Ignition Wires no spark

[EMD]solo
10-26-2004, 06:41 PM
I've got a friend with a 96 Volvo 850 non Turbo. His car has recently developed a problem with the engine’s ignition system. We have checked the wires and plugs which to be in good working condition. We then went on and suspect that the ignition coil might have gone bad and replaced it with an original Volvo ignition coil. The problem still exists. Does anyone have the similar problem or tips on how to go on and diagnose the problem? Thanks.

jmlizzi
03-09-2005, 12:14 PM
I was curious what symptoms you encountered. My non turbo 1996 850 started cutting out while driving. It seems to me that it is either a spark problem or a fuel problem. The mechanic has replaced the ignitor- but removed it bc it did not fix the problem. He is putting an engine computer in to see if that is the problem. I am not sure if he has looked at the fuel pump. I wanted to see if your problems were similar to the ones I experienced. I was driving in the mountains and she chugged and the accelerator stopped working. I had to pull off immediately. I shut her off for a few minutes. Turned her back on and she began to shake violently with a chugging noise. I turned her off again. She eventually took longer to turn over but then would shut off right after chugging. Are these any of the symptoms that you experienced?

[EMD]solo
03-09-2005, 01:09 PM
My friend's Volvo won't even start. There is no spark at the spark plugs. As I said, we've already checked the spark plugs, ignition wires, and replaced ignition coil for testing with no result.

I think your Volvo has a different problem. There are a couple of possibilities that will cause your engine to vibrate. You might want to see first is if the ignition wires are correctly installed and matched to the correct ignition order to the ignition cap. If the ignition order is wrong, the car is still drivable but will have the symptons which you described and cause the engine to stall. Have the technician check the order first, if the order IS wrong, you can save a lot of money and time. Good luck...

BTW, my friend donated his car and got some tax deduction. He is now driving the new Volvo T5. Sweet~~ :D

antmanhk
03-11-2005, 11:14 AM
check the cam sensor - had a similar problem.....

Add your comment to this topic!