Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

go stuck in a flood and engine stalled

integdummy
10-19-2004, 07:41 PM
my engine stalled while driving through a flooded street. I had to get out and push my car, which is lowered out of the water and into a driveway. I drove about 100 feet through the flood. I took it to a mechanic and he said the engines gone, and i need to replace it. He said that it costs 2800 to install a new engine..Im fucked, has anyone gone through the same experience as me? Has anyone ever gotten water in the engine through the oil filter, and got the engine to start again? I know little about cars and i dont know if the mechanic is trying to rip me off or not. Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks..

-integdummy... :loser: :loser: :loser: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DjMasaker
10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
what kind of intake do you have? If you did get water in the negine and tried to drive it after that, yes the car is done. There is a possibility of saving it, but depending on how long you waited to try to get it dried out is the deciding factor.

integdummy
10-19-2004, 08:07 PM
I drove through the water until it stalled, i have a K&N oil filter..After it got stuck in the water, we immediately pushed it into a drive way, it stayed in the driveway for about 2 hours, then we had it towed to a mechanic....He said something about the engine not moving when he tried to start it from the inside..he also said that the computer has to be replaced as well...How long does the water have to stay in the engine until the engines gone??

integralover
10-19-2004, 08:25 PM
when water gets into the engine it is DONE. a rebuild has to take place or a new engine. a used engine with low miles is alot cheaper. but it really doe not matter how long or short the water was in your engine. we call this a hydrolock. meaning water lock. congrats you have the biggest paper weight.

just for starters our cars are not SUV's therefore we cannot treat them like it. if you have a cold air intake DO NOT even think of driving in water that looks a foot deep. water and oil do not mix.

integdummy
10-19-2004, 08:33 PM
is it worth replacing the engine?how reliable is a replaced engine?

integralover
10-19-2004, 08:53 PM
how much did you like your car? i have replaced my engine. i find it very reliable. plus i have a bigger engine in my car now. you can find them online with like 30-40k miles on them. and can cost anywhere from $650-$1,000. i love my car that is why i replaced the engine. but i did it myself so i saved some serious loot. if you have a friend that can help you that would help alot.

CivicSpoon
10-19-2004, 09:12 PM
You don't need a new computer, that's bullshiznit. Unless the water was actually inside the car deep enough to cover an inch or more on the passenger side, then the mechanic is full of it. I could see fuses if some wires got soaked and shorted out but not the ECU.

integdummy
10-19-2004, 09:39 PM
It was more than an inch on the passenger side, the car stalled and started filling with water, the whole city looked like it was sinking, i thought i was going to drown.he said he could get a new engine for around 750, but with labor hes saying around 2700. The power doors locks, and window were working fine, but the windshield wipers wouldnt turn off.

travagliante
10-19-2004, 09:43 PM
hydrolocked!!!!!!!!!

or at least im like 99% positve thats what happened unless for some reason it blew out all the fuses and killed the car before water got in it....

remember its not a integras not a bigfoot truck that goes through water..

oh and water doesnt compress like gas..

what kind of engine do you have? Im selling a compleate b18a1 integra swap from a 90 rs. if your interested but dont know what you have!

integdummy
10-19-2004, 10:14 PM
i have a 98 LS

LSfrankinside
10-19-2004, 10:28 PM
when water gets into the engine it is DONE. a rebuild has to take place or a new engine. a used engine with low miles is alot cheaper. but it really doe not matter how long or short the water was in your engine. we call this a hydrolock. meaning water lock. congrats you have the biggest paper weight.

just for starters our cars are not SUV's therefore we cannot treat them like it. if you have a cold air intake DO NOT even think of driving in water that looks a foot deep. water and oil do not mix.
Nonsense. It depends on how dirty your water is. I occasionally hook a hose up to my intake and flush the engine (while running) with good clean water to wash out the inside. if your car runs still its fine. its probably cleaner now.

integralover
10-20-2004, 12:02 AM
do not listen to this guy LSfrank he is a troll and will be dealt with.

Technical_Automan
10-20-2004, 12:04 PM
My reply, Ready? Here goes:

You need a new engine, get it on Ebay or from a junkyard. DO NOT spend over $1000 on this or you payed far too much and got ripped off (Unless you want VTEC). Used engines reliability depends entirely on what type of engine, mileage, and how it was treated. I had a used engine in my Integra and never had a problem with it (and beat the sh*t out of it daily). It's a Honda engine and will last to 200k with no sweat, but go for around 50-60k miles on it. There are many shops that do engine swaps for $100-$200. Also, the next time there's a flood, you're gonna wanna not drive through it. :banghead:

travagliante
10-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Nonsense. It depends on how dirty your water is. I occasionally hook a hose up to my intake and flush the engine (while running) with good clean water to wash out the inside. if your car runs still its fine. its probably cleaner now.

OMG at first i thought this was a joke....but then saw he was banned...

Mannyb18b
10-20-2004, 03:36 PM
I doubt it was the oil filter. You were probly deep enough to get your intake under water and hydro locked. (dumb). So basically your mech. is right, but you could also probly do an extensive rebuild. What were you thinking though? i suggest learn a little about cars before drivin a teg into deep water

rushb18
10-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Here is a link to a damn good motor with 36 k on it and cheap for everything with it and its a 99ls motor so have at it..Also nice job for going swiming lol...Later and goodluck

http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46859

integdummy
10-21-2004, 08:10 PM
hey i sent you an e-mail about the engine.I am srill looking for one

gsr916
10-21-2004, 10:40 PM
My reply, Ready? Here goes:

You need a new engine, get it on Ebay or from a junkyard. DO NOT spend over $1000 on this or you payed far too much and got ripped off (Unless you want VTEC). Used engines reliability depends entirely on what type of engine, mileage, and how it was treated. I had a used engine in my Integra and never had a problem with it (and beat the sh*t out of it daily). It's a Honda engine and will last to 200k with no sweat, but go for around 50-60k miles on it. There are many shops that do engine swaps for $100-$200. Also, the next time there's a flood, you're gonna wanna not drive through it. :banghead:
$100 for a swap? u sure?

Technical_Automan
10-22-2004, 11:33 AM
yep, around here at least, there's a few places that do only engine swaps, so it's cheap.

Mannyb18b
10-22-2004, 12:45 PM
gsr916, got your PM but 4 some reason i cant send one back. Real names Manny ne wayz

97integrals
10-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Do you have full coverage on the car? this happend to me about a year ago I took of the performance intake and put the stock back on and My insurance bought me a new engine and had the acura dealership install it.

dmfnded
10-28-2004, 05:58 PM
don't feel bad-i did the same thing.bent at least one rod i can hear.starts and runs fine-never overheats,but just has that dang knock!

integralover
10-28-2004, 07:59 PM
don't feel bad-i did the same thing.bent at least one rod i can hear.starts and runs fine-never overheats,but just has that dang knock!
so you are saying that you are driving around with a bent rod?

Add your comment to this topic!