Supercharged Turbo Vq35de?

iijrzpnoyii
10-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Is It Possible To Supercharge And Turbo The Vq35de? When I Look At The Engine Bay It Looks Like Theres Room For Both A Turbo And Supercharger With Custom Piping. Have Both The Supercharger And Turbo Feed Into The Same Intercooler And From The Intercooler Blow Into A Single Pipe Into The Intake System. What Do You Guys Think? With Both Systems Youll Have Power Throughtout The Whole Rpm Range.

VQuick
10-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Twincharging is a waste of money and time. With a properly sized turbo, you will have a very balanced powerband.

1viadrft
10-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Hey! How ya doin' VQuick! Long-time no-see!

Twincharging is just an oddity... stick it out with a conventinal turbo or SC kit!

iijrzpnoyii
10-19-2004, 07:59 PM
but wouldnt it be better if you had both? while your waiting for the turbo to spool, you have the supercharger in the lower end for power. it will also cause faster spooling of the turbo and have both working at the same time.

Amril
10-20-2004, 09:15 AM
a properly refined turbo system will have little lag and once the turbo has spooled up all the supercharger will be is additional weight and a power robber.

And Do You Have To Have Every Word Begin With Capitals? It's Not Proper English Ya Know?

iijrzpnoyii
10-20-2004, 09:19 AM
a properly refined turbo system will have little lag and once the turbo has spooled up all the supercharger will be is additional weight and a power robber.

And Do You Have To Have Every Word Begin With Capitals? It's Not Proper English Ya Know?

first of all, The Forum Made Every Word Begin With Capitals not me

how will the supercharger rob power? theyll both be blowing into the same intercooler. also the bigger the turbo the longer it will take to spool but it comes with a bang. so why wait and have no power if you can have a supercharger supply the power until the turbo is at its max.

VQuick
10-20-2004, 09:56 AM
how will the supercharger rob power?

Superchargers run off of a pulley driven by the engine. It takes power from the engine to run that pulley. The supercharger effectively takes away power before it gives power. That's called parasitic drag.

also the bigger the turbo the longer it will take to spool but it comes with a bang.

That's why you don't get a 'big' turbo. With the new technology(ball bearing cartridges, variable nozzles, etc) available, you can get a bigger turbo than you would in the past, and have the same spool rate if not better.

so why wait and have no power if you can have a supercharger supply the power until the turbo is at its max.

Because you still haven't explained how to turn the supercharger off once the turbo spools, so that you don't have 50psi running through your engine for 10 seconds before it blows. :lol:

otter7467
10-20-2004, 04:06 PM
it just seems like a waste. plus if it was a great idea there would have been a race or supercar made with that setup already.

VQuick
10-20-2004, 04:38 PM
it just seems like a waste. plus if it was a great idea there would have been a race or supercar made with that setup already.

There were a few race cars that used it. I think one of them was a Group B rally car...but we all know the problems with them.

If you are going to be running such a big turbo, just use nitrous to aid spool-up. It's much easier to do, costs far less, and you can program the nitrous to switch off after the turbo spools. You can't 'program' anything on a supercharger.

350G
10-20-2004, 06:33 PM
Save the money and get a sleeved block capable of holding over 700whp . . . combine that with a reputable TT system and you now have a powerful car . . . and no traction!

Amril
10-21-2004, 09:17 AM
first of all, The Forum Made Every Word Begin With Capitals not me

Is It Possible To Supercharge And Turbo The Vq35de? When I Look At The Engine Bay It Looks Like Theres Room For Both A Turbo And Supercharger With Custom Piping. Have Both The Supercharger And Turbo Feed Into The Same Intercooler And From The Intercooler Blow Into A Single Pipe Into The Intake System. What Do You Guys Think? With Both Systems Youll Have Power Throughtout The Whole Rpm Range.

I rest my case.

Also once the turbo spools up the supercharger will be useless BUT it will still be attached to the crankshaft which will cause it to rob power. Superchargers do it normally but they give more than they take

350G
10-22-2004, 12:21 AM
. . . besides, I really don't see it fitting . . . doing the TT was cramped enough and you have to relocate a few items just for it to fit.

