Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clutch - High Pitched Sqeaking

geekboy
10-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Just started 2 days ago. Jeep with approximately 97K miles, 97 Jeep Wrangler.

The noise happens when I gear down and when going from stop to start, it stops after Jeep is in second gear and up. (5 speed)

Do I need to replace the clutch or is it something to do with the bearings in the clutch itself?

What kind of costs am I looking at either way.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

djmoore85
10-18-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm guessin with 97K you've replaced the clutch at least once, but anyway, i hav a 94 that did the same thing after replacing the tranny, and double check how well the bellhousing is matched up to the engine block. also check for any leaks that might be causing minor slippage. the noise on mine went away and i haven't had any trouble with it, it engages fine and doesn't slip at all, so maybe something is just workin itself in. hopefully it ain't a pilot bearing, that's a pain in the @$$. check those deals and see what you can find.

djmoore85
10-18-2004, 07:47 PM
oh, if it's been awhile since you did the clutch, or haven't done it at all, it might be that. approx. cost 500-800 depending on your area and what kind of clutch you put in

stangfreak7
10-25-2004, 11:16 AM
It shouldnt be you pin bearing b/c it is a pin bearing and is made to run an extended amount of time, however your clutch bearing is probally the culprit if it has 97,000 miles on it. However, if you are going to do the work yourself, which isnt to hard you can buy a new bearing, preassure plates for around 350 from most places. If you do this though, or even have someone else do it, be sure to get the fly wheels turned down when you do it. Have it surfaced good before you put it back in. this will make a world of difference on how the jeep grabs and takes off.

klrdaddy
10-31-2004, 08:56 AM
I am new to the Jeep world, but not new to manual transmissions. You have a bad throw out bearing...just change all 3 (clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing) and you will be new

Add your comment to this topic!