2002 Blazer front suspension

2doorblazer
10-25-2004, 07:12 PM
I have a 2002 2 door blazer LS. The front end seems to hit bumps harder than normal(road bumps,not off road). Example: Driving over train tracks causes the front end to shake pretty badly. I've been to the dealership and as usual everything is okay by them. Time to go to the experts.......anybody have any ideas? This truck only has 24,000 miles on it and is a highway commuter.

Mikado14
10-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Original tires?

2doorblazer
10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Original factory aluminum rims. Not original rubber though. Currently running General Ameritrack SUV 235/75.

Mikado14
10-25-2004, 08:00 PM
This may sound a little crazy but, if everything checks out fine it could be the tires. You may have them overinflated or it could be the tread giving you a firmer ride.

2doorblazer
10-25-2004, 08:20 PM
I keep the tires at 32 psi. The tires that came with it when I bought it were no name with crappy tread and they road the same as these. This front end shaking over bumps is borderline violent. Any other ideas?

Mikado14
10-25-2004, 08:38 PM
The problem with a forum is that it is completely by language and the sense are not there.

When you say "violent" it concerns me.

Is it strictly that the front end sounds like you hit a pothole?

Can you feel it in the steering wheel?

Does it shimmy when you say "hit the railroad tracks"?

Do you feel anything in the floorboards?

Does the frontend bounce excessively?

Do you feel like the vehicle's rear wants to go sideways?

If all the steering components and the suspension components have been checked, and I will assume by someone reputable and knowledgeable, we have to get a footing. Has an alignment been done?

We could be looking at upper and/or lower A arm bushings, or, body mounts if it looks as if the front end itself is shaking, or, it could be rear tortion mounts.

Are there any driveability problems other than the railroad track bumps?

2doorblazer
10-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Front end sounds like I hit a pothole.
Can feel it in the steering wheel.
Minor shimmy felt hitting railroad tracks.
Do not feel anything in floorboards.
Front end does not bounce abnormally.
Rear end.......not so sure.Will check.
Yes an alignment has been done by the local Chevrolet dealer.
Other driveability problems: Slight vibration at 65, goes away at 70. What do think it could be?

powering
10-26-2004, 09:00 AM
I suggest you do the hinge bolt retainer washer fix posted below. Mine was doing the same and I know you will be skeptical but it is such an easy and cheap fix to try. Mine also had a vibration around 65 mph.

Try it and if it works post that it does so others know.

Mikado14
10-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Front end sounds like I hit a pothole.
Can feel it in the steering wheel.
Minor shimmy felt hitting railroad tracks.
Do not feel anything in floorboards.
Front end does not bounce abnormally.
Rear end.......not so sure.Will check.
Yes an alignment has been done by the local Chevrolet dealer.
Other driveability problems: Slight vibration at 65, goes away at 70. What do think it could be?

One at a time:
Front end sounds like I hit a pothole - This on first glance would have me looking for loose steering and suspension components.

Can feel it in the steering wheel & Minor shimmy felt hitting railroad tracks - If you can feel a shimmy on bumps, I would have the alignment done by someone who specializes in it and it would be a four wheel alignment.

Slight vibration at 65, goes away at 70. - Again, a front end alignment or possible cord seperation on a tire.

You may have a combination of problems. The loud noise upon hitting a bump could be the rear tortion mounts coupled with a much needed alignment. My recommendation would be the front end alignment (four wheel) and have them check the suspension and those rear tortion arm mounts.

BlazerLT
10-26-2004, 05:27 PM
2doorblazer,

Does it clunk or pop when you hit a pothole or go over the tracks?

2doorblazer
10-26-2004, 07:17 PM
No clunk or popping heard. Already did that washer quick fix. Thanks. If I needed an alignment wouldn't my Blazer tend to pull one way or the other? As far as suspension componets go I'm a little out of my league. I've tugged on everything but nothing seems out of the ordinary. What exactly do the torsion arms do? Seems like I'm going back to the dealer to take someone for a test ride. Appreciate every one's input.

BlazerLT
10-26-2004, 07:42 PM
don't go to a dealer, go to a respected local mechanic in your area. It will be cheaper.

Have your tie rods and idler and pitman arms inspected for being loose.

Also, do you have some play in your steering wheel?

2doorblazer
10-26-2004, 07:48 PM
There is some play in the steering wheel above and beyond the usual. Seems like there is a lot to check when it comes to suspension. Anything else that should be looked for?

BlazerLT
10-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Just tightness of the whole setup.

jack up your passenger side front and wiggle the tire right and left and check for play in your tie rods and you pitman and idler arms.

Chances that is your problem.

Also, you are telling me that you have no clunking, knocking or anything when you hit bumps? It is just loose right?

2doorblazer
10-26-2004, 07:57 PM
I have jacked up the truck and wiggled the tires. Nothing out of the ordinary when I did that. When I do hit the right style of bump(dip not raised) the front end shakes. I can feel it in the steering wheel and I do sometimes hear a clunking noise if the bumps are more of a washboard style.

BlazerLT
10-26-2004, 08:01 PM
When you are wiggling the wheel, did you look at the inner tie rods etc for play?

2doorblazer
10-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Yeah, they seemed to be okay but I'm no expert.

BlazerLT
10-26-2004, 08:15 PM
I would have them checked out.

2doorblazer
10-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Will do......thanks for the help.

BlazerLT
10-26-2004, 08:58 PM
No problem.

BTW, a good shop will not charge you for a front end check and have them show you what is wrong and not just tell you at the counter.

sixshuta
11-22-2004, 12:45 PM
No problem.

BTW, a good shop will not charge you for a front end check and have them show you what is wrong and not just tell you at the counter.

HELLO TO ALL
I have the same stinken 65 mph shake. it goes away at 70mph.
Been to several dealers. Nothing is ever wrong according to them.
But I feal it every time I hit 63 64 65 m's ph. Bought new Revos.
Had 2 of them swapped out for thread run off. What's next on the list of Could - bees?
Thanx

BlazerLT
11-22-2004, 02:18 PM
What have you had done?

Tires Balanced?
Alignment?

Add your comment to this topic!