Hard shift transmission fix

SOLSTER
10-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Saw many posts/threads regarding a hard/rough shift in automatic transmissions Thought I'd post my story/fix, hope it helps!

I own a '99 ls 4x4 6 cyl, 59k miles, automatic, and love it!

THE PROBLEM:

All of a sudden near 50k miles, I got a hard transition shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, both in accelertion and decelaration, it felt like a slip with a loud clunk from the transmision which I could feel.

I went to a reliable trans guy, who serviced the trans, expensive, and did not solve the problem. He the suggested the following, and it solved the problem within a mile of driving the truck. and, the problem has not returned in over 8k miles.

THE SOLUTION:

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID PROTECTANT WITH LXE (cost about $9)
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/.../p-3814/c-10102

Worked like a charm! try this before doing anyhing else if the problem sounds similar to mine. I turned out, some parts in the trans needed this as a lubricant. sorry, can't be more technical, just what I remember. But darn glad it worked, had me worried. So happy it worked!

He added it for me, so I don't know what it takes to add it, from memory, it gets pumped into the trans as you would add trans fluid. I do know, the trans is a sealed unit, thus, all fluids are added by an access hole on top of the trans. Probably about 20 minutes of labor for a mechanic, if you did not want to add it yourself.

The cost was minimal, I wish he had done this first, not sure I really needed the trans service, but probably not a bad idea anyways.

would love to her feedback if you or anyone else tries this, and it works out!

Solster!

95.5 Rodeo
10-26-2004, 02:24 AM
Yer link is no good, is this it?-

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-220340/mediaCode-ZX/appId-388547

My transmission shifts hard, especially when cold. Also, when it shifts into overdrive I feel a small shudder then a second later the RPMs drop down. This is after a transmission flush at the dealer. I may try some of this stuff.

It's also available here:

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/find_supplier_us.html

Dale

SOLSTER
10-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Yeah, my link didn't work, odd, I copy/pasted it (obviously).

Your link did work:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-220340/mediaCode-ZX/appId-388547

Either way, google search:
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID PROTECTANT WITH LXE

I don't quarantee it as a solution, I only know it solved my problem within minutes!!!

Would love more feed back on this product, did I just get lucky, or is my trans guy a genius???
Fixed it for me!!! Can't beat a $9 fix!

Keep the feedbck on this one coming, seen a lot of posts on hard shifting trans in this forum.

I wonder if this should be considered an additive on every trans flush/service???

Faze2183
10-26-2004, 04:34 AM
shuddler mostly can be resolved with a fluid change and or if it doenst then check to see if u have any kinda updates from the dealer like ground wires and etc.....call ur local aamco and ask them for if theres any updates they should tell you if not tell me ur make and model and etc and ill call my guys that i know at a aamco and ill let you knows but also the shuddlering could be from a torq converter, and you wanna catch that before it shits out on you and tears up ur trany

Faze2183
10-26-2004, 04:35 AM
and that lubegard does help but it only covers up the issue for the most part and or it does fix it.....just thought id warn you

SOLSTER
10-26-2004, 04:44 AM
PLEASE, as anyone who looks at this thread, realize I am not an expert in cars, let alone trans. The product worked for me, but the real car guys on this forum may/should have important advice that should not be ignored.

But again, this worked for me, and should this product be considered as an addative to a trans service??? I remember the trans guy saying someting like "valves" get stuck, need lube", make sense to anyone out there???

SOLSTER!

SOLSTER
10-26-2004, 04:59 AM
faze2183:
I certainly appreciate you know more than I, and appreciate your words of caution that this may cover up problems. My question, should I worry aftet 8k miles that I am sitting on a problem with a false sense of security based on this product, or am I to have confidence in my problem is resolved, and you are directing your answers to 95.5Rodeo more specifically?

Thanks,
Solster

SOLSTER
11-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Update!

I'm currently at 65K miles. i had the odd shifting, what I descrbed here as hard shifting, once again. Since I had the same problem at 50K miles, I decided to have a flush and new filter, and have them add the lubeguard at the same time.

Oddly, the day it was shifting hard, I wasn't able to take it in. I drove it only 10 miles that day, shifting was bad consistantly. The next day, it was running fine, but I still knew it was time for the flush and filter.

