Broken Seat Recliner Handle

C5Longhorn
10-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi. I'm a new member and this is my first post. I just discovered this site and have a question about a problem I'm having with my passenger seat. The reclining handle broke off at the shaft mounted to the actuator. I've heard there is a better part available that I can buy and upgrade to. I've also seen ads on Ebay for a fix to the broken shaft. It reuses the old handle and basically attaches over the broken shaft with some set screws.

I was wondering if any members have had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? Also, how happy are you with the course of repair?

Thanks and I look forward to learning alot from this site! :smile:

dogtired78
10-17-2004, 10:19 AM
I found a complete repair kit at my local Federated Auto Parts. It's got a steel shank that fits over the broken off actuator rod and a screw you drill in crosswise. You don't have to reuse the handle.

This is a common fatigue problem on blazers. Both seats on mine were broken. The only drawback is that the kit is expensive, around $38.00

C5Longhorn
10-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the response. Are you happy with this fix?

Rick

C5Longhorn
10-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Nobody else has had this problem?

BlazerLT
10-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Go to the wrecker and get a replacement and replace it.

Simple as that. And make sure the person leans forward before using it to stop it from snapping next time.

A lot of morons liek to push back while they pull up the lever.

C5Longhorn
10-23-2004, 03:54 PM
I would like to order the parts from GM parts direct. Does anyone know how to find out what part # corresponds to what color?

BlazerLT
10-23-2004, 08:03 PM
I would give them a quick call.

C5Longhorn
10-24-2004, 01:37 PM
I would give them a quick call.

Thanks. They won't take phone calls. :banghead: I've emailed their customer service but don't know when I'll get a response.

mw2
10-25-2004, 11:06 AM
You can look at the following links for possible fixes: http://www.gmseatfix.com or http://www.wittydeals.com/product_info.php?products_id=29&osCsid=ded0b8f65c5d61738876f6e053552a08 .

You can also do a search on the word recliner on this forum to get more information. Another link that is helpful is: http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=offroadchevysmall&Number=1313629&Forum=All_Forums&Words=broken%20recliner%20handle%20fix&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1280353&Search=true .

I had a 2000 Blazer where the passenger side broke and I fixed it under warranty. I sold that Blazer and bought a 1998 Blazer (two months ago) which had both sides broken. Was going to order one of the alternative fixes but on a lark, I email customer assistance center at http://www.gm.com/ . I couldn't believe it but guess what, they fixed both sides free. The service manager that I worked with was very helpful.

I emailed two times to Gm Parts Direct. The first time they emailed back in three days. I'm still waiting for the second time - it's been a week.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

JoshBarber
02-22-2005, 04:08 PM
just ordered mine from WittyDeals. Thanks! Do they come with install instructions?

TonyMazz
02-22-2005, 04:40 PM
just ordered mine from WittyDeals. Thanks! Do they come with install instructions?

I ordered mine from gmfixseats and they take a conventional handle and install a sleeve that will fit over your old shaft, then there is an allen screw that will tighten it securely.

My seat handle broke, and a junk yard would not have fixed it, as the shaft was broken down the middle, as they have a slot. I suspect that is what could have happened in your case.

To have GM repair it would cost you about $150 bucks as they rip out the old mechanism and install a new one...the same white metal as the old one. You are doing the most cost effective repair with this handle.

JoshBarber
02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
yeah, the one I bought is the same. if you look at the link it shows where they normally break off. Thats where mine broke. A used one wouldnt have worked, and probably wouldve broken shortly after anyway. Its obviously very common!

JoshBarber
03-02-2005, 03:38 PM
just a heads up.......

FYI-
I just saw today that AutoZone carries the same one I purchased from WittyDeals.

toenailclippers
03-02-2005, 04:48 PM
dude, just use a pair of vice grips. they are about 10 bucks, andthey are always in the truck if you ever need them. just adjust the tension to wrap the middle ofthe grips' aronud the old shaft and...WALA!! new seat reciner handle. ive had a pir of vice grips on my 98 blazer for 5 years and had NO problems whatsoever

JoshBarber
03-02-2005, 05:16 PM
if I didnt care what it looked like, that'd be a good fix. but since I prefer a decent looking vehicle....a couple of bux for a handle fix is fine

BlazerLT
03-02-2005, 06:43 PM
dude, just use a pair of vice grips. they are about 10 bucks, andthey are always in the truck if you ever need them. just adjust the tension to wrap the middle ofthe grips' aronud the old shaft and...WALA!! new seat reciner handle. ive had a pir of vice grips on my 98 blazer for 5 years and had NO problems whatsoever

:lol:

Instead of replacing a gear shifter, just use a screwdriver and duct tape.

Ghetto fixes is just NOT the way to do the job properly.

blazee
03-02-2005, 07:38 PM
I've always called vice grips "chevy window cranks"

Add your comment to this topic!