Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

S-10 ignition switch

tech1515
10-19-2004, 01:49 PM
I drive 1993 chevy s-10 4.3L. I came home turned the key and all the sudden it was stuck in the accessories position. I couldnt start it back up and I also could cut it completely off. I did get the key out however. I called someone and they said something about ball bearings? And they said it was time comsuming and expensive so I decided to disconnect the steering column myself. I have it almost all the way disconnected (all with a screw driver and a channel locks) anyhow I have the one bolt under the hood i have to take out in order to pull the whole column up. Is this correct? Is there only one more bolt in there or is it more complicated than I thought. I heard it was a common problem the key switch getting stuck? Anyone had this problem or know how to solve it? or how expensive it was?

BlazerLT
10-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Sounds like the gear shifter is not all the way in park.

Put it in neutral and see if you can remove the key.

Mikado14
10-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Had the same thing happen to me except it was the lock set went to lunch. Just pull the steering wheel and change the lock set, didn't have to pull the column.

Fireplug
10-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Sounds like the slider rack in the coloum is bad.
It a 4 inch long piece of pot metal with groves on one end that the key turns and the rack slides and pushes a rod going down to the ing switch.
They brake a lot.
Fireplug

Fireplug
10-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Ok how do I post a pic
or type in GM steering column in Google then look at image its called ign switch actumator Gear.

Add your comment to this topic!