Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Revell 1969 Camaro Yenko 427 Coupe

cooltc2004
10-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Yeah, bought the model, and have been working on it for a while, and will get pictures of my progress soon.

One problem I am having tho is getting the wheels to stay on the axle, front and back. In the directions it shows to just push them on, but they either fall right back off, or dont go on at all. Anyone build this kit and know what to do?

/edit: Oh, and I plan on making a COPO camaro out of this, so no fancy badging, no stripes, just plan camaro with a 427 under the hood. I would like to use reg camaro wheels, but like i said, none want to stay on =(

will69camaro
10-18-2004, 04:25 PM
remember to paint the reg wheels body color where there isn't a cap or trim ring to be authentic...even cooler paint the engine aluminum and make it a ZL1 clone :) That's what i plan on doing when i get that model.

Jaymes
10-18-2004, 04:29 PM
about the rims... you need to push them in harder to get them in. be careful not to break anything though. good luck!

primera man
10-18-2004, 07:08 PM
The end of the axle should flare out on the tip so the wheel can be pushed on and stay in place....you haven't cut it to short when removing it from the sprue?

cooltc2004
10-18-2004, 09:15 PM
the thing was I followed directions, so I was putting the wheels on when it was all assembled. That might not sound like a problem, but when I tryed to put on the front wheels, the upper control arms would pop off. I managed to get it tho, thanks everyone for your help. Pics will come soon.

Scale-Master
10-19-2004, 09:53 AM
On those kits I attach the wheels/tires to the lower control arms piece before cementing it to the chassis. You can get more straight on muscle to snap the wheel on without bending the spindle & control arm that way. This is the same basic kit, built out of the box, but with the small block. - Mark
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Scale-Master/Scale-Master%20Models/DSC08669.jpg

Jaymes
10-19-2004, 08:51 PM
underbody looks incredible! But you should start a thread in the In progress section.

cooltc2004
10-19-2004, 09:45 PM
wow that looks incredible, makes mine look like childs play. Thanks for the tip btw

/edit: How did you get the black plaint like that, that isnt just flat black is it? Also, any tips for keeping a steady hand when painting the brake lines?

Scale-Master
10-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks, this one is done, I can post the finished pics in the Street section. It was a quick one week out of the box "cannonball" build.

For the chassis, I started with a base coat of flat black, just use your favorite. Then I airbrushed thinned out medium gray, dark gray and some earthtone browns and dark tans lightly over it repeating the colors on top of each other until it looked right. A little splattering is ok, it doesn't have to be uniform. Then I gave it a wash of dark gray to blend the colors into a light grime look, let fully dry, and then sporadically dry brushed medium gray to pick up the highlights.

For detail painting I use a regular liner style brush No.2 size. The larger bristles keep wet longer and therefore make a smoother line. Keep it wet, but not saturated and don't be afraid to make mistakes. If you do, fix them. If you know how to fix your mistakes you'll be far less likely to make them. And just practice.

Here's a shot of the engine bay. I used the same light weathering approach with washes and dry brushing on it too. It's meant to portray a used, but well maintaing vehicle. - Mark
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Scale-Master/Scale-Master%20Models/DSC08692.jpg

76 maverick
10-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Great detail on the engin bay , looks like a real brake booster there ! Just a tip for the carbs; you could drill the four holes in them to make them a little more real (not that you need to they look great) :smile:

Scale-Master
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
No, that's not allowed in the IPMS Out Of The Box rules. But there is venturi detail in there that I added, you can barely make it out in this shot, much easier to see in person. - Mark
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Scale-Master/Scale-Master%20Models/DSC08691.jpg

76 maverick
10-20-2004, 03:09 PM
No, that's not allowed in the IPMS Out Of The Box rules

oh well that sucks :disappoin

primera man
10-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Great looking detail work.

cooltc2004
10-21-2004, 07:49 AM
any tips on painting the camaro logo on the front and rear of the car so it looks like it should, not paint all over the place? Little harder to touch up your mistakes on a fixished body. (Ill look at my detailing kit, it might have one made out of metal.)

Scale-Master
10-21-2004, 10:00 AM
The Pace Car and the SS396 kits by R/M come with those scripts in the box on the Scale-Master decal sheets. The SS396 kit would be the better choice in my opinion, the printing quality is better and there are more decals on that sheet.
Otherwise, I would just use the same brush I described above with your favorite enamel, not acrylic, chrome silver paint. - Mark

ONEBADMK8
10-21-2004, 12:42 PM
That chassis is AWESOME! Incredible work.

cooltc2004
10-21-2004, 01:21 PM
the pace car kit, link?

Scale-Master
10-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Don't have a link, you'll just have to find the kit... - Mark

Add your comment to this topic!