Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Engine Light vs. Service Vehicle Soon Light

bermis519
10-30-2004, 12:49 PM
I was just wondering what the difference between the service engine light the comes on in the little information center screen and then the check engine light that is in the bottom right corner. What does it mean if the service vehicle soon light comes on? Same with the check engine light?

I noticed that there were two different lights on it.

mike

bermis519
11-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know what this means. I'm just need to know if there is a difference between the two...

mike

Fireplug
11-08-2004, 09:44 PM
check engine light? is it red ?? engine low oil service vehicle soon light comes on? yellow or amber in color emissions system

meezy09
11-09-2004, 01:52 AM
I was just wondering what the difference between the service engine light the comes on in the little information center screen and then the check engine light that is in the bottom right corner. What does it mean if the service vehicle soon light comes on? Same with the check engine light?

I noticed that there were two different lights on it.

mike
A check engine light is for emission problems only could be a missfire rich or lean, etc. service light may indicate its time to change the oil, or that its time for its scheduled tune up. I believe the service light for that car resets through the radio.

bermis519
11-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Well in the LCD part..once in awhile, it says service vehicle soon, it's yellow in color..it does say change oil or anything like that. Just says service vehicle soon. TOok to dealership said it was the light module....whatever the heck that is..check engine like hasn't come on yet...knock on wood...i just wonder what it means. No i can't shut it off thorugh the radio either...

mike

Robertwav1
11-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Well in the LCD part..once in awhile, it says service vehicle soon, it's yellow in color..it does say change oil or anything like that. Just says service vehicle soon. TOok to dealership said it was the light module....whatever the heck that is..check engine like hasn't come on yet...knock on wood...i just wonder what it means. No i can't shut it off thorugh the radio either...

mike

Okay Mike, Heres what I found. After using autotap to check for codes....none on the "Check Engine Light". This is the red indicator as you have stated earlier. There is a yellow "Service Engine Soon LCD". I didn't realize we now have to deal with two lights that may or may not be related. I am still in the process of investigating this and will continue but, so far below is some information;

A Yellow Warning light, (Usually a Service engine soon light) indicates "Proceed with caution." The onboard computer system has indicated a potential problem and is alerting the driver. This computer system resets and re-tests all sensors and indicators each time the car is started. The computer system is capable of correcting some minor abnormalities, but if the light continues to come on after multiple car starts, it is probably sensing something that would imply a visit to the diagnostic mechanic is in order.

Some common things that may cause a yellow light (Service engine soon light) to come on, but will probably require an experienced technician to diagnose are:

anti-lock brake systems
safety restraint systems, such as air bags
emissions components
computer-related problems, such as faulty sensors

If you are driving your car and a yellow light comes on, ask yourself these questions:

1. Did you notice problems when starting the car? (slower to start than normal..etc.)

2. Have you noticed a decrease in fuel mileage recently?

3. What is the over-all running condition of the car? Is the engine misfiring or not performing like normal? Are there any new noises from under the hood? Turn off the radio and listen closely as you drive the car.

4. Do you notice any odors, such as a rotten egg smell, or see visible smoke from the tail-pipe or from under the hood?

Make sure to note the exact location and wording of the light that has been coming on, because Murphy's Law dictates that the light will suddenly not come on when you take it in to the repair shop.

In some cars, "engine" is the more serious red light, whereas others use "check engine light," which is a yellow caution light. If the mechanic thinks you are seeing a yellow "check engine light," and your car is indicating a red "engine" danger light, this could be a costly mistake for both of you. Why? You could be having a serious over heating problem and the mechanic is assuming you are having a less serious caution light illuminating. The mechanic then might give you the "green light" (no pun intended) to proceed with your out of town road trip with the kids. Yikes!

Start the car, and point to the light to ensure good communication of the problem. Intermittent dash warning lights can be a pain and hard to diagnose! Diagnosing the problem in some cases will require the light to be on while the mechanic performs the diagnostic test. If the light is not on when you bring the car to the shop, you might be wasting your time and the mechanic's.

maxwedge
11-14-2006, 05:17 PM
This is a 2 year old thread, very dead now, you may want to start a new thread with this info.

BNaylor
11-15-2006, 03:08 PM
This is a 2 year old thread, very dead now, you may want to start a new thread with this info.

Thread has been closed. Thanks Shep.

Add your comment to this topic!