Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new Timing Belt for the 2.2 Liter DOHC

BamaRodeo
10-20-2004, 11:25 AM
The Owner's Manual says to have the timing belt changed at 60k. For those of you who currently own a Rodeo, what do you say? It was suggested I replace it at 40K by someone on this forum. I ask, why do you suggest that? Personal experience, or you work for a dealer? (no disrespect intended)
btw- as for the valve cover gasket problem. I took it to the dealer to inspect, and replace. Perhaps I've bought myself some more time, although I just paid someone's college tuition for one semester.
THANKS!

rodeo02
10-20-2004, 12:56 PM
I don't work for a dealership, nor do I even work on cars for a living. I have been hanging around the various 'zu sites since about 2001. Long enough to learn that the 1998+ rodeo 2.2L's have been known to chew up & spit out timing belts as early as 40K miles. Subsequently, being an interference engine, the pistons will hit the intake valves, trashing the valves & associated hardware. Just trying to forewarn you, as a t-belt replacement is way cheaper than a cylinder head rework. Not too many 2.2L owners post in these forums.

G/luck
Joel

BamaRodeo
10-20-2004, 02:00 PM
I appreciate the input Joel. I guess I'll be the one 2.2L owner who will 'represent' on this forum. After rechecking my maintenance records, I had my timing belt and tensioner replaced at 21k due to the recall. I'm wondering out loud, how many miles should I put on it before changing it AGAIN. Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!