Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

i want to turbo my 4.0L

Axe91CVC
10-24-2004, 02:59 AM
i have found a good site on jeep turbos
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/forced_induction.html

has anyone in here done this??

bought my 1997 4.0L a year ago for $9,000
i have a DANA 35 rear end.... and an auto tranny
i put 20" inch rims on it for a while ( was going for the smooth slick, clean look http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/694735 ) so then to get some different opinions i talked to some guys at a few jeep rear end places who said the dana 35 may eventually break due to the 4" inch thick 2 peice adaptors that i was running ......i guess besides for the looks the rims didnt work out.....the adaptors really scared me
......so i sold the rims on ebay 2 weeks ago

i now am running 32.5 X 10 Goodyear MT-R's on some 15 X 8's
raised at the springs with daystar 1 & 1/2" spacers

im looking for a way to get rid of the vibrations and shimmying that happens alot when accelerating from a complete stop or a low speed
after about 20 mph the vibrations kind of calm down

and also im looking for more power ....since i alot of little punks are pulling away from me at the stop lights.....i think its time to put some ricers to shame

so.....i'm thinking maybe a turbo system...i dunno????
anyone got any pros or cons???

is there anything i need to do to the 4.0L motors' internals before i turbo it???

and more importantly....is there anything i need to do to beef up the rear end such as gearing, and maybe drive shafts and U-joints??

i have an auto trans so i dont want to loose any of my top end highway speed by lowering the gear ratios on the rear.....

so im just worried a turbo may be too much power for the stock dana 35 and stock u joints, drive shafts, axles, and maybe the auto trans and the transfer case..........
anybody know anything about this??????
also i've had some vibrations and shimmying going on since i put the 1.5" inch spacers on the springs........heard someone talking about something called a slip yoke eliminator or something like that??

i know this is alot of questions and topics addressed in this thread...any real gear heads out there care to comment?

thanks

fredjacksonsan
10-26-2004, 04:27 PM
I'd start with gear ratios. You've probably got stock 3.07 in there, you could go 3.73 or even 4.11's. Probably 800-1000 per axle, would help you to be quicker and also offroad. Definitely have both done at the same time, or you'll risk blowing up your transfer case.

Anyway, with those 32" tires, don't expect your Jeep to be real quick off the line. As far as the turbo, I think that with the stock driveline turning those big tires you may have some durability problems for sure. If you want to be fast on the street and don't leave the road much, you may want to consider some lower profile tires.

With some 4.11's and 245/50's I think you'll find the 4 liter adequate to spank some of them guys, without the turbo.

But remember that you're able to drive past those little punks when you're going out ON the beach, and if it snows where you live, they'll be stuck at home pouting while you're having some quality Jeep time.

Axe91CVC
10-30-2004, 09:19 PM
i live in central florida where there is alot of recent development and not much open land here anymore
everything is flat and there arent many hills
unless you go about an hour and a half out of your way
also there isnt any snow here.....
i really wish i could use the jeep for what is is intended for...
maybe i should move to a state w/some mountians

fredjacksonsan
11-02-2004, 10:25 AM
There you go! Snow, mountains, mud, etc. Florida's too hot for me anyway. :)

Add your comment to this topic!