Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mustang Boss: My first T-shirt Design

asaenz
10-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Wut up Artists

Been a while for me. I have been doing lots mostly learning new programs and software. I have a few sketches on the drawing pad, but most of my time has been spent learning PS and AI. Many thanks to Lemorris for posting links, tuts, and tips. Thanks also to Bonzelite because he gave me the idea to work from models. This car was rendered from a 1:24 revell model. I glued it together, no paint no nothing did it in about 1 hr. I should post the model in the modeling forum. :)

Here is my first design. It will just be line art (black ink on colored t-shirt). It is not perfect but looks pretty good for my first AI pen tool work. I am pleased w/ it. I still have to add rims. The car is designed as by the customer's request (fluted pipes and blower). The t-shirt will have some text, but I an not doing that part my buddy is. Nope not making any money just doing this for my friend :)

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/35634stang_test2-med.jpg

Need some help
Does anyone have any recommendations for rendering the grill? Mine is a little off. I basically used the pen tool to make a skewed rectangle and filled it w/ black and then copy/pasted/positioned the shapes. My big problem is getting them to line up nicely to form the grill.

Thank you very much for checking it out.

Take care

al

lemorris
10-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Use the blend tool to blend the shapes of the grill along a path.

Or better yet make the rows of the grill straight, and then use the shape of the grill area as a mask. Group after masked and then skew and rotate into place.

Masking will change your world.

The line work looks great! Remember if you plan on adding tones having a base to select from will help a lot.

Where are the wheels?

Oh back to that blend thing. You can blend white lines at say 4pt horizontally and vertically over a black rectangle. Group then get your grill shape and mask that as well. Kind of a combo of the 2 things I mentioned earlier.

Nice work.

-Lemorris

Mshkttck
10-23-2004, 06:48 AM
how will the doors open?

Ran
10-23-2004, 07:09 AM
Nice design!

how will the doors open?

They won't:evillol: You just climb out from the windows :naughty:

ww667
10-23-2004, 07:11 AM
he he god question about the doors but hei it is not a design for real car ;)
it is a t-shirt grahic. You can go wild bit.

Good job on the graphic as well.

mike@af
10-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Looks good Al. Now you are going to build that model right?

Mshkttck
10-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Nice design!

They won't:evillol: You just climb out from the windows :naughty:

In that case, shave the handles and doorlines!

BTW the part in front of the blower on the hood looks akwards (sp?).

bonzelite
10-23-2004, 04:45 PM
great work, al. good to see another digital pioneer.
you guys are raising the bar.

HighOctaneNOSUser
10-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Hey, how about another T-shirt for your buddy over here? Lol, jk, but great rendering!

Jeep_Rubicon
10-23-2004, 05:50 PM
looks good to me...so far

stuffbyalex
10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
cool stuff Al. good luck on the rendering.

Btw, since the door wouldn't open normally, you could design the first camaro w/ vertical doors... or not

Alex

asaenz
10-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Hee hee, good one on the door :) I am not a fan of those pipes but my friend wants them.

I could try to move them further towards the back and shrink the size of them. Anyway, I am so tired. This was a huge deal for me. I still have to fix the grill but I think it is pretty much done (rest of the car).

Thx Lemorris for the grill tips. I will try them, or I may just go simple and make parallel grill bars only.

You guys take care. I have another sketch in the works. It will be a Pitt Viper blended somewhat but not total realism.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/35634mad_boss2.jpg

Thx
Al

ww667
10-24-2004, 06:17 AM
awsome work men.
keep us updated on that Viper.

Zwofurti
10-24-2004, 08:47 AM
nice al, u have to show that viper!

asaenz
10-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Welp, all done

Da----ang this digital art stuff takes a long time.
Lemorris how long do you spend on one of your colored works?

I changed the grill. I took the lazy man's route on that and just did the parallel bar grill. It is finished. I tweaked the perspective on the blower and messed with a few other things. I have to stop my wife is about to kill me. :)

Oh, the car was inspired by Mad Max's Interceptor. My friend is a huge Mad Max fan. I added NASCAR style rims and of course the Interceptor's blower and side pipes.

Did you know Max's blower setup really existed and was used on drag cars? It is also fuel-injected blower not a carb.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/356340mad_boss_fin.jpg

Not that anyone cares. :)

Take care.

Al

No replacement for displacement AND force induction.

lemorris
10-24-2004, 04:41 PM
time...hmmm good question.

It has been my experience that $$ makes it happen. Since I'm new to all digital myself and I don't have to do it at all I waste time experimenting. The Alaska guys are ready to pay so I'll render 3 cars and the design elements by Tuesday night. (gotta eat).

Jeri Clow does 2 to 3 designs a week.

I believe once you get a good working method in place it will go much much faster for you.

Enjoy the pain of learning, that's where all the growth is.

I like the other grill, but I understand why you did what you did.

are you gonna add tones?

asaenz
10-24-2004, 06:46 PM
I believe once you get a good working method in place it will go much much faster for you.

Enjoy the pain of learning, that's where all the growth is.

I like the other grill, but I understand why you did what you did.

are you gonna add tones?

Well, I was thinking about adding some tone, but I have no idea how to begin. I will have to read your threads again. I am getting the hang of using short cuts those save a lot of time.

The design is finished except for fonts, my buddy will add those. The car will just be line art w/ black ink on colored T-shirt (dark orange I think).

I still cannot believe I got over the hump w/ the pen tool. That is enough to drive someone crazy. Adobe ILL. is hard to learn on your own w/ a book. This has been a huge accomplishment for me. I am very excited and my confidence is building w/ the program.

I think I will try an anime style car first (as far as coloring). I have so much work to get done. I have the S15, neighbor's stang (thorn in my butt) and this Viper (almost done).

I am going to go back and do the grill using your method and make it look more stock. I just didn't have the time to figure out some of those commands. I just know pen tool, selection arrows, and scissors (C). You won't believe for short cuts I thought I was suppose to use the shift key for P but P is just "p", I almost PMed you...hee hee hee. My book kept showing P so I naturaly kept trying shift "p". I actually went back to using the stupid mouse to select tools. Now I am straight.

al

Jeep_Rubicon
10-24-2004, 07:15 PM
looks great too me, cant wait too see the other cars.

xyfalconsrock
10-25-2004, 05:24 AM
looks beautiful

GirlBear
10-25-2004, 02:37 PM
man!!! that is super dooper!! lol. looks fantastic. very nice!!!

haha1234
10-28-2004, 04:32 PM
it looks like the blower is a little off center, its more left, and the rleft side of the interior looks a little blank unless its a drag car.....looks really good though

asaenz
10-31-2004, 01:26 AM
it looks like the blower is a little off center, its more left, and the rleft side of the interior looks a little blank unless its a drag car.....looks really good though

You might be correct on that blower, but the interior was designed on purpose like that. You know what bothers me about this car is the oil pan at the bottom. I should have made it dark w/ little highlight to indicate lines. Having that big white thing is distracting. I could change that in a few clicks, ah am I am realizing the beauty of software art. :)

Thx Bear, Falcon, Haha, Jeap.

al

Add your comment to this topic!