CD Players shuts off

bh04
10-26-2004, 02:25 PM
I have an aftermarket cd player for my 2000 cavy. It's an Eclipse, and when I am listening to my subs fairly loud and all, my cd player shuts off, then after a few seconds it turns on again. I checked the wires and it all seems to be fine. I have a new battery (a few days old). What could the problem be.

diddy0071
10-26-2004, 08:43 PM
I have an aftermarket cd player for my 2000 cavy. It's an Eclipse, and when I am listening to my subs fairly loud and all, my cd player shuts off, then after a few seconds it turns on again. I checked the wires and it all seems to be fine. I have a new battery (a few days old). What could the problem be.

Sonofabitch, and I thought I was the only one with this problem. Unfortunately, Chevrolet decided that the wires it provides for it's harness are of good caliber and quality. THEY ARE NOT!!! over time, they just get crappier and crappier. So here is your solution, not a fun one, but I had to do it. Look at the wiring harness of the deck. (NOT THE MALE, the FEMALE THAT COMES ON THE CAR!!) Look for the orange wire. It is the memory cable. your going to have to cut off that wire, and tape it off. It's of NO USE TO YOU!!!! Run a new wire straight from the battery (WITH A FUSE ATTACHED MIND YOU!!) and run it back all the way to your deck. look on the harness of the stereo. Wherever that orange wire is supposed to connect to, connect the new wire running from the battery to that. That should fix your problem. It's not fun, but it works. I had the same problem. I fixed too much stupid shit. I changed battery, alternator, ground and power wires running from the battery.

Mangoamerican
10-27-2004, 12:30 AM
it sounds to me that your cd player isnt getting enough power when your system bumps, replacing the wire will definatly give your system the power it craves

S_chevy
10-27-2004, 10:50 AM
It could be a crossed wire to, It has never happened to me with a car but I had a crossed speaker wirer on my home system and when ever I would turn it up a load the whole system would shut down.

izinka58
10-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Holy shit. My CD player was doing that same fucking thing.

Admiral558
10-27-2004, 01:38 PM
ditto to all the above, but I found the problem with mine was it didn't have a good enough ground, so I fed a longer cable up near the passenger airbag, couple of bolts goto the frame there...

diddy0071
10-27-2004, 02:14 PM
It could be a crossed wire to, It has never happened to me with a car but I had a crossed speaker wirer on my home system and when ever I would turn it up a load the whole system would shut down.

A crossed wire will not cause the stereo to turn off on a car. For starters, there are 2 wires running to power that run the stereo, the Power wire, and the Memory wire. The memory wire keeps the stereo from forgetting things like your preset radio stations and the time display. A crossed wire will not turn off the stereo, but it might mess up your speaker. Also, if it was a crossed wire going to a speaker, you could tell because you wouldn't hear much music coming from your speakers because the sound waves would cancel each other out, because one of the signals is in phase, and the other is out of phase. YOU WOULD KNOW, it wouldn't sound right. So, the only explanation, would be the one I'm giving you, because it happened to me, it was installed by a professional installation service which I wouldn't think crossed the wires, plus I took it back to that installation service, and he ran a new wire straight from the battery for free, to fix the problem. Plus, if it was a crossed wire then why is the stereo working fine, until he turns up the volume, or VOLTAGE, on the wire? If it was crossed, then the stereo wouldn't function at all. mix up the power, ground or memory wires, and it's not working. You might even blow the deck's fuse.

So good guess, but it's not that. By the way, the stereo at home has a built in circuit that shuts it off, when it's not connected right. Most home recievers have that function.

4dr92cavi4cyl
10-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Another Idea, run that wire from the battery into the snipped end on the harness, instead of your radios harness, this way when you change your deck or need to take it out, you won't have to cut that wire everytime. :)

I know someone's gonna say "but that wire is crap, that just defeats the purpose of the new wire" well maybe you're right but you've just bypassed the other 6 feet of wire, the 1-2 inches used in the harness shouldn't cause the same problem, if it does use quick-disconnect ends and run it into the deck harness.

diddy0071
10-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Another Idea, run that wire from the battery into the snipped end on the harness, instead of your radios harness, this way when you change your deck or need to take it out, you won't have to cut that wire everytime. :)

I know someone's gonna say "but that wire is crap, that just defeats the purpose of the new wire" well maybe you're right but you've just bypassed the other 6 feet of wire, the 1-2 inches used in the harness shouldn't cause the same problem, if it does use quick-disconnect ends and run it into the deck harness.

I don't know if you have ever installed car stereo equipment before, but the one thing that is very important is not to do things like that, and I'll tell you why.

