Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ARP HEAD BOLTS AND STUDS>> WHATEVER THEY ARE

99EletronblueSI
10-20-2004, 05:31 PM
How the heck does Arp bolts come off the head???JUst Last week I got a b18c1 block with a b16 head and it ARP bolts ... When I took off the cams to take off the head ...I saw a allen wrench nut! where the head bolts are.. I thought what its was going to be easy.. So I got an allen wrench and try to twist it..but it was so hard..I also use a torc wrench with the allen still come off , I forced that it strip the allen nut.. Can someone tell step by step , or do I need a special tool for that..?

civickiller
10-21-2004, 03:48 AM
why are you taking off the head studs anyways ? for head bolts, arp uses studs and a nut goes on the stud. you shouldnt be taking off the stud just the nut.

99EletronblueSI
10-21-2004, 07:51 AM
why are you taking off the head studs anyways ? for head bolts, arp uses studs and a nut goes on the stud. you shouldnt be taking off the stud just the nut.

But how can you take off the nut? because whe need to use a allen wrench for the nut.. I use it but I strip the nut?? :mad: :mad:

civickiller
10-21-2004, 07:59 AM
i know the stud itself has a allen so you can put it in tight but ive never seen the nut with an allen head before. put a pic up of it

civickiller
10-21-2004, 08:09 AM
k wait i got confused after rereading yoru post, do you have the stud type kit or do you have the bolt type kit ?

99EletronblueSI
10-21-2004, 09:15 AM
k wait i got confused after rereading yoru post, do you have the stud type kit or do you have the bolt type kit ?

mY BAD BRO //// THE STUD it self has it allen wrecnh that what i srtip ....how does that dumd thing comes out?

civickiller
10-21-2004, 09:54 PM
ok but first, why are you trying to take out the stud ? if you want to take off the head, just take off the nut and leave the stud in there.

if you in fact do want to take off the stud and you stripped the allen socket. pull hte head off, which should expose the center which should be smooth metal. put a vice grip to that and see if you can turn the stud that way

99EletronblueSI
10-22-2004, 10:14 AM
ok but first, why are you trying to take out the stud ? if you want to take off the head, just take off the nut and leave the stud in there.

if you in fact do want to take off the stud and you stripped the allen socket. pull hte head off, which should expose the center which should be smooth metal. put a vice grip to that and see if you can turn the stud that way

Thats wierd I cant pull out the nut of the stud because none of the long sockets fits there. Is it a specail tool or just regular socket?

silky4u
10-23-2004, 04:05 AM
The allen wrench thing that you are talking about is usually a system of locking the stud into the block, it wont go anywhere no matter how hard you turn.

99EletronblueSI
10-23-2004, 10:01 AM
The allen wrench thing that you are talking about is usually a system of locking the stud into the block, it wont go anywhere no matter how hard you turn.

Okay but how the heck it unlocks ...because it hads a bolt pattern that i never seen before ?

cvcc_wagon
10-23-2004, 12:57 PM
maybe the nut is a 12 point design so you would need a 12 point socket which are pretty common.

99EletronblueSI
10-24-2004, 12:05 AM
maybe the nut is a 12 point design so you would need a 12 point socket which are pretty common.

Thanks MAn Where can I purchase one of those? ....I try look for it at any auto parts store... :iceslolan
:rofl:

:)

:grinno:

99EletronblueSI
10-24-2004, 12:07 AM
Can I find one at any auto parts store?

cvcc_wagon
10-24-2004, 02:05 PM
most all sockets these days are 12 point, they work with normal 6 point bolts but become a problem with high torque as they often round off the corners (look at the closed end of a wrench, same idea) you can go to sears if you like. everyone sells them

civickiller
10-24-2004, 09:16 PM
any autoparts store should carry 12 point sockets, yeah a few bolts on your engine are 12 point bolts, flywheel, pressure plate, rods caps. those are the only ones i found when i took apart my ls motor

Eddiebx
11-01-2004, 11:05 AM
yeah dood, ur gonna need a 12-pt, and it will come right off.

Add your comment to this topic!