Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with changing Passat headlight bulbs

twanny
10-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi, is there a instructions of how to change the front headlight bulbs on a VW Passat 2002 50k miles. Its the third time that my bulb is gone and the dealer charges me £18 + vat to change it everytime. Would I need any special tools to do the job? I would like to do it myself especially because I'm planning to travel the continent shortly. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Twanny

ozzy52
02-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi, is there a instructions of how to change the front headlight bulbs on a VW Passat 2002 50k miles. Its the third time that my bulb is gone and the dealer charges me £18 + vat to change it everytime. Would I need any special tools to do the job? I would like to do it myself especially because I'm planning to travel the continent shortly. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Twannyclick on link
http://home.comcast.net/~slashpub/headlights/ReplacingHeadlightBulbs.pdf

Kurgan666
02-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys, that saved me around a hundred dollars! The funny thing is, I noticed I have brakelight out (not the center ones). Do you have any instructions on that replacement? It's on the driver's side. I think I have to go in through the storage compartment with the Swiss emblems on it. What do you think? Thanks again for your help.

dbyf1
03-08-2005, 01:58 AM
I have a 1996 Passat StationWagon and need to replace the driver side headlight low beam lightbulb

ryb69
03-12-2005, 02:07 AM
click on link

Great instructions. Do you have any for replacing frog light bulbs on a 2001 Passat?

Kurgan666
03-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Great instructions. Do you have any for replacing frog light bulbs on a 2001 Passat?

I don't have any instructions for that. But it looks easy (at least on the drivers side). They are the rubber enclosed circles (bulbs behind) to the left of the headlight ones (looking at the front of the car). To do them on the passenger side, you may need to follow the instructions for the headlight replacement (to remove the airflow thing) to get to it. Hope it helps, mine was a 2000 and the guy's instructions still worked. Good luck.

SEKirk144
06-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi, is there a instructions of how to change the front headlight bulbs on a VW Passat 2002 50k miles. Its the third time that my bulb is gone and the dealer charges me £18 + vat to change it everytime. Would I need any special tools to do the job? I would like to do it myself especially because I'm planning to travel the continent shortly. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Twanny

bimska
06-12-2006, 10:43 AM

Great instructions on headlight replacement.

Changing the fogs is easy: (This worked on my 2004 Passat)

1. Carefully remove bumper grill assembly. There are a few plastic clips holding this onto bumper. They will break easily if not careful

2. You will see the foglight housing with 3 phillips head screws holding it to the frame. Remove all 3 screws.

3. Remove Old halogen lamp by opening two spring closures. Carefully disconnect lamp.

4. Complete in reverse. Takes about 5-10 minutes in total.

mooserk
09-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys for the "changing a headlight" pdf.

The 2004 Passat TDI book says that it should be done by a dealer shop - and that's all it says ! The PDF directions are great and really quite simple - what were they thinking, "take it to a dealer service shop!" Yeah right !

I'm thinkin' big hands might make the job a little tougher, but I'll get 'er done.

Great Forum,
Moose

hanes
02-04-2007, 05:17 AM
I can only agree with moose, was only seconds away from heading to the workshop before finding this very nice forum
Thanks a lot

wseverin
06-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Anyone have advice on how to replace the factory HID xenon (outboard) bulbs? I can't see how to get near them, let alone replace them.

sperk07
08-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Same here. I have a 2002 VW Passat W8 and need instructions on replacing the Xenon HID headlights.

Add your comment to this topic!