Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

question about hardwiring an iPod w/jetta

threefromthekey
10-27-2004, 09:45 PM
I recently got an adapter for my ipod that creates an AUX out line...i've heard that all I need to do is buy some RCA adapters from radio shack to hardwire it to my radio as if it were a cd player...does this sound right, and what kind of RCA adapters should i get?

also how did you guys get the tools to take out a stock radio? the only place i know that has em is the volkswagen dealer and they dont sell them

oh and i have a 2001 jetta GLS...

thanks

mx6rrr
10-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Ok, what you need is an RF modualtor...The modulator runs through the antenna in your car (behind the radio) or you can buy a wireless on (but they dont work as well). There is going to be an accessory wire and ground wire that you will have to hook up and then you will need antenna adapters to convert the vw antenna to a standard motorolla end, then there should be a switch on the side of the modulator that lets you choose a station for it to run through on your radio... pick a station that isnt used or is weak in the area you drive in. Then there should be some rca inputs on the mod..which you hook up to your ipod (or whatever you want hooked up to it...i used my laptop)....I know Kenwood makes on but I dont know model #. I think circuit city still caries them, I used to carry them here at best buy but we stopped for some reason....good luck (and make sure to test for acc before hooking up wires!)
As far as keys for a jetta, i use pioneer keys (you should be able to get a free pair from any install shop, or ask them if they can pull out your radio. We usually charge 16 bucks labor and 4 parts plus 22 for antenna adapters to install it...$44+/-. Im pretty sure you can buy professional keys for your car from Matco/Snap-on.

mx6rrr
10-29-2004, 10:30 AM
PS...the acc wire in the ingnition harness in your car should be a black/red wire. It will be about where your knees whould hit the dash if you had your seat pushed really far up! :) TEST IT FIRST with a multimeter, NOT a test light. It will read 12 volts when key is on (and 0 when off).

Add your comment to this topic!