Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

84 S10

BLAZERBOY69
10-28-2004, 03:15 PM
I Have An 84 S10 2wd 2.8l V6. I Just Replaced The Flywheel, And The Valve Cover Gaskets, And The Oilpan Gasket (that Was A Bitch) And Also Gave It A Tune Up (plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Oil, Trans Fluid,) I'm Doing The Coolant Flush This Weekend. My Question Is This: No Matter How Much Stuff I Do, It Seems That I Can't Get Rid Of The Shake In The Motor. Sitting At Idle, It Feels Like I'm Sitting On A Space Shuttle About An Inch Off The Ground. And Also, I've Replaced The Starter, But Now Every Time I Try To Start It, I Get A High Pitched Grinding Sound, Then It Catches, Then I Try To Start It Again And It Jumps Right In. I Thought It Might Be The Mounting Shims, But Removing One Of Them Hasn't Helped At All. Help Guys!!!

busa_4
10-28-2004, 03:29 PM
alright your starter problem might be your starter ring gear on the flywheel. the teeth are probably rounded off at a certain point so it engauges sometimes and grinds others times depending on where the ring gear teeth are to the starter teeth.
the shaking at idle could be the engine mounts. check your engine mounts by putting a jack under the oil pan (make sure you put a piece of wood in between the jack and the oil pan or lift the motor by a more secure point) and slowly try to lift the motor. DO NOT LIFT THE VEHICLE ONLY THE MOTOR. if the motor lifts up even a small amount your motor mounts are bad. replace them and that will solve your shaking problem. if the mounts are good then you might have a missfire or a dead cylinder(low compression or no compression). check the compression of all cylinders. i also noticed that your missing 2 important parts on the tune up you have done. dont forget to replaced the fuel filter and the pcv valve. good luck. let us know what you find.

BLAZERBOY69
10-28-2004, 03:43 PM
I Already Checked The Mounts (first Thing I Did Before I Bought It) And I Just Replaced The Tranny Mount When I Replaced Theflywheel/ring Gear. (it Is An Automatic And You Can't Purchase The Ring Gear By Itself Unless You Want To Weld It Onto Flywheel Yourself.) I Replaced The Fly Wheel Because Th Flywheel Broke At The Crankshaft.

BLAZERBOY69
10-28-2004, 03:44 PM
No Misfire, Compression Is Beautiful

BLAZERBOY69
10-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Fuel Filter And Pcv Valve Are Now Added On To My To Do List

Mikado14
10-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Check your vacuum with a guage. If you have checked each plug to make sure that all 6 are getting fire and the compression is good, start checking for intake manifold gasket, TBI base gasket or any vacuum line.

busa_4
10-29-2004, 12:31 PM
that was the info i needed. i found your problem. you replaced the flywheel/flexplate. there are 2 types of flexplate/flywheels. there is a internally balanced and an externally balanced flexplate. the internally balanced flexplate is balanced as a rotating assembly. so; the flexplate, crankshaft, and harmonic balancer are balanced as 1 unit. the externally balanced flexplate is balanced by itself. the crankshaft and harmonic balancer are also balanced by themself. find out what kind of flexplate you purchased.

BLAZERBOY69
10-29-2004, 02:10 PM
I Got The Externally Balanced. It Strange Because When I Replaced It The First Time, Before It Broke, It Was Making The Same Noise. But Only After About 6 Months Of Smooth Starts. The Bolts Mounting The Flywheel To The Crank Had Sheared Off The Wheel Itself. Is It Possible That My Crank Is Putting Out More Power Than Tha Flywheel Can Handle?

BLAZERBOY69
10-29-2004, 02:11 PM
And What The Heck Is A Harmonic Balancer? Is It The Drum Thingy That Connects To The Flywheel With The Three Triangulated Bolts?

BLAZERBOY69
10-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Oh Yeah Fuel Filter Replaced Last Night.

BlazerLT
10-29-2004, 02:53 PM
You need to get another starter.

Did you get a complete new starter or did you use some parts from your old one? The high pitched noise when stating is from the starter gear not meshing properly and only catch the tops of the teeth on the flywheel.

Also, you need to have the vehicle timed properly and make you don't have a timing wire to disconnect from a spark control or computer, I don't know whether a 1984 has it.

Maybe your carb needs rebuilting and needs a new kit?

busa_4
10-29-2004, 03:44 PM
call up a gm dealer and see if your model year truck is internally balanced or externally balanced. harmonic balancer is the pulley assembly bolted to the front of the crankshaft. yes. it looks like a triangle with rubber dampeners in it. most of them have the timing marks on them.

Fireplug
10-29-2004, 08:42 PM
If I remember correct if the starter is making a high pitched whine it to close to the flywheel and needs more shims. If it makes a zing sound then its hitting the top of the flywheel teeth and needs shims removed because its to far away
Next did you put the flywheel on backwards it will bolt on both ways but things will be out of wack

BLAZERBOY69
11-01-2004, 11:06 AM
The Flywheel Only Mounted One Way.the Transmission Only Allowed One Way To Mount It. And It Is Making The Zing Sound. And The High Whine. There Were Three Bolts That Mount The Flywheel To The Tranny, And Eight Bolts That Mount It To The Crank. The Center Of The Fly Wheel Touches The Crank And The Flwheel Is Bent To Face The Rear Of The Vehicle. No Bent Literally, But Formed.

busa_4
11-01-2004, 02:44 PM
i am not dougbting you assembled it wrong. it is all irrellevant if the flexplate is not properly balanced. a slight inbalance at idle can be devasting at redline. you will start to destroy your seals and bearings.

BLAZERBOY69
11-01-2004, 03:24 PM
I Did Not Install It Incorrectly, I Had Both The Haynes And Chilton Manuals, Both Showed The Correct Fit Of The Flexplate/flywheel, And I Installed It Almost Identica To The Picture. And I Found That It Is Externally Balanced. So..... }:p

busa_4
11-01-2004, 04:29 PM
relax!!! i never said you installed it incorrectly. i said make sure you have the correct balance.
damn! you try and help people and they explode on you for giving them info.

BLAZERBOY69
11-01-2004, 04:51 PM
I Wasn't Explodeing On You....... It Was A Very Small Pop.......fizzzz. And I Was Just Explaing That I Did Not Install Wrong, But The Noise Persists. I Do Appreciate All The Help That Everybody Is Giving Me, And I Have Put This Sight As A Favorite On My Desktop. You Have All Been Very Helpful And Informative, And I Just Wanted To Say, (snif) I Love You Guys..... Lol

Add your comment to this topic!