Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995-2003 S10 & Blazer Front End Clunk Pop Fix!!! Read!!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

turbotwo1
03-15-2008, 03:52 PM
LT, is that part still availible at dealers? i'll have to test my truck to see if i have that dreaded rattle.

It should be I just picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Just use the part number that u can find earlyer in this thread. I think it was about $3 for one at my dealership.

ZL1power69
03-15-2008, 07:50 PM
checked mine today, hood hinges are solid so no clunk there :thumbsup:

dmtorres6
05-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Blazer LT - You are a genius!! :loser:

I tightened the hinge bolt on the passenger side and..........NO MORE NOISE!!!!!!! Thank you so much for posting this. I dropped off my truck at the local GM dealership and they kept my car for three days without finding the source of this noise. The work order said the technician lubed the wheel stops. I still heard the sound immediately after leaving the dealership. I was so mad that I didn't bother turning around to complain and lose my car for another few days. TheY fixed my fuel gauge issue and I'm happy about that but I don't understand why the technician didn't refer to the advisory concerning this issue. I fixed the problem myself in 15 minutes thanks to your post. Thanks again Blazer LT my truck feels solid again. No more embarrassing clunks, squeaks, and burps!!!! :lol:

TheTeZ
07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
wow, this thread has been alive forever.... i really hope this will solve my problems..... i have a s-15 91 v6 4.3L jimmy and ive got this horrable clunk, i am really hopeing this will solve my problem, i just replaced my ball joints and let my shop do it this time cost me 400 bucks which i am not happy about, ive gotten so many other things replaced all mybushings replaced..... am not sure what i have done about my sway bar was going to check that....

My problem is; around turns i get this loud clunk that i can feel on the floor. i can feel it on the drivers side, but passengers say it is VERY noticable.
i will try the hood thing see if its loose at all tomorrow, and when i get some money see about the torsion bar mounts, or see if they are loose....

this should work with a 91 right?

BlazerLT
07-25-2008, 11:31 PM
wow, this thread has been alive forever.... i really hope this will solve my problems..... i have a s-15 91 v6 4.3L jimmy and ive got this horrable clunk, i am really hopeing this will solve my problem, i just replaced my ball joints and let my shop do it this time cost me 400 bucks which i am not happy about, ive gotten so many other things replaced all mybushings replaced..... am not sure what i have done about my sway bar was going to check that....

My problem is; around turns i get this loud clunk that i can feel on the floor. i can feel it on the drivers side, but passengers say it is VERY noticable.
i will try the hood thing see if its loose at all tomorrow, and when i get some money see about the torsion bar mounts, or see if they are loose....

this should work with a 91 right?

Clunking in an 1994 and earlier is usally due to the torsion bar mount pretty well under your driver's or passenger's seat.

BlazerLT
07-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Blazer LT - You are a genius!! :loser:

I tightened the hinge bolt on the passenger side and..........NO MORE NOISE!!!!!!! Thank you so much for posting this. I dropped off my truck at the local GM dealership and they kept my car for three days without finding the source of this noise. The work order said the technician lubed the wheel stops. I still heard the sound immediately after leaving the dealership. I was so mad that I didn't bother turning around to complain and lose my car for another few days. TheY fixed my fuel gauge issue and I'm happy about that but I don't understand why the technician didn't refer to the advisory concerning this issue. I fixed the problem myself in 15 minutes thanks to your post. Thanks again Blazer LT my truck feels solid again. No more embarrassing clunks, squeaks, and burps!!!! :lol:

Glad you all are happy. :)

bb1081
07-28-2008, 04:02 PM
99 Blazer Fuel Probs. There is very little fuel pressure in the lines. Is there a clog or is the pump going bad. I checked the fuel valve (on top near the carb.) and it drizzles out....

BlazerLT
07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
99 Blazer Fuel Probs. There is very little fuel pressure in the lines. Is there a clog or is the pump going bad. I checked the fuel valve (on top near the carb.) and it drizzles out....

