Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97-What/Whare in the car is the thing that gets the signal from keyless remote?

happydog500
10-23-2004, 12:10 AM
My Dad got an aftermarket Keyless Remote and programed it to his 1997 buick LeSabre.

I bought the car and got a Factory FOB. It's the right numbers, it checks out at the dealer as working. It just doesn't program to work on my car.

The aftermarket (my valet) works fine, but the GM won't program. What is it, what is it called, and where is it, the thing in the car that recives the signal from the FOB? I may be able to get the GM Remote to work by replacing the thing in the car. Thank you, Chris.

10-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Could be anywhere. The factory diagram for my 95 says it's supposed to be under the forward drivers corner of my trunk. It's not though. I think it's somewhere near there though, because when my remote batteries are low it works better near the trunk. Yours could be under your dash, in the headlinder, in the engine compartment, behind the jack stand, under the drivers electric seat. (Ask me where the door lock relay is at on a 1995 LeSabre.)

10-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Another thought:

As your father bought an aftermarket remote for the car, you might ask him why. After all, it's only a 1997. I'm still using the ones that came with my 1995 (course, I've resorted to taping them closed in the last 6 months).

Anyway, my point is, did he have the vehicle modified in some way. I.e. Added a remote starter, remote window actuator, car alarm, anything like that. If someone lacking a couple clues did the install, they probably cut out the factory reciever. After all, you did not need that antenna any more because you got new FOBs with the kit. The kit they were installing came with an antenna, and of course it's absolutely necessary to use all the wires that came with it.

Note my sarcasm. On more than one occation, I've spent many hours under the dash of a girls vehicle rewiring what some idiot did because the one page instruction sheet said so. -- In all instances, I end up reconnecting the original wires to their factory locations, even if it means the aftermarket accessory no longer works.

(For example. Security alarm install. They used a base system designed for a car without a fuel pump lock out and such. Then Cut and spliced into the factory fuel pump wires with the alarm relays. Result. Once in a while the alarm re-arm itself after the engine was started. She'd be backing out a parking space and the car would die. Basically just had to come back a couple hours later after the alarm had gone out of fault mode to start the car. Prompting me to get out tools and rip the dash apart while I was waiting.)

happydog500
10-23-2004, 10:40 PM
My dad bought the car brand new. He said the remote (your valet) came with the car. I told him it was not factory, he got mad and said these are the original that came with the car. Not sure what's going on.
Is there a name for what I'm looking for? I went to the library and looked at the GM service manule for my car. I couldn't find anyting on what I was looking for. Might help to know the name they call it. Thanks for responding.
PS. He hasn't modifide it in any way. No alarm, no remote starting, etc..

10-24-2004, 06:55 AM
The factory service manual I have (1995 Century) refers to the unit as the Remote Door Lock Reciever. It is the body mounted component of the Keyless Entry system, which is detailed the last section of the Accessories chapter of Book 1 (Section 9K in the manual for this particular model.)

From most of the reading I've done on the keyless entry systems, I only know of two locations they mount the recievers. In the trunk, usually on, near, or above one of the wheel wells. Or in the passenger compartment near the drivers legs, either above the steering column on the firewall or mounted to the side wall.

Should be a black platic box 3x4x6 inches or so, with a couple similar connectors going into one side. Might say "RF reciever" or "Keyless entry reciever" on it, and might even have an antenna wire coming out the back side. Along with any labeling, you should find numbers similar to those on one of the remotes... i.e. the FCC licensed frequency and such.

I've also heard of many different ways the keyless entry systems can be programmed. The assumption is with shorting of pins on the OBD connector, but since it's an OBD standardized connected, they seem to be moving away from that. (Thank god, how archaic can you get, shoving a paper clip to short two terminals connected to the computer controlling your $40k car.)

I've seen instructions that say to short the pins on a connector near the RF reciever module. Instructions refering to a single wire connector taped to the FM radio mast that you short to the antenna ground point. And starting around 1997, things like holding the unlock button on the door while sliding the key in and out of the ignition 3 times. That's Oldsmobile though, Buick is going with turning the ignition from LOCK to RUN 3 times and then chiming.

I swear, I just wanta touch screen interface built in. At least then I'd know what was wrong with my Air Bag DERM. I refuse to buy a $500 tool to read air bag troublecodes though, and I refuse to pay $50 to have someone read them for me. I want to be the one pushing the buttons for $50! But no, instead, I have a sticky note on my dash to hide the Air Bag light.

Anyway, on an almost relevant note. The 1994(late)-1995 Buick LeSabre has a 16-pin OBD-style connector, but it doesn't actually perform any OBD-II function. In reality, it is the GM ALDL 12-pin connector, but with 6 wires instead of 8, and no one has any idea what wire does what. The only thing it does IS program the remotes. No scan tool can read it, because it is non-standard and only existed for like a year. So no one made an adapter or anything... I guess you're supposed to go to the junk yard and make your own. That is if I had the $1200 GM Tech 1 with Air Bag SDM extended module. ROFL

ponchonutty
10-24-2004, 08:14 AM
I would bet that the car didn't have keyless from the factory. Check your VIN at the dealer to see. I do keyless entries for dealers all the time. I use DEI's private line called Automate versus the Valet unit. You can always get another Valet remote fob you know.

ponchonutty
10-24-2004, 08:19 AM
My Dad got an aftermarket Keyless Remote and programed it to his 1997 buick LeSabre.

I bought the car and got a Factory FOB. It's the right numbers, it checks out at the dealer as working. It just doesn't program to work on my car.

The aftermarket (my valet) works fine, but the GM won't program. What is it, what is it called, and where is it, the thing in the car that recives the signal from the FOB? I may be able to get the GM Remote to work by replacing the thing in the car. Thank you, Chris.
Oh, to answer this.... More than likely the installer of the Valet unit used the power lock wires in the driver's kick. Just look under there for wires that look like they are not OEM looking. You should be able to trace it back to a module a little bigger than a box of cigarettes. It should say Valet or DEI on it somewhere. DEI has many brands so it could be almost anything. Also, there is no way a GM remote can be taught to work with this DEI reciever. :banghead:

happydog500
10-24-2004, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Also, there is no way a GM remote can be taught to work with this DEI reciever.[/QUOTE]
If it won't work, I want to put in a GM Reciver. I can hardly find anything on the internet. Lots of Remotes, but no Remote Recivers.
Would I just unplug the old one and plug in a GM Reciver? Chris.

happydog500
11-04-2004, 09:39 PM
bump.

Add your comment to this topic!