Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do i speed up a paint process?

ImolaEK
10-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Hello, I have two models which I really wan't to work on but I still have to wait for the paint to harden. I want to know how I could speed up the paint process. I am waiting for the basecoat to harden up to clear coat it. I have heard about the food dehydrator but that i dont think i will buy one just to dry up models. Will a blow drier help? Will the plastic melt from the blow drier? Im doing this because sometimes my paints have cracked or just became rough (not smooth {lumps}) after a while when I just clear coat it immidiately.

Please Im looking for help and not for critism or just the stupid ol' "repost!" or "search" from some people.

Thanks,

jswillmon
10-29-2004, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry if you think this is stupid but try searching for food dehydrator (sp?).
a number of people here use them to speed up the painting process, check the threads out and see if that will meet your needs.

Jay!
10-29-2004, 04:46 PM
$40 food dehydrator from WalMart.

Good for curing all types of paint, setting water-based glues (white glue), heating up spray cans.

Recommended. :thumbsup: For styrene plastic, try not to exceed 110°.

Okiemodelbuilder
10-29-2004, 04:58 PM
$40 food dehydrator from WalMart.

Good for curing all types of paint, setting water-based glues (white glue), heating up spray cans.

Recommended. :thumbsup: For styrene plastic, try not to exceed 110°.
:iagree: The best $40 I ever spent for modeling. Marc

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Mine was $12 at Big Lots...no fan, no motors, just a heating element and trays and some sliding vents. Yet if I can't find another one if/when this one dies (it's on all the time), I don't have a problem w/the Wal Mart versions.

There really is no better way to dry a model quickly. You could be cheap and make a big cardboard box and put a low wattage lamp inside of it. Or put your model in your oven and leave the light on. Danger being if anyone turns on the oven.

ImolaEK
10-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Any pictures?

EDIT:

Is this it?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1120727

freakray
10-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Got mine for $14 at K-Mart, I used my drill and a thermometer to get the temp to the right/safe range, just drilled holes in the tray outer rims to vent more air until it wouldn't get above 110 F.

ImolaEK
10-29-2004, 05:53 PM
The food dehydrator works by rising the temperature? Could you set the temperature to stay there or do you have to be enxt to it while it dries up. Or as Ray mentioned drill holes? Does the temperature keep on rising every second?

:uhoh:

Jay!
10-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Any pictures?

EDIT:

Is this it?
That's the one I have. Apparently, you pay more for temperature control. That one has a thermostat.

I cut out the tray bottom from one of the four trays to make room to hold whole car bodies.

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-29-2004, 06:42 PM
If it's vented properly, it gets to temperature and stays there. You have to measure the heat, and adjust the vents accordingly. You don't have to sit w/it. I leave cars in there for hours/days.

Someone told me that for every 10 degrees increase in ambient temperature, you will cut drying time in half. So if your dehydrator is 110 degrees and ambient air in your house is 70 degrees, what would take 8 hours to dry would take 1/2 hour at 110 degrees. Or if you used to wait a month, you can figure a couple days in the dehydrator. Based on my own use, I'd say the figures are reasonably accurate. In real world terms, you can get away w/spraying a body and be able to polish it in a matter of hours, or at least overnight. Flat acrylics dry almost immediately.

ImolaEK
10-29-2004, 06:58 PM
If it's vented properly, it gets to temperature and stays there. You have to measure the heat, and adjust the vents accordingly. You don't have to sit w/it. I leave cars in there for hours/days.

Someone told me that for every 10 degrees increase in ambient temperature, you will cut drying time in half. So if your dehydrator is 110 degrees and ambient air in your house is 70 degrees, what would take 8 hours to dry would take 1/2 hour at 110 degrees. Or if you used to wait a month, you can figure a couple days in the dehydrator. Based on my own use, I'd say the figures are reasonably accurate. In real world terms, you can get away w/spraying a body and be able to polish it in a matter of hours, or at least overnight. Flat acrylics dry almost immediately.

Thanks for the info guys,

Will see if this week i find time to go to Walmart since i have the whole week off! :smokin:

Okiemodelbuilder
10-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Any pictures?

EDIT:

Is this it?

That's the one!!! Marc

ImolaEK
11-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Well i bought the food dehydrator today. I want to know if i did somthing right, i broke some of the parts of the tray to fit my cars in there, is that suppsoed to be done because i couldn't fit any cars in there without breaking through. I have it at 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Should i increase the temperature or leave it at that?

Here are pictures of the model i bought.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/73957DSC08576.JPG
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/73957DSC08577.JPG
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/73957DSC08578.JPG

ImolaEK
11-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Also how long should i keep my model in there?

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Yes, generally you have to take a few of the trays and cut the bottoms out to make them "spacers" so you can fit bodies/taller objects. 105 degrees should be okay, test first! Leave parts in there to dry as long as necessary...if you can't smell the paint anymore, it's usually dry. Bodies can be ready to work with anywhere from minutes to hours to overnight, depending on the paint. Flat acrylics/metalizers/automotive lacquers dry very rapidly. Enamels take longer. Do some testing on your own to see what works.

SteveK2003
11-01-2004, 06:03 PM
I've heard Tamiya acrylic paint take forever to cure/harden: Does this help?

ImolaEK
11-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Yes, generally you have to take a few of the trays and cut the bottoms out to make them "spacers" so you can fit bodies/taller objects. 105 degrees should be okay, test first! Leave parts in there to dry as long as necessary...if you can't smell the paint anymore, it's usually dry. Bodies can be ready to work with anywhere from minutes to hours to overnight, depending on the paint. Flat acrylics/metalizers/automotive lacquers dry very rapidly. Enamels take longer. Do some testing on your own to see what works.

Awesome!

I guess i'll leave it for a couple of hours to make sure. :biggrin:

rx7king
11-01-2004, 06:41 PM
does this just speed it up, or does it make the finish better too?

IImportSupra
11-01-2004, 10:50 PM
I still dont see why you couldnt use your moms hair dryer. Cheaper....

ImolaEK
11-01-2004, 11:03 PM
I still dont see why you couldnt use your moms hair dryer. Cheaper....

lol, never thought of that i guess...

Its been 6 hours and the cars are still in the dehydrator. You guys think thats enough?

ToyTundra
11-02-2004, 01:08 PM
...if you can't smell the paint anymore, it's usually dry.
That's exactly my method. Then i'm over cautious by not touching the outside of the body with my fingers as i polish.

Mine take 4 to 6 hours with no food dehydrator. gotta love >15% humidity and 100+ degrees in the summer. As for RB26DETT-GTR, take it out and inhale deeply then decide.

Add your comment to this topic!