Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

5.9L Starting Problems

nsheaffer
10-19-2004, 07:44 AM
When I start the truck it turns over starts up but then shuts off right away. If I hold the gas on it runs fine. The funny thing is sometimes I start it and it will idle perfect.

All help is greatly appreciated.

tamuhill
10-19-2004, 10:53 AM
sounds like it could be a fuel filter. you could try installing an in-line, clear body filter. cost less than $5 and you can see whats comin thru your fuel lines to know if you need to change the main filter also.

LTJGWorth
10-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Fuel filter, or TPS (throttle position sensor). It's on the driver's side of the throttle body and it tells the computer how much the throttle is opened. If it goes bad, the computer will tell the engine to idle too slow, and it will shut off. Also, it could be a valve that is somewhere on the throttle body that opens and closes when it is at idle. Sometimes they can go bad, or just get a little dirty. I'm not too familiar with that valve, but some other people on here are.

BleedDodge
10-20-2004, 07:10 PM
The IAC (idle air control) valve is dirty or bad. Try cleaning it, and failing that, replace it. If you don't know what to do, go and buy one and then you'll know what it looks like so you know exactly what to remove and change. It's on the side of the throttle body, you'll probably have to take the air cleaner housing off to be able to see it.

LTJGWorth
10-21-2004, 03:12 PM
That's it. Thanks Bleed. The IAC. I knew it was something like that.

Add your comment to this topic!