Change your fuel pressure regulator.

ZL1power69
07-29-2008, 05:06 PM
keep this on topic please :nono:. Post a thread in the problem diagnosis section.

dmtorres6
08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Update: After tightening the bolts the sound went away for about two weeks
until I hit a really rough road under construction. The noise came back with a vengence. At least this time I knew where it was coming from thanks to BlazerLT's tip.

:banghead: :crying:
I then purchased the spring washers. I only had noise on the passenger side but I put the washers on both sides. Now everything is nice and snug. No slop. Still can't believe the dealership did not refer to their service advisories. Truck feels solid again despite all its quirks. At least one quirk is gone.
Thanks again BlazerLT :grinno: :) :ylsuper:

BlazerLT
08-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Update: After tightening the bolts the sound went away for about two weeks
until I hit a really rough road under construction. The noise came back with a vengence. At least this time I knew where it was coming from thanks to BlazerLT's tip.

:banghead: :crying:
I then purchased the spring washers. I only had noise on the passenger side but I put the washers on both sides. Now everything is nice and snug. No slop. Still can't believe the dealership did not refer to their service advisories. Truck feels solid again despite all its quirks. At least one quirk is gone.
Thanks again BlazerLT :grinno: :) :ylsuper:

*clicks heels* *salutes*

05blazer
09-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Blazer LT, I was wondering what was changed in 2004 as your original post states "from 9?-03". I have a 05 ZR2 with 77k that has a bad case of the clunks coming from the front drivers side, to the point of me crossing my fingers on washboard roads!! Intrestingly I checked the hood and have about an 1/8 of inch play on the PASSENGER side. Four year old thread still going strong... thanks in advance for any suggestions....

BlazerLT
09-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Blazer LT, I was wondering what was changed in 2004 as your original post states "from 9?-03". I have a 05 ZR2 with 77k that has a bad case of the clunks coming from the front drivers side, to the point of me crossing my fingers on washboard roads!! Intrestingly I checked the hood and have about an 1/8 of inch play on the PASSENGER side. Four year old thread still going strong... thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Probably the same thing. The cone washers should fix it right up. Good luck.

05blazer
10-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Might as well change the year to 1995-2005...... I did the fix and it worked flawlessly on my 05....... and I'm sure saved me some serious $$$$$$... thanks Blazer LT.

As a side note: truck returned the favour by turning on the CEL and unfortunatly unlike the clunk I don't think it will be a $10 fix. Thoughts and ideas welcome here http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=924387.

linz1985
11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
So yeah I totally stunned my fiance by fixing clunk noise since this thread showed me how.. But there is still vibration going on.. any sugestions???

leadman
11-10-2008, 11:42 AM
this post is great i just read it and tried the towels and i cant believe that was the problem. the clunking drove me crazy!! thank you

rontomed
08-29-2009, 09:19 AM
The links for the video & service bulletin do not work. Does anyone have fresh links? I need these very badly for my '99 Blazer LT.

BlazerLT
08-31-2009, 05:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PUO-BDM0o

Here is the video I made on youtube.

laxman21
10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/therealsundance/DSC00309.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/therealsundance/DSC00310.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/therealsundance/DSC00311.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/therealsundance/DSC00312.jpg

BlazerLT
10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Nice, that about sums it up!

moosejohnson
02-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks again BlazerLT. I came across this post a couple years ago and it fixed my problem. The clunk came back a few weeks ago and I forgot about this solution and came across again. I put a towel under the hinge and the clunk went away. Ordered the washers and should be good to go!

Cheers!

Christophe Salvain
04-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Nice, that about sums it up!

Thank you very very much Laxman21 and BlazerLT.
I fixed this à£*%²"#@ clunk with adviced washer.

T.C.

