Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cap and rotor

RKINGII
10-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Got a '95 S10, with 4.3L V6. How do I change the cap and rotor? Do I have to remove the intake manifold to get at those?
Thanks

busa_4
10-25-2004, 03:06 PM
i am not familiar with the 1995 but the cap should be clipped on and the rotor is held in place with some form of screw or just held on by a pressed fit. you should not have to take the intake off. some advise! remove only one plug wire at a time when replacing the cap otherwise if your not familiar with the firing order you might mix up some wires.

dmbrisket 51
10-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Should take off the air intake hose into the multi port, other then that, no no manifold removal

BlazerLT
10-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Got a '95 S10, with 4.3L V6. How do I change the cap and rotor? Do I have to remove the intake manifold to get at those?
Thanks

Do you have the TBI or CPI injection on your truck?

RKINGII
10-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Throttle body. The distributor (horizontal plug wires) is really buried in there. I have a Haynes manual, and the photo (for clarity) they show for cap & rotor has the manifold off. I sure don't want to go thru that.

Mikado14
10-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Get a piece of paper and pen or pencil. Trace the wires from each cylinder to the cap and make a diagram. After you have your diagram, pull all the wires off of the cap. You may also have to unplug a few wires to move a harness out of the way but you will find that the plugs are idiot proofed. This should allow you a little more room to get in there. After the cap has been changed, use your diagram to install the wires.

RKINGII
10-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a plan! Thanks a lot for the reply. That's what I was wondering about, if I had to move a few things to get at it. Diagram is a great idea! Raining out today, so it may be a good time to "git 'er done". I did take the wheels off to get to the spark plugs. Much easier that way. I wouldn't have done that, if I didn't have an air wrench. Thanks again

BlazerLT
10-27-2004, 05:43 PM
What I do is take the new cap and when I remove the wires from the old cap , I put them directly on the appropriate place on the new cap.

Then when you are ready to install the cap, you pop it on, screw it down and you are done.

No mistakes or confusion.

Add your comment to this topic!