Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

D16 or B16A2 with turbo...HELP!!

Schister66
10-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I have a 1997 Civic EX coupe. Its been lowered, a short ram 3" intake,
4-2-1 headers, racing cat, straight through 2.25" exhaust, strut tower bar and 16" Konig rims. I'm looking for a way to make my car fast, but not overkill. I have the money to do it, but need to pay for college right now too. I want a turbo, but nobody seems to support the idea of a D16 running 8-12lbs of turbo boost. Also my car has almost 85000 miles to add to the problem. I want to know if i should take it slow and buy a B16A2 motor or some other new motor or if i could make my D16 stock motor perform well enough to justify spending BIG $$$ on it. I'm fairly new to the whole Honda scene and also heard that the block on a D16 is not the same kind of quality as a B16A2 or the B18C5 that everyone wants me to get. I need some advice PLEASE!!!

civickiller
10-30-2004, 02:41 PM
you say you want to make your car fast, theres a variety of fast cars to people, theres 10 sec cars, 11 sec cars, 12sec cars, you get the idea, you need to give us some way to measure how fast you want to go like by giving us a 1/4 time you want to run

Schister66
10-31-2004, 11:39 AM
When i say fast, i mean around the speed of a GSX eclipse or pushing it to mean a WRX, but i talked to a friend of mine that works at a Checkers store and he was saying that for a good, effective turbo system on my car, it would cost around $6000 at least, between the turbo and the fuel management system. I don't think my Civic has the potential in it to justify spending $6000 more on it. I might go find another 300ZX TT and work on it. My parents had one, but it wasn't a TT. That's probably goning to be in a few years.

Greenblurr93
11-01-2004, 05:57 PM
When i say fast, i mean around the speed of a GSX eclipse or pushing it to mean a WRX, but i talked to a friend of mine that works at a Checkers store and he was saying that for a good, effective turbo system on my car, it would cost around $6000 at least, between the turbo and the fuel management system. I don't think my Civic has the potential in it to justify spending $6000 more on it. I might go find another 300ZX TT and work on it. My parents had one, but it wasn't a TT. That's probably goning to be in a few years.

6g's?? Ive seen all out race turbo kits for less than that, u can piece together a decent turbo kit for about $2500.

rosshatch89
11-01-2004, 06:47 PM
you can buy a kit from turbonetics for like 3200 from summit http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=110&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=turbo&x=0&y=0

94tegRS
11-01-2004, 06:54 PM
well, get the edelbrock kit, xcomes with the secondary injectors, the fuel management the turbo, IC, all piping and hoses/oil lines, everything and it gives you 174 WHP which is alot more than youll get off of the B18C5 swap, and you cant boost the ITR, well you could but not much and its not the best idea. GSR swap wiould be cheaper but even less power and you wouldnt have enough to boost it, plus if youve taken care of the car 85k aint shit.

Schister66
11-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was kind of in a slump for a few days, thinking that my Civic was a dead end car. I was going off of what this guy, who was supposed to be the authority on race turbos had told me, but now i have a little optimism. He said that the turbo kit would be the cheap part, but the ECU and the fuel management system would get a little spendy. Hey 93tegRS, do you really want to sell your Integra because one of my friends is looking, but doesn't have much to spend. He is here right now and insisted that i at least ask you for a price range and mileage. Thanks again for the advice!!

scivex
11-01-2004, 07:48 PM
check out turbod16.com and read up. there are plenty of fast d series engines out there and most are wayyy cheaper than getting an itr or even gsr swap.my :2cents:

97CivicX
11-01-2004, 09:53 PM
check out turbod16.com and read up. there are plenty of fast d series engines out there and most are wayyy cheaper than getting an itr or even gsr swap.my :2cents:

:werd:

civickiller
11-02-2004, 04:01 PM
heres what i would recommend. get new rods pistons, cam, springs, valves, retainers, intake mani, and tb. get a turbo kit of your choice, get a hondata. keep turning up the boost till you reach your desired hp or psi, which will probably be around 15psi. my friend with a sohc, put out 274whp at 14psi

Schister66
11-02-2004, 05:49 PM
heres what i would recommend. get new rods pistons, cam, springs, valves, retainers, intake mani, and tb. get a turbo kit of your choice, get a hondata. keep turning up the boost till you reach your desired hp or psi, which will probably be around 15psi. my friend with a sohc, put out 274whp at 14psi

How much would all of that cost?? Ask your friend and could you try to get me an approx. price range? I'm paying for college at the moment so if i do these mods to my car, it is going to take a while :banghead: Having 274 whp in my car would be better than what i had expected to achieve.

94tegRS
11-02-2004, 07:38 PM
no im not selling my integra, not even picking it up for 3-4 days, car for sale is a 5th gen civic hatchback with LS swap. and right now the hood is F'd cuz I slammed it when pissed and latch broke and short shifter broke so I couldnt even drive it up ramps to come from underneath to release the latch, cars too low for my jacks, latch mechanism itself was broke so pulling cable from fender well wouldnt have done anything so I basically destroyed the hood to get in. but I am gonna get a cheap stock replacement and put the stock shifter back in then sell it, Im looking for about 2500 or so, maybe a bit more when I finally get it fixed up/for sale

civickiller
11-03-2004, 02:23 AM
just for the engine mods would probably be around 1500, if you put together your own kit then i would check out www.homemadeturbo.com you can see what parts you will need and you can search the internet and find prices, then compare them to a turbo kit and see which one is cheaper and get the cheaper one. but i wouldnt go with used parts, i would buy all new parts just because older parts can be more prone to failure. lots of turbo kits to chose from also

2fast4you209
11-05-2004, 11:06 AM
I have 2 turbos/manifolds/down pipes for d16y8 for sale the main part of your diy kit. my 96 coup full int and 2 people took a ITR no prob and GSR's and SI's all day long. ran 8 psi from 3700 to 7000 k. cheep must sell have many pics let me know they eill go fast.
2fast4you123@walla.com

Add your comment to this topic!