1999 S10, 4.3 Fan Clutch Removal!! Help Please

zzr7ky
10-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Hi - I'm trying to replace a failed Water Pump. I have the tool to remove the fan clutch asm from the threaded portion of the water pump. However, the nut is stuck on hard enought that the belt tension will not allow the fan clutch to be removed.

Is there a better way to secure this. I'm letting it soak today with Kroil. I did warm it a wee bit yesterday. Tonight it needs to come off.

The Chilton manual isn't much help in this.
Thanks,
Mike

Fireplug
10-21-2004, 09:51 AM
If I remember I think it has left hand threads. clock wise to remove.

zzr7ky
10-21-2004, 09:57 AM
If I remember I think it has left hand threads. counter clock wise to remove.

Wow!

I'll be a bit embarassed if that's the case. I did look at the threaded section on the new water pump but I could have 'seen' what I was expecting - RH threads. I'll look closer tonight.
Mike

zzr7ky
10-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Hi - It is a standard thread. I ended up backing out one of the bolts to the water pump pullyabout 3/8ths" and then put my 1/2" open end on the next bolt. Slipped a pipe over the wrench as it bore against the backed out bolt. This stopped the waterpump from turning. Came right off.
One hour job it done correctly!
Mike P

davydawg
10-29-2004, 04:08 AM
i could not get mine off, so i removed the water pump with the fan still on, smashed the old water pump, then put it in a vise, then i was able to get it off. the threads were all rusty. i had to remove radiator too. which was nice because there was a lot of crap blocking my air flow

Add your comment to this topic!