Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Re: courtesy lights stay on

bonnyl92
10-25-2004, 10:00 PM
quoting from thread lasted posted in march 2004...

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by markwb
waymaster wrote:
Code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I have to slam the door a few times --------------------------------------------------------------------------------It appears that the door switch(that tells the control module that the door is closed) is on the verge of being defective. That's just a guess.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would agree. Your door switch just provides a ground for the light circuit. Likely the plunger is worn or the spring inside is broken, allowing the switch to find a ground when it shouln't. Those switches are cheap and very easy to change.

I have a '92 bonneville with what sounds like the same problem. Thank you so much for posting the descriptions of problems and solutions so that i may learn what to do .

I first noticed maybe 3 months ago, the interior courtesy lights would randomly come on, always for the ~25 second intervals, while the car was not running. The lights' frequency of clicking on seems to be highest when the car has been running and is still warm, and less frequent when the car has been off for several hours. The courtesy lights never come on when the car is running. One month ago the battery went dead, and I had the headlight switch replaced. Now the lights still come on randomly , but it does seem they come on less often. So I will try the door switch solution. Thank you.

randman1
10-26-2004, 11:19 AM
25 second intervals?... that sounds like the illuminated entry timer. Depending on your trim level and options, if you lift either of the front door handles, a ground signal is sent to the Remote Accessory Control (RAC) module and illuminates the interior lights as well as the little rings around the lock cylinders so you can see where to insert the key. This function is disabled when the ignition is on. I would look towards the door handles first.

Add your comment to this topic!