Christophe

Gremlin1953
06-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I know this is an old post, but I just found it. I too am having the same problem. But I can't get the links on this post to work. What hinges are you talking about? I am desperate to fix this. Thanks!

usmailman956
06-19-2010, 04:55 PM
The hood hinges have a bolt that will take them apart the cone washer that is talked about goes on that bolt and tightens the hinges together and centers them with the cone

twokings77
07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Hopefully this thread is still active. My 96 Blazer 4dr 4WD has had a very loud clunk noise in the front end. This happens most in parking maneuvers, usually while backing with the wheels turned to the right. It sounds as though it is in the left front wheel area. When this happens, the entire vehicle lurches and it is usually felt in the steering wheel.
I have been chasing this off and on for a little over ten years. I have replaced all ball joints (Moog), idler arm (GM), upper control arms and bushings, and today: both front hubs... no luck.
I doubt this is a hood hinge problem, but this thread seems to have some people that may have run across this or can tell me where else to look.
thanks.

reramos27
11-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Fixed my 95 Blazer yesterday and the noise dissapear. Great work for posting and saving a lot of money.

reramos27
11-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks Blazer LT for posting. Fixed my 95 Blazer yesterday and run like new. My wife was surprised and I told her I saw it in Automobile Forum.

again thank you

faychin
10-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Great fix and utube video. I have installed shocks and sway bar end links and did not fix. Finally found this fix and it worked great. Now my wife will quit complaining about the rattle which has been happening for five years to our 2000 Jimmy 4dr 4wd. Thanks

appletreasures
03-30-2012, 10:45 PM
IT COULD BE A MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM!!

I had a similar with my 1990 S-10 Blazer but the cause was much more serious. On the passenger side, where the upper control arm attaches to the frame, the rear bolt tore through the bracket and was allowing control are to flex forward and backward as well as up and down, when I came to a stop and again when I released the brake from a stop. It would make a clunking noise. It had been doing it for several months. I thought it was just the floating front brake pad making noise when applied and released. I finally got it narrowed down by having someone apply the brakes while backing up while I looked under the front of the Blazer. I could see the sway bar hit the frame as the upper control arm rocked. After examining the bracket carefully the repair person noticed that the bolt hole had failed before and was welded. Now the area next to the weld had failed. As a temporary fix, the repair person modified (fabricated) a 1/2 inch thick steel bracket to hook under the existing bracket. He pounded the torn metal back in place and pit another 1/2 inch plate on other side of existing bracket and bolted it all back together. The extra metal required the removal of all the alignment shims on that bolt and adding a bunch of alignment shims to the other bolt. That was done last night. It seems to work fine and does not pull to a side. I'll be monitoring the bracket carefully for the next few weeks every time I go to drive to ensure it has not come loose. Getting the front end may now be a big problem because a professional shop will likely refuse to do it because of potential liability concerns. Next step will probably be to get a replacement bracket either from dealer or wrecking yard and have it welded to frame.

Has anyone else had this failure?
Since it was welded before, we suspect it may be a common failure.

johnny lovsey
10-14-2012, 12:07 AM
I checked the hood It wasnt loose at all.But i baught the washers any way installed them correctly torked to 18 foot pounds.Still had the noise.Bought locktite did the threads bolt and all.Noise still there put rags under the risers took for drive not any noise at all.Took some sticky back weather striping 1-16 x 1/4 wide laid strips under the riser to hold it up like the rags did. Put in 4 strips on top of each other with the last one leaving the plastic covering on so it wouldnt stick to the riser just the lip of the fender. And to each other strip.I personelly think its the little strip that is tack welded to the inside of the fender were you cant see it.The other end is the part that the hood bolts through to hold the hood in place. hope this helps you Blazer owners out there it took me forever to get it rite with the way noise travels i checked out everything from the ball joints shocks stabilizer bar tie rod ends brake calipers you name it.:runaround:

great1putt
04-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Holy Moly...Got a spring washer and voila!...clunk gone. I'll be danged. Thanks for the find!!! :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!