Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AWD conversion is about to begin

aves911
10-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Just as an update, I got back from Baltimore a week ago and brought home my newest DSM (brings the total up to 3 :shakehead )

Here's the story:
http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion_Picking_AWD_Shell.shtml

It was quite an interesting experience.
I'll be posting updates as I get started tearing down the Talon and the Eclipse.

-Jacob

ashah000
10-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Good luck on the conversion :thumbsup:

BlackShadowTSi
10-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Nice to hear that you are ready to start.
Was the info I pm you useful?, could you understand what i was trying to say? .
if you don't, sorry but english is my 2nd lenguage, tell me and i will try to rewrite it. peace

hellah fresh
10-18-2004, 10:19 PM
what about an all wheel drive Rs? haha maybe a good gain or no point?

aves911
10-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Diego,

Your PM was very informative, the only thing that would be nice would be if you could get some pics of the front bolts for the rear end. The ones where you drilled and put the old GS-T bolts through. Just so I can see before I start on it.

As for a AWD 420a, the driveline won't bolt up, the N/T motor and tranny are reversed from the Turbo.

-Jacob

BlackShadowTSi
10-18-2004, 11:29 PM
i won't have my camera until wensday, i will try to upload some pics on wensday or thurstday.
Glad to hear that the info i gave you helps.

BlackShadowTSi
11-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Jacob,

when are you going to post some pics of your project, i will like to see what you did and how long it will take untill you finish it. i'm almost sure that you are going to finish it before me :).

-Diego

97_3clipse
11-29-2004, 06:19 PM
ya ,you had to make at least alittle progress did you not? update....

aves911
11-30-2004, 11:22 PM
I've got at least a hundred shots taken so far, they are all in the camera downstairs right now. When I finish the write up for this is going to be pretty lengthy.

As far as progress:
I've got the GSX tank and rear end put in the car
The fuel pump and senders are wired in
E-brake cables are installed
Most of the rear suspension is in (I had to order some new control arms to replace bad ones)

I'm getting ready to drill off the driveshaft brackets from the GSX to weld them onto the GS-T.

Most of the "custom" work is done, a little welding is all I've got left. Although I probably won't be done with the entire swap for a while longer because I'm still working with TRE on building an uber tranny.

I'll post up a couple pics in this thread tommorrow.

-Jacob

2of9
12-13-2004, 05:36 PM
ok...lets see the pics. How long did this AWD conversion take?

aves911
12-14-2004, 01:50 AM
What kind of pics do you guys want to see? The pictures themselves really don't mean much without an article to go along with them. But if there is something you would like to see, I'll post a pic up.

As far as a timeline, mine is taking longer than necessary. I completely dissassembled the rear end, cleaned the control arms, replaced some, replace sway bar endlinks, greased all the bolts, replaced diff fluid, resurfaced rotors, painted calipers, and am waiting on a built tranny.

If you were to just use straight donor parts this could really be done in a crammed weekend.

-Jacob

MarkDML
12-21-2004, 03:59 AM
If i am not mistaken, the Evolution engine and tranny can work with the GS body..

1. similar location for the transmission,
2. similar location for the intake
3. you can convert your gs to an awd evo motor and tranny

a friend of mine is working on that

2of9
12-31-2004, 12:01 PM
i'd love to see that in the works MarkDML. post some pics when ever you can.

aves911
01-06-2005, 02:14 AM
The 420a to 4G63 swap is an unbelievable amount of work.

-Jacob

ArchidamusR
04-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Hang on, my '92 Laser RS (which to my knowledge has no functional differences from an Eclipse GS) has a naturally aspirated 4G63 engine. Did that get changed a few years down the road? I'm interested in upgrading to a g2, is why I ask... The less I have to wrestle with, the better.

Of course, if I could convert my g1 to AWD and get a turbo 4G63...

ArchidamusR
04-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Now that I think of it, I'm still not sure I'd be happy with a g1, even if it were modified how I want. Anyone know if I should keep it, or just trade up? A few people I've met swear that g1's were slightly better-performing. And no, I don't believe everything I'm told. :p

coolbreez
04-24-2005, 04:28 PM
that setup is allmost like mine am putting a ford 8.8 rear end in my gst.i have the awd tranny transfer case drive shaft and so on my problem is the 1g awd tranny won't bolt onto the engine which is a 2g.do i need to do a engine swap also?

l_eclipse_l
07-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Wow this thread is updated sooooooo often :eek:

Add your comment to this topic!