99' Silverado Fuel pump noise??

Whitetailer
10-27-2004, 06:32 AM
I am brand new to this site. Found you all by doing a search for "Silverado Fuel Pump".
My question..... My fuel pump started to whine (loud) after a trip from Georgia to The Keys. (8hr hwy.driving) I changed the fuel filter and a short time after, the noise stopped. Well, I can hear a quiet pump whine... The dealer says the pump cost $440.00 with 2.9 hr. labor to install. arrrrrggghhhh. Now that the pump has settled down, will it die soon, or go on for ever? What are the odds? I drive up to Georgia to hunt in the fall, and I do not want to get broke down on I-75 on my way!!! The truck has 125,000 mi. It runs well. If it was not for the noise, I would not have a care in the world...

Input please.....

Thanks, Russ

P.S. 4.3 L

skipr
10-27-2004, 07:41 PM
I replaced my fuel pump module. I bought a OEM fuel pump from the dealer. And it has whinned loud from day 1, that was 50,000 miles ago.
The first pump was quiet, but failed after 30,000. I would rather have a noisy working pump, than a quiet bad pump any day of the week.

busta
10-27-2004, 08:50 PM
oh boy 50/50 chance they are common to whine and to die? check around for aftermarket top of the line pump if you change it, so in the future 1-it'll work 2-be able to handle upgade's and adjustment

skipr
10-28-2004, 01:43 AM
What really sucks too, is you can't buy just the submersable pump. You have to buy the entire module. (including the tank pressure sensor, fuel level sender...etc.) The pump itself is fairly small (6" long, 1 1/4" diameter)

mossie
10-29-2004, 10:20 PM
All of a sudden mine became noticeably louder. The fuel pressure checked ok. Repair shop said they would replace it for $600 if I wanted, but said it wasn't uncommon for even a new fuel pump to become noisy as well. That was over a year ago, and it's still going ok.

Whitetailer
10-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Mossie, I like your reply. Makes me feel I can gamble with this pump. The sound has quieted down to almost nothing and the truck drives with no indication of a problem. I think rather than spend the six hundred bucks plus I will drive it.

Thank's to all for youyr advice.

Russ.............................................. ............!

Whitetailer
11-03-2004, 06:56 AM
On my original post I forgot to mention that I used a dose of Lucas gas treatment(for injectors-combustion chamber etc.) before my trip. could that have had anything to do with the fuel pump noise? Like maybe breaking some dirt loose around the pick up and getting into the pump?

Pump still quiet after two weeks.

Whitetailer.......................

kammouflage
11-09-2004, 12:52 PM
i have a 97 silverado with a noisy fuel pump and it has been that way since i bout it about a year ago, also my friends mom has a '99 silverado that has a noisy fuel pump and she says it's done that since the day she bought it new and has never givin her any trouble.

I wouldn't worry about it, just get used to the noise and eventually you won't even notice it.

Add your comment to this topic!