I added it, and it's running fine. I'm still worried I may have a biger issue, but who knows? Maybe it just gets grumpy when it's time for a flush?

My last flush (also the first) was at 50K miles, this one was at 65K miles.

Any thoughts or advice is welcomed!

Happy T-Day!

rodeo02
11-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Solster, you may be aware of this, but during the periods of hard shifting, do the PRND321 dash lights act up at all? Reason I ask is harsh 4L30E shifts are often caused by a bad/dirty range/mode sensor.

Joel

SOLSTER
11-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Solster, you may be aware of this, but during the periods of hard shifting, do the PRND321 dash lights act up at all? Reason I ask is harsh 4L30E shifts are often caused by a bad/dirty range/mode sensor.

Joel

I would say I'm 99% sure they did not. but, I can't say for sure as I didn't know to watch. but, i really don't think so.....

can that part be checked, inspected, or even maybe it's just a good thing to just replace? I'll bookmark this one for future reference. thanks!

KEEP IT COMING!

Ramblin Fever
11-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Boy, you've only put on 6k miles in the last 2yrs?? WOW!

In Oct of '04 you posted you had 59k miles, you now only have 65k 2yrs later? I WISH I could manage to drive my truck that little.

Sounds like the range mode sensor from the get-go.

Definitely get your tranny serviced though, if you've never changed the filter, I would drop the pan, clean it, change the filter and add new fluid. This would only be a partial fluid swap, i.e. 3-4qts, but it would refreshen the majority of the fluid and filter would be new.

Try not to ever go 50k miles again without either a tranny flush or a partial swap - I know the miles add up quick and fast sometimes, but these tranny's generally will fail between 60-80k miles if the fluid has never been changed. Try to stick with 30k at most; 15k is GREAT.

Your range mode sensor is on the drivers side of the bigger transmission pan - looks like a clamshell. I've never personally cleaned mine, though it's been done twice, mine initially acted up at around 65-70k miles - like you, I thought the transmission was failing.

I made quite a wracket with the dealership as I really felt the tranny was going, and although I was out of warranty, they took it in, kept it for a day did a full transmission service (though it had already been done twice by the 70k mile mark), cleaned the range mode sensor and sent me on my way. That truck has shifted BABY smooth from that point on.

It was cleaned again this past summer when a tiny shifter seal in the floor shifter had to be replaced - I now have 164k miles.

Lakeshow23
11-26-2006, 05:53 PM
I had the same problem and it was cured with repeated transmission flushing and cleaning. There was gunk built up in the transmission. After cleaning, it worked like a charm.

SOLSTER
11-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Boy, you've only put on 6k miles in the last 2yrs?? WOW!

In Oct of '04 you posted you had 59k miles, you now only have 65k 2yrs later? I WISH I could manage to drive my truck that little.

Sounds like the range mode sensor from the get-go.

Yup, 2 years and 6K miles - not a lot LOL. I worked from home those years, and enjoyed my convertibles. The RODOE is the workhorse - I'll never sell her.

I did my first flush and filter at 50K, and the second at 65K. I'll keep up on it at least every 15k now or more regularly should I feel it getting grumpy.

I'll also keep an eye on the range sensor.

If anyone ever pulls and services the trans, filter, or range sensor - PLEASE post a how to thread - I'd love to learn more.

thanks!

Ramblin Fever
11-28-2006, 12:42 AM
If anyone ever pulls and services the trans, filter, or range sensor - PLEASE post a how to thread - I'd love to learn more.
thanks!

Plenty of us have done this very thing - there are tons of write ups/threads here on this subject.

abouttowne1
12-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Nice to know others have had the same problem. I purchased my Rodeo used. The week I purchased it the hard shift problem started. My car was out at the dealer for 3 months. They took out the transmission, rear end, u-joints and finally replaced the computer. Now the problem is more intermittent. Every once in a while it occurs. Now since the new computer my car heats up and the fuel guage no longer works. They sent me back to have the computer reprogramed and nothing changed except I get better mileage. Now the warranty is gone. Love the car hate the history since I bought it.:banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!