Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stripping chrome

tom8342
10-28-2004, 10:06 PM
hey still a newb here, but got another question. I looked thought the FAQ and didnt find anything about stipping the chromed parts and just wanted to know the best way to do it. same as stripping regular paint? (which i did find 1 artical about) anyway, reason is, building a 88 mustang, and painted it metallic red. (thanks to guiddy for the awesome tutorial, the car body is my best work EVER) however, I accidently primed it black so it came out dark. a metallic maroon. but still looks very good (just unexpected untill to late) Im thinking gold rims might look better than chrome ones. Thanks for all the help

Okiemodelbuilder
10-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Just soak your chrome parts in Castrol Super Clean. Be sure to wear gloves and take any other safety precautions. Marc

Skunk.werkz
10-28-2004, 11:35 PM
Easy off oven cleaner, heavy duty

ol' dude
10-29-2004, 06:29 AM
Use Liquid Plum-r, I have some stuff soaking right now as we type!!

Martbee
10-29-2004, 06:38 AM
Poor quality bleech work very fine for me.

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-29-2004, 08:25 AM
I use Easy Off oven cleaner, it only takes a couple minutes to dissolve the chrome...almost in front of your eyes. Why wait? Give it a bit longer, it will remove the clear carrier under the chrome, but I find that's really not necessary in most cases. Just enough time to dissolve the chrome, and then refinish.

Fkouch
10-29-2004, 09:51 AM
I use Easy Off oven cleaner, it only takes a couple minutes to dissolve the chrome...almost in front of your eyes. Why wait? Give it a bit longer, it will remove the clear carrier under the chrome, but I find that's really not necessary in most cases. Just enough time to dissolve the chrome, and then refinish.

Does anyone know of a UK alternative to Easy Off?

Thanks

Farrokh

SchuberT
10-29-2004, 11:14 AM
hey still a newb here, but got another question.

This was discussed many times, and almost all of the threads could be found by searching for exactly what you wrote in the title.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=200354&highlight=stripping+chrome

However, I found that using bleach will dissolve the chrome. The bleach I had wasn't poorest of quality, though, so it dissolved really slowly. Try to get the cheapest bleach you can as it says in the thread I linked to.

Add your comment to this topic!