Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Window Defroster/Stereo Ideas

stanger42
10-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Hello all,

I have two things for ya...

1994 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4
3.2l v6

1. The rear window defroster has not worked in my car for a long long time. The LED on the dash defrost button doesn't come on anymore either. I've checked every fuse and relay I can find. My Chilton's has a wiring diagram but I can't for the life of me figure out which wire goes where. Any ideas on where to start or what might fix this? I live in So Cal so it's not really an issue, more of an inconvenience.

2. This one is for anyone who has done any stereo work on their Rodeo/Passport/Pathfinder...I have recently installed an aftermarket stereo, amplifier, capacitor, and subwoofer. I was wondering where others may have mounted the equipment. Right now the amp is under the driver's seat and the sub is just in the trunk area. The amp and sub are pretty out of the way but if you have any "cleaner" install locations, I'm open to suggestions. Also, the capacitor is mounted to the center console, by the amp. I don't really like thatlocation and would like it to be more hidden. Any thoughts on where to hide that? I thought about putting the amp and cap under the rear bench but ventillation issues prevent that from happening.

Thanks for your time,

Nick

witherer
10-30-2004, 11:34 PM
I've got a '94 as well and have the same problem of trying to find a good location for speakers in the trunk area. I haven't done it, but if you wanted to get real creative you could enclose the trunk window area and hide speakers in there.

witherer

megavolt121
10-31-2004, 11:25 AM
On my 98, there's a covered panel on the right side of the car, one of those storage ones compartments. Many people have mounted amps inside there. Im planning on fiberglassing a box into the left panel for my sub and flush mount a amp on that.

Dober89
10-31-2004, 11:28 AM
only problem I could see is that annoying vibration because those panels in the back are real cheap and incorporating a sub into one would make it move a hell of alot.

megavolt121
10-31-2004, 04:19 PM
I will fiberglass into the back panel to make it strong, then built a box around the fiberglass. In no way would I actually use just the panel only, its WAY too flimsy and weak.

stanger42
10-31-2004, 07:25 PM
On my 98, there's a covered panel on the right side of the car, one of those storage ones compartments. Many people have mounted amps inside there. Im planning on fiberglassing a box into the left panel for my sub and flush mount a amp on that.

are you talking about the panel where the bottle jack is kept? if so there's no way an amp would fit in there...maybe the capacitor...

Dober89
10-31-2004, 08:17 PM
I dont know if the 1st gens were the same or not but my jack is in a compartment on the left, and on the right I have a big compartment for storage.

megavolt121
11-01-2004, 12:17 PM
are you talking about the panel where the bottle jack is kept? if so there's no way an amp would fit in there...maybe the capacitor...

My bottle jack is on the left, on the right is the storage/amp one.

stanger42
11-04-2004, 10:27 PM
well in that case I know I don't have a storage compartment. I only have the one for the bottle jack. and under the driver's seat for the amp will work.

Also, no one has helped me with my rear defroster issue....

megavolt121
11-04-2004, 11:28 PM
stanger
you said u've checked every fuse and relay you can find.. make sure u check all of them even if you dont think they are related. then pull out ur switch and check to see if the switch is still good using a multimeter.

stanger42
05-16-2009, 06:57 PM
After (literally) years of digging, I finally realized I was looking at the wrong relay. I believe the relay for the rear defroster is under the right side of the dash, by the passenger side kick panel? If so, it was definitely on fire at some point as the relay is melted to not only the connector but also the bracket that keeps it in place. So I get to pry out the old relay and replace with a new one. I also have to replace the connector and a possibly the wiring harness as well (I'm not sure the extent of the damage to the wires yet.)

My Chiltons is currently on the other side of the country, can anyone tell me if the rear defroster wiring is in any way related to the rear wiper wiring? I suspect these are unrelated but unless I pull the fuse, the washer pump goes and the wiper arm swings. This happened about 3 years ago now after Circuit City installed an aftermarket noise maker (car alarm... the guy installed the LED next to the switch for the rear wiper, after that the next time I went to use it, it started acting up). Could be the switch as it now feels like it has 4 positions instead of just 3.

Add your comment to this topic!