If you install an amp kit, the first thing they tell you, is to use equal gauge wire for both the negative and the positive. why you may ask? if your power cable, is thicker than your ground cable, then you are at risk of causing a fire in your car, because the wire will simply short out, melt the plastic, causing live wires to hit, and kablooey! there goes your fuse, or your car if you have sufficient enough current. most fuses are 60-80AMPS, which is more than enough to start a fire.

same principle here. if the wire starts taking in more current, and you still have a smaller, POS end, that end isn't going to support all that current, it's going to melt, and touch bare metal, and pop your battery, or cause a fire. It's a nice idea, just not a safe one. Do what I did, go to radio shack, and buy pins that you can replace on the wiring harness. that works as well, and you don't have to cut out that one wire all the time from the stereo.

S_chevy
10-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Look I do not claim to know a lot about car audio but like I said I had a crossed wire on my home system and it worked fine at low volumes but when I turned it up it would shut down,

but thanks for explaining it a little better

bh04
10-28-2004, 03:46 PM
I had everything in ym car related to audio (speakers, subs, deck) professionslly installed. And I took it to the place the other day, and they checked all the wires and everything was fine. I took it to an auto shop, and my alternator is bad.

Mangoamerican
10-28-2004, 05:25 PM
thats cool, i had first thought that it was the alternator or the battery, but i was hooked on what diddy said because he had the same problem. but anyways, the whole power wire/ground wire being the same size, its true, you wont get enough current going back if its not the same gauge, and will probually heat up if you have it pounding, or you will get clipping, which would make your deck turn off, (clipping is a sign of the component not getting enough power) which can be because of wire gauge, connection or a bad source

bh04
10-29-2004, 08:15 PM
I have 4 gauge wiring (power, ground). That is all hooked up correctly, as well as the speaker and amp and sub wires. I'm thinking my alternator is bad because when i have my headlights on at night, and i push the brakes to slow down the lights (inside and out) dim and/or flicker. also when my heater is on, and i push the brake to slow down or stop, my heater cuts out and slows down and dont push out much air. finally when im driving at lets say 35mph, and i push the brake to slow down, my speedometer needle stays at that speed until i let off the brake.

diddy0071
10-31-2004, 12:27 AM
if it was the alternator, then the battery wouldn't charge, and the whole car wouldn't start. if you think about it through an electrician's point of view you will understand.

1. lets say the car stereo needs a good 12 volts to run. that's fine and all, but how much current is it needing? Most stereos rarely need more than 5 amperes going to it. Headlights, need about 10 since they are needing to be nice and bright and all. Well, 10 plus 5 equals 15 amperes. A car, especially a cavalier needs a good 450-500 amperes just to get it started. look at your battery. it should say 650 cold cranking amps. this is the normal battery size for your cavalier. IF IT WAS REALLY THE ALTERNATOR, THAT WASN'T CHARGING THE BATTERY RIGHT, do you think your car would start? I THINK NOT!

bottom line, if your car starts, and runs good, then it isn't your alternator. don't believe me? give it a try.

1. turn off your car, and run the headlights and stereo for 5-10 minutes. if your car turns on fine, then it's neither the battery or the alternator's fault.

if, by chance the car doesn't turn on, I would THEN blame it on the battery or alternator. first choice would be alternator, because the battery wasn't fully charged. it the alternator is good, then it's the battery's fault for not charging right.

I hope this shines a light on your mystery. I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but I went to college a few years ago for basic electronics, and my theory is hard to throw away, or maybe i'm hard headed. Not trying to make enemies though, just trying to help out someone.

Mangoamerican
10-31-2004, 12:34 AM
i just thought maybe when your system is hitting, you are grounding something out with the vibration, check your wires to make sure thats not happening. it doesnt make sense that any of the wires have gone bad, because if they went bad, they would BE bad, and your radio wouldnt turn on at all

diddy0071
10-31-2004, 12:37 AM
good point, BUTTTTT, the wires can be bad and continue to pass current.

1. Pinched wires, may be faulty, but may still conduct current as long as it is still intact, but being as it is pinched, it creates more resistance, than regular straight wire.

2. a cut wire, can conduct current, as long as it doesn't hit other metal. If it hits other metal, it can short, or ground itself.

So good point, but it's still more likely to be the wire.

Mangoamerican
10-31-2004, 12:41 AM
if the wire was too thin, it would call for more amperes to run thru it, and as you know, a thin wire makes an excellent fuse..

