004, 02:26 PM
I think that Chevy has yet to appeal to a younger fan base with its Corvette. They tried with the commercial where the young guy is driving the Vette but they're not sure how to get all the way there. I bought my car right around $30K with 24,000 miles. Yeah its not brand new but that's 350hp, 375 ft./lbs. torque right out of the box... (that's why you need the wide a$$ tires in back too)

otter7467
10-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Even when I had a vette I was treated weird at vette get togethers (granted I had a 79). Most of the Porsche owners I have meet have been alot nicer. The other Z owners I've meet have been the best. I'm not saying all but most of the vette owners I have meet have been older guys who just didn't seem to like younger guys in sport cars.

k3smostwanted
10-31-2004, 10:16 PM
yeah i get that same kind of reaction. old people with vettes have a tendency to be stuck up. and most of the young guys with vettes tend to be like lawyers or something so they are very arrogant also. poor vette, gets the lame owners.

350G
11-02-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm a car enthusiast . . . period. If I run with a big dawg and get beat, so be it. It was fun. However, I don't place the Z and vette in the same niche market. A better generalization (based on my experiences) is if you're a car enthusiast, we'll get along. If you're an arrogant @ss, then we won't :D

JCCR
11-03-2004, 06:34 PM
vets are ok! its just funny everytime i see a vett on the highway driving speed limit.

Add your comment to this topic!