Zgringo
10-23-2004, 01:01 AM
It seems like I go into this question everyother week or so, and being I have been involved in both for many years, both as a user in racing and as a researcher for Pratt & Whitney after doing much testing at the Uni. of Utah on this very subject, I figure I can add some input to this subject with the open mind as neather is best, both have good points and bad. Now their's some who like the turbo's more, which is OK, but most have false ideas about which is best and I'll try and clear that up. This I promise you, I well not get into any pissing contest with anyone who cannot back up what they say.
In the past the roots supercharger pretty much went unchanged and most engineering studies went into turbocharging, as the results turbo's are where they are today. But lately engineer's have been doing alot of research with screw type superchargers and are developing some really good systems as can be seen on more and more cars with superchargers. So which one is really best? Depends on how you use it, and how it's installed.
Now don't tell me that turbo's make power for free cause they use wasted exhaust gas, and superchargers use lots of power from the crank cause I'll prove you wrong and you'll eat your words, if your honest.
Read the following with a open mind and then lets dig into the meat of the turbo vs supercharger.
If you want well do this in 2 parts, the 2nd part being to remove the myth that a low compression turbo'd engine makes more power than a high compression engine, and this I promise you when were done with this subject you'll be able to speak with authorty with facts. Fair enough?

http://www.chimera.co.nz/300zx/
http://www.superchargeronline.com/content.asp?ID=19
http://interjunction.com/features/supercharging/

Amril
10-24-2004, 09:17 AM
this isn't us saying turbo's are better than superchargers it's just us saying both under the hood is a stupid idea

Zgringo
10-24-2004, 01:45 PM
this isn't us saying turbo's are better than superchargers it's just us saying both under the hood is a stupid idea

It isn't a stupid idea. It was used on semi trucks, airplanes and a few race cars, it's just a different idea. Personally I don't think very pratical, but different.

Amril
10-29-2004, 09:44 AM
I highly doubt they had both on aeroplanes. I can assure you they had one or the other cause I'm a complete plane nut

JETmn
11-10-2004, 07:32 PM
So which one is really best? Depends on how you use it, and how it's installed.
Now don't tell me that turbo's make power for free cause they use wasted exhaust gas, and superchargers use lots of power from the crank cause I'll prove you wrong and you'll eat your words, if your honest.
Read the following with a open mind and then lets dig into the meat of the turbo vs supercharger.
If you want well do this in 2 parts, the 2nd part being to remove the myth that a low compression turbo'd engine makes more power than a high compression engine, and this I promise you when were done with this subject you'll be able to speak with authorty with facts. Fair enough?

http://www.chimera.co.nz/300zx/
http://www.superchargeronline.com/content.asp?ID=19
http://interjunction.com/features/supercharging/

I tend to agree with you. Both turbo's and superchargers have their strong points. A turbo in the end will make more HP than a supercharger will. Turbo's are more efficient that supercharges also. You get better MPG with a turbo becuase it isn't always spooled, especially cruising down the highway.

Those guys on superchargeronline don't know squat about turbo's either. They say the wastegate opens to limit the RPM of the turbo, that is not true. The wastegate opens to limit boost (they also say that, but say the RPM limiting twice).

They also say that you will get a surge when the wastegate opens, more BS. The surge you get is from the turbo spooling up, not anything to do with the wastegate.

Pretty much the rest of what they say is right, but they make it sound like a turbo is a niche market. Just look at the number of turbo'd stock vehicles compared to supercharged ones.

I also disagree with you saying that a low compression engine will not make more HP than a high compression engine. I would lke to hear your version first though :D

Let's keep this to an intellectual conversation, not a pissing match with name calling and such. I am very open to other ideas and I have a lot of experience with turbo's.

hank_4g63t
01-19-2005, 12:06 PM
The wastegate does limit turbine rpm.The wastegate opens lets exhaust escape to the downpipe as opposed to entering the turbo. Less Exhaust = Less Turbine RPM = Less Boost.

nissan350ztt
05-12-2005, 02:36 AM
You want to spend $3k to make up for 2000rpms? Eh, not worth it. Especially tuning each of them and properly setting them up.

immortalacm
08-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Wow I think its a slammin idea man.. GO ahead, Supercharge and Turbo and your right the power from the supercharger will help in the low end. My question is tho how to stop that infomous parasitic drag... How bout run the Supercharger off an electric motor instead of off the crankshaft.. hmmm.. possible. Or instead of that try running the Turbo in to the intercooler and then through a twinscrew supercharger into the intake plenum. using the intercooler for just the turbo compressed air will allow the tempetures to drop enough for the supercharger, you can even use a water, methanol mix injected right before the intake plenum to cool the intake air cuz we all know that cooler air makes more power. All in all the slight loss of power from parasitic drag will be so minimal that it will be unoticable. anyway good luck on that

Add your comment to this topic!