Mangoamerican
10-31-2004, 12:44 AM
im sticking with the "loose connection" theory

Mangoamerican
10-31-2004, 12:45 AM
i wonder if i will change my stat at 100 posts

diddy0071
10-31-2004, 12:46 AM
if the wire was too thin, it would call for more amperes to run thru it, and as you know, a thin wire makes an excellent fuse..

yeah, and fuses blow out. or burn. plastic melts, and wires are covered in plastic, it could be shorting out somewhere.

Bottom line is this: my car had the wire being bad, and seeing as how I wasn't going to spend 300 dollars for some jerk to rewire the whole stereo connections, I felt it cheaper to run a new wire by myself. It wasn't the alternator for me, and it wasn't my battery, because both were new, as well as the grounding terminal and the power wires. why waste all that money? if your running an amp, run a new wire along side the power cable of the amp, and run it to the memory of the stereo. if the stereo runs fine, without shutting off, then that is the problem.

A loose wire can be the problem too, but like I said, I'm not spending 300 dollars for some jerk to rewire teh whole stereo connectors.

Mangoamerican
10-31-2004, 12:48 AM
yeah, its not too hard to rewire! and if it doesnt work then... well haha, YOU did something wrong!

diddy0071
10-31-2004, 12:51 AM
professionally it is. And that's the point, if I did it myself, and I messed up, I could ruin the whole PCM, which is very very expensive to replace. it's not worth messing up over a stereo. even you would agree with that.

diddy0071
10-31-2004, 12:52 AM
yeah, its not too hard to rewire! and if it doesnt work then... well haha, YOU did something wrong!

rewiring the whole stereo would mean buying new pins straight from the dealer, to replace the pins and wires from the wiring harness, or making a new wiring harness which is kind nice, since you could make your own wiring harness every time you wanted to install a stereo, plus rewiring the speaker wires, and everything.

Mangoamerican
10-31-2004, 12:57 AM
yeah, it would be a pain in the ass wiring a harness. ha, id just use the same harness and replace only the power wires, crimp and solder!

diddy0071
10-31-2004, 01:00 AM
yeah, it would be a pain in the ass wiring a harness. ha, id just use the same harness and replace only the power wires, crimp and solder!

like I said, you'd have to buy new pins from the dealer, or another place, because these pins are hard to find. You can't just pick them up @ the local radio shack, been there done that! you don't need to solder these pins anyways. A good crimp is all you need. And like I said, 1 screwup and you could mess up the PCM. why chance it over a stereo? unless you got the cash to pay someone to rewire it, its not worth it to do yourself. unless you can claim it to your insurance somehow, and make it look like it messed up on itself.

bh04
10-31-2004, 06:21 PM
My car runs fine and starts fine. Its jsut having a problem with the stereo turning off and on again, the heater cutting out and shutting off, and the speedometer gage. As well as the theft system and service light coming on.

Mangoamerican
10-31-2004, 06:23 PM
sounds like an accesory power source, like before your fuse cluster

Mangoamerican
10-31-2004, 06:25 PM
check your switching power lead connections, ground as well

bh04
10-31-2004, 06:27 PM
The other night I drove my friend around and showed him all the problems, and let him drive to see if he noticed anything (he's a mechanic) and when we stopped he popped the hood and listened and said that a bearing or something might be bad in my alternator. I dont wanna sound like all you people helping me are wrong by telling me the wiring in my car is bad or anything, but he said its probably the alternator. My battery cables are all tight and stuff.

Mangoamerican
10-31-2004, 06:46 PM
if your alternator wasnt working right, your battery wouldnt charge right, and your car would die, your radio draws power off of your battery. and or the alternator, they are directly linked

bh04
10-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Can anyone give me step by step instructions on changing and alternator? Kinda sounds like much, but where i live, in town they charge $62 labor/hour. And they said it would take a couple hours because its a serpentine (spelling???) belt system.

FrankBcool
02-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I had the exact same problem with my head unit, it turns out that my cars electrical system couldn't handle everything all at once and at loud volume my stereo just wasn't able to get the power it required to perform so it shut itself off then came right back on again. This was so damn annoying and it was driving me crazy. I finally tried THE BIG 3 UPGRADE and problem solved.

If you don't know what the big 3 upgrade is, it is an upgrade of three very basic wires under the hood and is VERY easy to do...
1. Run a 4 or 0 gauge wire from your engine block straight to your batteries NEG
post.
2. Find a good, solid, metal to metal connection anywhere on the chassis or
body of the car and run another wire of the same gauge as you used in step 1 straight from that point to the batteries NEG post.
3. Run a third wire of the same gauge as you used in step 1 and 2 from the
POSITIVE terminal of the alternator straight to the batteries POS post.

That's all, you have just increased your cars electrical system by approx. 25%

Add your comment to this topic!