Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

is this orange peel?

lancerevoRS
10-29-2004, 01:27 PM
hehehe am a noob :) as u can see this is my old nsx which am planning on doing a make over on, add widebody etc, with the rims from the HKS r32

but i was wondering is this what you guys call orange peel?

http://img40.exs.cx/img40/6195/IMG_0103.th.jpg (http://img40.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img40&image=IMG_0103.jpg)

if it is, do i just simply sand it all off?and how do i remove decals?because i tried sanding it, and theres still a little lump there :( thanks anyways people for reading :)

SchuberT
10-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Ewww...

But still, that isn't orange peel. Orange peel will still have the color, but it would have a texture much like an orange. The paint on the NSX looks smooth, but I have no idea what that white stuff is.

mike united
10-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Thats not orange peel, looks like its been in the food blender for a spin !!
Drop that thing (just the body, minus windows etc) into some dot 3 or 4 brake fluid for a few days, then all the old paint will just scrape off nice n easy, then start again with the paint procedure.

Good luck, mike :sunglasse

jswillmon
10-29-2004, 01:40 PM
looks like it's time to get out the brake fluid. That's far worse than orange peel, it's cracked pretty bad (probally b/c of diffrent paint types used) and there are a few runs/thick areas in the paint.
Just strip it and start over again, I know you can do alot better. Just use the same kind of primer, paint, and clear this time.
Good luck.

Spitfire7
10-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Its not orange peel, but it needs stripping and re-doing. Did you use primer?

lancerevoRS
10-29-2004, 01:48 PM
lol, the white stuff is dust :)
ah ok, il try get some brake fluid, but cant i just sand it all off?

mike united
10-29-2004, 01:53 PM
PATIENCE !!!
If you want it to look nice which we all know you can acheive just follow everyone's advice.
Look forward to some new progress & good luck ..................Mike :sunglasse

Skunk.werkz
10-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Easy off oven cleaner is a little bit easier to use than brake fluid.

99civichic
10-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Oven cleaner will burn your hands, brake fluid doesn't. Sure you can sand it down, but painting over it will probably have the same effect. I've tried that. You'd be far better off using the brake fluid. It's really really cheap.

Just something I've noticed, I use Krylon primer on everything because it's so cheap and I've never had a bad reaction. It's under my cars sprayed with Krylon paint, Duplicolor, and even nail polish. I've also used Duplicolor clear because I love how easy it is to spray and it hasn't caused me any problems. Money's tight for me, so cheap paint is a big deal!

mike@af
10-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Sanding will take longer, for a worse job than brake fluid.

Tikiman
10-29-2004, 03:39 PM
looks like you sprayed acrylic over enamel. That's what hgappened when i did it.

bvia
10-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Water based acrylics (NOT automotive type) can be painted over ANYTHING as it has the least harmful thinner (which is H2O or IPA). This appears is an example of a reaction of differing paints types/brands.

If I remember correctly its Lacquer over Enamel over Acrylic in that order (expections being automotive type acrylics) with Lacquer having the strongest solvent and Acrylic having the weakest.

As others stated, dunk that bad boy and try again! ;-)>

Orange peel is exactl what it sounds like, a rough or pebbled texture on the paint surface.

hth,
Bill

Tikiman
10-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Well i sprayed Tamiya spray paint, which i tought was acrylic, over Humbrol enamel and that is the exact same effect i got. It is lifting the paint off and gone kinda flakey.

