Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing the bed

Prempt
10-30-2004, 04:18 PM
I was trying to figure out today how to remove the bed on my truck. I am guessing it's the two pannels, the bottom of the bed and then the tailgate. I see some bolts that hold stuff together but it appears that the wheel wells in the bed are welded to the fender? Am I correct and if so how do I go about taking everything off the back of my truck. I am going to want to replace one of the fenders and the tailgate. It's a 1988 s-10 2d 2wd 2.5L

movin2stereo
10-30-2004, 06:29 PM
There are 6 (or 8) bolts underneath the bed that hold it to the frame.Your bedsides are welded on and they just don't come off unless you cut the spot welds.Don't forget to disconnect the gas filler and the ground wire and unplug the taillights.The tailgate comes off easy.Disconnect the tailgate cables(yours aren't cables I know)Pick a hinge and unbolt it.Off it comes.Hope this helps ya.

OverBoardProject
11-03-2004, 01:33 AM
With all that work and money going in your bed you might be better off adapting a newer rust free bed on your truck. I recently put a 98 Nissan box on a 85 Nissan pickup. It looks good, eliminated the rust problem. And with the newer box in I can lay plywood flat in the box.

Prempt
11-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Where can I find a list of beds from other trucks (Years and makes) that I can use?

OverBoardProject
11-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Oh... Sorry I should have said. I just toured all the auto wrecks until I found a box that looked close, then removed it and paid the 100 bux canadian for the box.

I found the box at a self serve auto wreck, and lucked out The truck was torched and everyone thought that the box was fried since it had melted tar all over it. The melted tar just pealed off on a hot day.

My welder modified the mounts to make it fit right for 20 bus canadian... plus a 6 pack. And then we were done.

Good luck with it

Prempt
11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
What years/models can I put on my '88 s-10 frame though? I can't seem to find an '88 around here to get parts off of so I need to know what I can get that'll bolt up to my frame w/o to much modification of stuff.

OverBoardProject
11-03-2004, 09:03 PM
The best bet is probably a late 90's chevy, or gm box...Even a toyota or nissan might be a close fit just check out the autowrecks in your area.

You can also place a box wanted in your city ad in this forum (some people might hate the idea) and you might get a response.

There are several clean boxes out there at an affordable price, you just have to look for them.

Prempt
11-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Upon inspection of my bed, I've found that only two out of the six screws are actually there. I am trying to hunt down a bed or I might fab my own floor and then get some new fenders if I can't find my own. The square bar that is welded to the bed is all rusted but the frame is okay, just has rust flaking off all over but everything is solid. My questions are.

1. Is the square bar tapped for a bolt or is there a nut I have to hold on the inside to lock the bolt in place

2. Is there a good place to get replacement bolts and screws or does a repair manual list the type of bolt? I am going to have to find new bolts for it b/c four are missing and the two are probably rusted to crap.

Thanks in advance.

movin2stereo
11-21-2004, 07:47 AM
1.yes.2.The bolts are metric thread,try to save one so you can match it up.

balls_to_the_wall
11-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Ok...I know this has no bearing whatsoever to the current topic...but in your sig movin2stereo..i noticed that you have your amp on the wall of your cab..I just put in 2 subs and an amp...and how did you attach or amp to the cab without screws going through the sheet metal out the back of the cab..

Thanks

Ryan

dmbrisket 51
11-21-2004, 10:05 PM
use short self tap screws, he must of gone in through the plastic(guessing)

movin2stereo
11-22-2004, 08:04 PM
use short self tap screws, he must of gone in through the plastic(guessing)
Yes short screws and yes through the plastic.Funny because when I bought the truck there was screw holes all through the plastic and it looked like shit so I bought a new piece and wouldn't you know it.I did the same thing.:)

Add your comment to this topic!