Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 J30t

lazermydog
10-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Hello,
This is a great forum. I have 94 J30 with 120,000 miles on it.
Since gas prices are so high, might have to trade my third child for gas,
I was wondering if anyone has "detuned" their J30? Could you put the chip in for a I30 and use regular gas? My car is running ok and seems to get reasonable gas milage on the highway, but high test gas prices
are lousy. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for any information.
Marc

carlos_knology
10-25-2004, 10:46 AM
I don't think that would work. You may end up getting worse gas mileage after doing something like that (if it's even possible).

Bottom line is that you'll still have the same 6 cyl. engine, same injectors, same vehicle weight.

I don't see how swapping some chip would allow you to run regular gas when all the engine internals will remain unchanged.

If you could just swap a chip for more gas mileage without harming anything, Infiniti would have done it from day one.

Just my .02

Carlos

95j30dude
10-31-2004, 04:09 PM
I tried a mid-grade fuel and it ran fairly well.
One thing I didn't understand is that I seemed to get better gas mileage... Strange...

This car is tuned for performance; when I start off the line, it revs up to 3K or more before it shifts up to the next gear. My other cars' shift at a lower rpm.

Underground_Killah
11-01-2004, 12:32 AM
you know, it's better to sell off the middle child... they always become the ruffian...

but on lighter terms...

i use regular and midgrade... with the stp fuel cleaner stuff from walmart and i'm averaging 21 mpg. My car doesn't show any signs of putting out or anything either

infinman
11-02-2004, 05:40 PM
You will not notice much of a drivability change by "burning" regular fuel.What will happen though is you shorten the life of your engine.Not drastically , but enough. Over a long period of time, the cylinders will wear enough that a ridge will form{indicating cylinder wall wear.}Among other things, it doesn't do the catalytic convertor any favours either.

Add your comment to this topic!