Vric
10-29-2004, 06:28 PM
nice paint reaction there :D

never mix paint type before trying it before on a scrap part :D

lancerevoRS
10-29-2004, 07:02 PM
ahhh ok, hmm am gonna clean the body sometime before my xmas holidays, since am not going anywhere, and familys gone away, il prob spend some of my xmas holiday doing a re-make on this car :)

btw, what do u guys think of this mini 'project'?

il TRY and make this bonnet

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/4229/front_hood_type_r_im.jpg

this bodykit (something close to it, since my nsx is the old version :) )

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/7956/SRNSXPO03.jpg

and this spoiler, and u can see in between where the spoiler stand thingys are, theres a gap where the old spoiler use to be, il prob try smoothen that out so its kinda flat :D

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/716/nsx-rear-wing-3d-f-4.jpg

and btw, ive never used putty before, so this might turn out to be a piece of crap :lol:

Skunk.werkz
10-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Oven cleaner will burn your hands, brake fluid doesn't. Sure you can sand it down, but painting over it will probably have the same effect. I've tried that. You'd be far better off using the brake fluid. It's really really cheap.

Oven cleaner doesn't burn your hands if you use gloves. I've been using oven cleaner to strip bodies for years. I've been restoring vintage Radio Control car bodies AND models. Plus you don't really get oven cleaner all over your hands. You set the model on a flat surface, spray it down. Then you go sit down or watch some TV, whatever. You come back and bring the model to a sink and wash the model off and scrub it down with a toothbrush, you don't get anything on your hands barely. Breakfluid you need some sort of container to dip the model in oven cleaner just sprays on and foams up. Breakfluid you need to go to an automotive store to buy it, granted you can use it over and over but I think washing breakfluid down the drain is a hazard to the environment so that means you must take it somewhere like a automotive garage and pay them or have them dispose of it properly.

I recomend Easy Off oven cleaner in the yellow can if you want easy and affordable results.

99civichic
10-29-2004, 09:00 PM
**shrugs** I used brake fluid on the one car I've stripped, it cost me something like $0.93 at Walmart. I used soaked cotton balls instead of immersing it in the fluid. My one experience with oven cleaner I ended up with burns on my arms where the gloves didn't cover, I hate that stuff. But that's just me.

mikereynolds89
10-29-2004, 09:09 PM
will oven cleaner or brake fluid screw up a front bumper if i strip a single coat of paint and the primer of it?

Skunk.werkz
10-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Both methods have been proven time and time again. I just like to use easy off as my prefered method of stripping any paint. It's great for chrome also. But I do know that break fluid does work.

will oven cleaner or brake fluid screw up a front bumper if i strip a single coat of paint and the primer of it?

Both methods should do no harm to the plastic.

weaponCIVIC
10-30-2004, 11:17 AM
ahhh ok, hmm am gonna clean the body sometime before my xmas holidays, since am not going anywhere, and familys gone away, il prob spend some of my xmas holiday doing a re-make on this car :)

btw, what do u guys think of this mini 'project'?

il TRY and make this bonnet

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/4229/front_hood_type_r_im.jpg

this bodykit (something close to it, since my nsx is the old version :) )

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/7956/SRNSXPO03.jpg

and this spoiler, and u can see in between where the spoiler stand thingys are, theres a gap where the old spoiler use to be, il prob try smoothen that out so its kinda flat :D

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/716/nsx-rear-wing-3d-f-4.jpg

and btw, ive never used putty before, so this might turn out to be a piece of crap :lol:

start with something more simple, just a front lip and simple things like that. that bodykit looks difficult to recreate even for an expirienced modeler.

lancerevoRS
10-30-2004, 01:09 PM
hmm, il prob TRY make something close to it, not 100% the same tho, and erm any tips on how to convert a flat bonnet into something like i posted?

HighOctaneNOSUser
10-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I think tat is really coplex. PS< I am a newb to modeling, and when I saw it, I thought I could do it too. Then i studied it for a moment and said, "uh, no..." so, just follow the advice /\/\/\/\ and do soemthing simple.

bvia
10-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Well i sprayed Tamiya spray paint, which i tought was acrylic, over Humbrol enamel and that is the exact same effect i got. It is lifting the paint off and gone kinda flakey.

Tamiya Sprays (the TS line) are synthetic lacquers...which usually contain the harshest reducers/thinners. When in doubt, stick with 1(ONE) manufactuer for the primer and color coats.

hth,
Bill

Add your comment to this topic!